English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 August 2016, 11:04   #21
TroyWilkins

Good news everybody, my A600 is repaired, and I'll have it back here soon to enjoy! I got this email (edited for security reasons):

Click image for larger version

Name:	A600Repair-done.png
Views:	128
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	49319

Which I consider to be quite fair and reasonable.

I'm looking forward to getting it back and setting it up!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 August 2016, 14:45   #22
TroyWilkins

I just noticed on this page: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1102

Quote:
Compatiblity
The ACA 620EC is also compatible with the A603, A604 and A604n Chip memory expansions.

We have identified that some revision 2D A600 boards have stability problems with the ACA 620EC- all other revisions are unaffected.
Mine is a rev 2D A600... Hmm... Does anyone have any information on this or suggestions? Should I consider something else for speeding up the A600 and adding some fast ram while I wait for my Vampire II?
Old 07 August 2016, 16:35   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TroyWilkins

ACA620 Stabiliy problems
This is interesting, but i note the word "some" in the statement, of those some I wonder why not all - from this I would suspect a good few would probably required capacitor replacement. However that is an assumption I would be happy to make - others might not.

While I have not tried a rev 2D board, I have here several 1.3 and 1.5's only one required the CPU to be re-flowed and I think that was an earlier 1.3. with that aside a good CPU clean with an alcohol wipe is recommended and good solid contact maintained.

Other Options
FAST RAM Adaptor
There are some K608's or A608's about in the wild some come up for sale from time to time try www.amibay.com and put up a wanted advert. These will give you upto 8MB of FAST RAM which is quite delightful

Furia 020@33MHz
These are delightful little accelerators that will give you about 6.5MIPS with 9.5MB of FAST RAM. These can be difficult to get however as they are usually built in batches - I believe that there maybe one at the moment have a look on www.amibay.com
Thoughts...
Here in lies the problem with retro-collecting, it can easily become a cash-sink. As alexh would say "nostalgia is worth more than money", I would suggest finding a budget and sticking to it - it makes the things that are too big to go under wifie-radar more likely to happen

Personally I would try out an ACA620 - but I say this with the following caveat
I have tools and rudimentary enough knowledge where I can fix any problems including complete IC replacements - if in a worse case where I cannot - I live in Europe so I can get a different motherboard quite quickly and inexpensively.
Also you could approach www.amigakit.com with an email asking more about the "stability issues of some" of 2D motherboards, what if any would they consider a fault, did they do anything to rectify any "unstable" boards, for example CPU flowing or capacitor replacement? did this alleviate the fault or improve stability?

Another idea might be to have a look around for a local retro / Amiga computer club in your area - you may find other Amiga owners that can meet up and share knowledge and hardware for additional testing

Last edited by Zetr0; 07 August 2016 at 16:43.
Old 12 August 2016, 03:23   #24
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Also you could approach www.amigakit.com with an email asking more about the "stability issues of some" of 2D motherboards, what if any would they consider a fault, did they do anything to rectify any "unstable" boards, for example CPU flowing or capacitor replacement? did this alleviate the fault or improve stability?

Another idea might be to have a look around for a local retro / Amiga computer club in your area - you may find other Amiga owners that can meet up and share knowledge and hardware for additional testing
Thank you, have done, awaiting a response from them now.

And I don't like the odds of finding anyone in my part of the world, I'm in what is regarded as a fairly rural area of North West Tasmania. I know there are still a number of Amiga people over in Melbourne, but there is a body of water in the way for me, preventing me from getting there without needing to plan a trip - kind of like England and mainland Europe, only we only have a ferry and aeroplane options to go each way. There may be some people down in Hobart, but that's about a 4 hour drive each way, so 8 hours of driving in the one day - a bit too far. Where I live is beautiful, but it's a fair distance to almost anywhere and anyone else, haha.

Name:	2016-08-12.png
Views:	74
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	49381

Name:	2016-08-11 10.45.44.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	49382

Name:	waterfallkids.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	49383

Anyway, now that my A600 is repaired and working correctly and will be in my hands again soon, can anyone please recommend where the best places to purchase things online from would be, I want to order a 1Mb expansion now and a 9 pin atari-style joystick so we can play games on it. Amigakit.com ? Somewhere else?
Old 12 August 2016, 06:46   #25
Akira

You can try Vesalia, personally I prefer them usually.
Old 12 August 2016, 10:38   #26
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TroyWilkins

That looks like some beautiful country! I can see why you choose to settle down there - while remote - as long as there is a pub and internet - its a win!

