English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 August 2016, 02:21   #1
mritter0

USB devices

Is it possible to emulate USB ports to use with OS4 Classic? So we can use thumb drives and external harddrives.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 August 2016, 15:56   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hardware USB emulation? Not easy and very complex but probably will happen someday.

Removable disks work under OS4 just like under 3.x, there is no need for actual USB emulation.
Old 11 August 2016, 20:22   #3
mritter0

So I can insert/remove USB thumb drives in OS4 Classic in WinUAE? How?

I am finishing up a project and want to know when a USB device is inserted/removed, and be notified with IDCMP_DISKINSERTED/REMOVED, like a floppy does.
Old 11 August 2016, 20:52   #4
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Hardware USB emulation? Not easy and very complex but probably will happen someday.
VirtualBox supports emulation of USB mass storage devices since version 5.0, perhaps the source code of that could be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mritter0 View Post
So I can insert/remove USB thumb drives in OS4 Classic in WinUAE? How?

I am finishing up a project and want to know when a USB device is inserted/removed, and be notified with IDCMP_DISKINSERTED/REMOVED, like a floppy does.
I don't think that's possible (currently). Inserting or removing the medium into/from a removable drive is different logically to removing the (non-removable-media) drive itself and replacing it with a different drive. Though if that's how OS4 handles USB mass storage devices then emulation of a USB host controller could help there??
Old 11 August 2016, 21:38   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
VirtualBox supports emulation of USB mass storage devices since version 5.0, perhaps the source code of that could be useful.
There is much more than technical problems...

Because USB is something I don't really see the point to emulate (only point being "for completeness", another boring PC feature), I have very specific requirements.

I won't do anything until someone sends me FULL specs of "All OS" (=OS3.x, OS4, netbsd, linux) compatible (=has drivers) USB hardware board. Full Amiga address space to whatever USB chip wiring. Must be USB chip that has full specs available. Must be Z2/Z3 (for all Amiga compatibility, clock port is stupid hack) There must be enough low level test programs for debugging. I must also have the board.

USB boards are not ancient or obsolete devices that require reverse-engineering. I REQUIRE full specs.

I also won't bother to contact anyone (No one understands emulation and emulation requirements anyway, I don't want to answer stupid questions).

-> Above tasks are 100% Someone Else's Problem.

Quote:
I don't think that's possible (currently). Inserting or removing the medium into/from a removable drive is different logically to removing the (non-removable-media) drive itself and replacing it with a different drive. Though if that's how OS4 handles USB mass storage devices then emulation of a USB host controller could help there??
UAE removable drive support (when mounting for example USB drives that are PC formatted) sends usual IECLASS_DISKINSERTED/IECLASS_DISKREMOVED input events. (WB would not notice the change without it)

Remove hardfiles/Amiga harddrives are totally different thing. It probably won't work in OS4.
Old 12 August 2016, 00:10   #6
mritter0

CD & Hard drives->Automount removable drives
does exactly what I want. Just never tried it. I don't want to remove hardfiles, just USB thumb drives and such.

Include removable drives...
does what? No help bubble for it.
Old 12 August 2016, 18:02   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
There is much more than technical problems...
Ciao Toni, Excuse my ignorance in this area, but you could not use the editing mode that is on AROS?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 December 2016 at 18:58.
Old 12 August 2016, 20:39   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mritter0 View Post
Include removable drives...
does what? No help bubble for it.
Mount all inserted removable devices at boot (as normal devices). There is no (at least not yet) support to mount removable drives as Amiga removable drives at boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Ciao Toni, Excuse my ignorance in this area, but you could not use the editing mode that is on AROS?
Editing mode?

AROS does not emulate any USB hardware. NOTHING emulates Amiga USB hardware! No OS needs to do it. Only emulators and virtual machines need it.
Old 12 August 2016, 20:51   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Toni is right, I expressed myself badly I (because of my bad english), I know that AROS USB devices are natively views, in my ignorance, i thought of something that would emulate
AdSense AdSense