I suspect you have a very close knit community - thats great for the kids to grow up in =)

@Thread
As the largest commercial Amiga Retailers I have done lots of business with both www.vesalia.de and www.amigakit.com - I have but only good things to say about them - you can use either and you wont be displeased!.

I often find that Amigakit usually has slightly lower prices - i.e. the A604n (1MB CHIP RAM / ClockPort Upgrade) is currently 26.80 where as Vesalia.de is $50.47 AUD - where they come into their own is that they stock some of the bigger upgrades compared to Amigakit - but I do avail myself of both services.

Sadly both seem to be out of the ACA620 accelerator (not surprised its great!) but keep a look out or question stocks.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:25   #27
AJCopland

I got a Furia from Lotharek, he's got an ebay store -> http://www.ebay.com/sch/lotharek1977...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 12 August 2016, 11:26   #28
AJCopland

I should add that I have a Vampire 600 now which is ... frankly astonishing in performance in comparison to anything including my 68060 equipped A4000
Old 12 August 2016, 12:01   #29
TroyWilkins

I remembered that Amibay is a thing, and that I'm a member there, so have posted in the Want to Buy/Wanted Hardware/Amiga and have already received a few responses. Now it appears I have a good reason to start a PayPal account, so I have done that now and am in the process of getting it all setup right now.

Thank you so very much for the responses, so good to see that the Amiga community is still alive and well and so full of great, friendly, helpful people.
Old 12 August 2016, 13:12   #30
TroyWilkins

I'm sure this is a stupid question to ask, but anyway...

What version of Workbench/AmigaOS should I be installing as my base?

As people have noticed, my kickstart is soldered on, and I do not have the required skill to unsolder it, so until I get an expansion that enables using a later kickstart (such as I believe can be done with the ACA620 and Vampire II), I'll be stuck with 2.05 (37.300).

So, do I put Workbench 2.1 on the mass storage, or do I go with 3.1?

I guess I feel stupid because I never really did much with any machines with less than Kickstart 3.0 back in the day, and then it was simple, I had Kickstart 3.0 and Workbench 3.0. But will 3.0 or 3.1 work correctly on a 2.05 ROM, or should I be using 2.1 instead?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12 August 2016, 15:06   #31
Akira

Once you get the Furia you can softkick any Kickstart you want using skick http://aminet.net/util/boot/skick346.lha

However I don't know what you want to do with it. I am fine with 2.1 on my expanded A600, I don't need 3.x at all. 2.1 is basically 3.0 for 2.x ROMs anyway, the release or der of Workbenchs is 3.0, 2.1 and 3.1 . So it's got features from 3.x like Locale and CrossDOS.

I'd say stick to 2.1.
Old 12 August 2016, 15:16   #32
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Once you get the Furia you can softkick any Kickstart you want using skick http://aminet.net/util/boot/skick346.lha

However I don't know what you want to do with it. I am fine with 2.1 on my expanded A600, I don't need 3.x at all. 2.1 is basically 3.0 for 2.x ROMs anyway, the release or der of Workbenchs is 3.0, 2.1 and 3.1 . So it's got features from 3.x like Locale and CrossDOS.

I'd say stick to 2.1.
Main thing I want to do is give the kids a feel for what using an Amiga was like, programs like DPaint and PPaint (and a ton of others that I can't think of right now), and be able to play classic games using WHDLoad or loading off floppy.
Old 12 August 2016, 15:47   #33
Akira

If you really want to give them that, you don't even need an accelerator. Let them suffer through standard 68k speeds

Honestly, for your use, you didn't even need an accelerator. I hate it when people tell you you MUST have one in your Amiga. It all depends on use, and buying upgrades soon turns into a slippery slope where you plonk a lot of funds onto peripherals you may probably never use to their fullest.

For a lot of game activity and especially retro nostalgia, a stock system is JUST FINE. If you want to play games off HD you only need some Fast RAM, but if you get a Gotek, you don't even need the HD (and you get a larger library of games available). Also if you load from HD, again, you miss the "feeling" of days past.
Old 12 August 2016, 15:55   #34
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If you really want to give them that, you don't even need an accelerator. Let them suffer through standard 68k speeds

Honestly, for your use, you didn't even need an accelerator. I hate it when people tell you you MUST have one in your Amiga. It all depends on use, and buying upgrades soon turns into a slippery slope where you plonk a lot of funds onto peripherals you may probably never use to their fullest.

For a lot of game activity and especially retro nostalgia, a stock system is JUST FINE. If you want to play games off HD you only need some Fast RAM, but if you get a Gotek, you don't even need the HD (and you get a larger library of games available). Also if you load from HD, again, you miss the "feeling" of days past.
In days gone past, both my A1200 and A4000/040 had hard disks, which even back then, had a few games on them (Civ, Syndicate, Frontier to name a few off the top of my head from memory), and obviously both were quicker than a stock A600 will be, hahaha.

Also, I can see myself using it, particularly when it has a faster CPU - I really miss using an Amiga, and we all know despite how good WinUAE is, it's just not the same.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:28   #35
TroyWilkins

I got my A600 back today, plugged it in and tried a few of the disks I got with it, and it works! Now, to get a joystick, a 1Mb RAM expansion (already got leads on both over at AmiBay), organise some sort of mass storage (I love the look of the SSD solution you posted earlier Zetr0, so I think I'll go with that, but for now, I'm just happy to have a working A600.

Pictures coming soon if anyone wants to see.

Last edited by TroyWilkins; 19 August 2016 at 06:31. Reason: removed where I had made it clear I hadn't looked at what is printed on the kickstart ROM properly, lol
Old 19 August 2016, 17:52   #36
mr.spiv

Quote:
Another CPU option I forgot to mention is the Furia020

Furia020 Accelerator
This little beast runs at 28Mhz and supports 9MB of fast (zero wait state) menory AND an FPU, also at 28MHz, you get about 5.5 MIPS and a good couple of MFLOPS as well - great if you want to have a play with some intensive applications (image processing / ray tracing) - this card is also cleverly PCMCIA compatible should you want to run removable Mass Storage or PCMCIA networking by holding CTRL+LA+RA keys for 3 seconds - to find out more click here

I believe a newer 33MHz version is on its way (or already here) and this obviously is a faster accelerator - you should be able to find more on this site
A question about this Furia.. how does it compare stability wise to aca020? Is it as picky as aca? After all tweaks, recaps, grounding etc my a600 still freezes after some time when aca020 is in use..
Old 19 August 2016, 22:08   #37
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TroyWilkins

Please to be reading about some hardware pr0n soon I will knock up a little guide this weekend if you feel brave on making a kick-start modification to your system.

The SSD solution was exciting to try out simply because of its (at the time) under 10 for 16GB SSD to Native Amiga IDE - well worth a risk - now I can see how far that goes - I have a 32GB and a 64GB comming next month (only 35 for the pair)- so that should be fun to play with as well =)

I will say that without any acceleration of the processor you will only get about 700Kbytes from the native IDE - an ACA620 @ 16.7Mhz provides about 2MB per second - the VampireV2 provides 2.8MB per second - in comparison the maximum transfer from floppy is about 72KBytes per second (just a smidgen faster than parallel) - this is only half the story though, because it takes CPU cycles to fetch-store-process - the responsiveness of the system slows down.

In the case of native IDE the CPU is using 100% on fetching data - leads to sluggishness in both screen updating and processing interrupts like mouse clicks.

The ACA620 fairs well to be honest, but opening windows is a tag sluggish on the update - obviously the Vampire2 is near instant response since it has so many more CPU cycles in the same instance.

@mr.spiv
Fortunately I have not experienced that issue with my ACA620, but then the motherboard CPU was also solder re-flowed - the ACA620 has been known to pop off though, but only during extended play time (5-6 hours). (happens on both the 1.3 and the 1.5 motherboards.)

In regards to the latest Furia, I have not owned one - my plan is to get one in next month or so for fun fits and giggles. I remember when Boris Krizma first started the project - sadly I missed the group buys at the time.
Old 20 August 2016, 11:14   #38
TroyWilkins

Quote:
@TroyWilkins

Please to be reading about some hardware pr0n soon I will knock up a little guide this weekend if you feel brave on making a kick-start modification to your system.
To paraphrase Dave Haynie, if you're doing something that doesn't scare you, you're going to get bored, and there was no getting bored at Commodore!

Sounds like a good, fun challenge, and it certainly wouldn't hurt me to learn some new skills.

My apologies for the low quality photos.

Name:	2016-08-19 15.16.31.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	49484
My A600.

Name:	2016-08-19 13.18.42-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	49485
Connected to the TV via composite - which is the best option I have available to me at this point. No scart here, and I know how pointless it would be to connect to the VGA input without it outputting higher than 15kHz. This is one os the reasons I'm interested in the Vampire 2 - HDMI, although I'm well aware I'd still have to use composite or some other native 15kHz video output for anything that uses the Amiga video and can't be mode promoted.

Name:	2016-08-19 13.36.15.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	49486
I only got a random assortment of disks with the A600 - only one of which has Workbench, which is a cut down 2.1 with a virus checker on it.

Quote:
The SSD solution was exciting to try out simply because of its (at the time) under 10 for 16GB SSD to Native Amiga IDE - well worth a risk - now I can see how far that goes - I have a 32GB and a 64GB comming next month (only 35 for the pair)- so that should be fun to play with as well =)

I will say that without any acceleration of the processor you will only get about 700Kbytes from the native IDE - an ACA620 @ 16.7Mhz provides about 2MB per second - the VampireV2 provides 2.8MB per second - in comparison the maximum transfer from floppy is about 72KBytes per second (just a smidgen faster than parallel) - this is only half the story though, because it takes CPU cycles to fetch-store-process - the responsiveness of the system slows down.

In the case of native IDE the CPU is using 100% on fetching data - leads to sluggishness in both screen updating and processing interrupts like mouse clicks.

The ACA620 fairs well to be honest, but opening windows is a tag sluggish on the update - obviously the Vampire2 is near instant response since it has so many more CPU cycles in the same instance.
I have ordered the parts needed - the 16Gb SSD, the mSSD to 2.5" IDE Converter, the 2.5" IDE to USB and a 2.5" IDE cable, and am just waiting for delivery now

Thank you for the input regarding the native IDE on the A600. This will be the slowest Amiga I've ever owned with an IDE storage, I remember the A1200 with it's 40Mb was bearable, not too slow, and actually quicker than my brothers 286 @ 12Mhz, although direct comparisons of speed were problematic - I didn't upgrade the RAM until I was no longer living at home, and as we all know, adding fast ram helps. Also finding the same game or program to run on both was a problem - We both had civilisation, but that ran much slower on my A1200 than on his 286, while it was the reverse with syndicate. And I'm well aware my stock (for now) A600 will be much slower than my stock A1200 was.

At least with WinUAE I can try things out to get an idea before putting them on the SSD and putting it back in the A600.

Oh, does anyone here have any experience with the Gotek or something along the same lines? I don't really want to use floppy disks, but would like to keep the A600s internal drive if at all possible and add an external floppy emulator that I can use with some sort of USB or SD card with ADFs on it. If that's not possible, I would certainly consider replacing the A600s internal floppy with something, as long as I could easily restore it back to factory to use with the few disks I do have... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TroyWilkins; 20 August 2016 at 12:28.
Old 08 September 2016, 09:03   #39
TroyWilkins

Ok, time for an update I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmb08skx00...36.14.mp4?dl=0
We've all seen this before, I'm sure...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n17faiywjs...48.41.jpg?dl=0

I got 2 joysticks, and the kids have been entertained with "The Great Giana Sisters", although as I noted in another thread, they found the up to jump mechanic difficult to get used to, and I admit I never got used to it myself...

I've made a few purchases, and I'm just waiting for them to be delivered. A A604n Memory Expansion. A 16GB mSATA SSD, mSATA SSD to 44 pin IDE (5 volt version!), a 44 pin IDE cable, a USB to 44 pin IDE adaptor. I'm also probably purchasing a mouse/joystick autoswitcher, to prevent wear and tear on the mouse port.

The SSD to IDE adapter has arrived, as has the 44 pin IDE cable, but knowing my luck I'll have to wait until next week for the rest to arrive (It's Thursday afternoon here now) so I can get anything done.

And because we all like hardware pr0n:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yewsryboo6...18.11.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wba2kf8sx3...19.07.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qerihr2axi...19.17.jpg?dl=0
Old 08 September 2016, 09:14   #40
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I have a bad experience with some joystick / mouse autoswitchers. They work perfectly with analogue ball mice, but the do not work with optical ones. So beware.
AdSense AdSense