English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 July 2016, 13:42   #81
Sir_Lucas

This is really awesome work!! Thank you very much, all of you guys
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 July 2016, 17:05   #82
daxb

After set executable bit on main files Center Court 2 started fine on my A1200 040 3.1 system. No problems noticed so far and exit to WB also works. Removing the background sound file as suggested from someone here doesn`t work because it results to an exception. Not tried but a replace should work.

Also with lowest cpu skill prefs the game is too hard for me. You don`t see where the service goes and you need some luck to return. The most time the next return is unreachable. I guess you need a nearly perfect return to stay in game. So how to hit the ball? Joystick direction an how long you hold it seems to affect where the ball flies. Unfortunately I mostly managed to play the ball outside playfield. So only use the button to hit the ball seems the saver way but that results in losing game. I guess some visual feedback woul help. However, a longer training session seems to be necessary.

Do exist an archive of Center Court 1? I would like to have a look to compare with version 2.
Old 22 July 2016, 17:29   #83
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Same like daxb said. Controls, difficulty, ball speed/player speed is way to unbalanced. The court is also too small. Nice preservation of a lost game, but i still prefer Great Courts 2 on the Amiga.
Old 22 July 2016, 17:57   #84
daxb

I played a double match and noticed that is much easier to play.

I also would have liked a larger playfield without side grahpics but after some time I acclimate to that.

It would be nice to know if you tried a larger screen solution or an A1200 is to slow for it. E.g. 640x256 or 640x512? Such games benifit from larger screen sizes.
Old 22 July 2016, 18:01   #85
Akira

Happy to see this preserved, the game is as said before pretty unplayable though, the speed of the ball is out of control because it feels like it's moving at "realistic" speeds but on a court that is really small.
It's even square-like, not in the right proportion. I am sure the coder wanted to not have to scroll, but then he should have made everything smaller, because this isn't just working well.

Thanks for releasing this to the public and keeping Amiga history alive!
Old 22 July 2016, 19:05   #86
Python1

@Predseda, DamienD
Thank you! And thanks to the HOL guys because the 1995 Center Court entries have already been corrected ("Center Court" is now the main name and "Center Court Tennis" the alias). Would be great if someone of the HOL team could also add the Center Court (German version of 1995) box scans I have uploaded in the post #70 above.

@Amigajay
Yes, there is the mention "Tennis !" on the original 1995 title screen. I guess the full name "Center Court Tennis" commonly used comes from this title screen. But if you make a screenshot earlier, you don't have the small "Center Court - Tennis !" text (see 1st pix below). After that there is a vertical scrolling with the credits that begin with "Center Court - Tennis !" (see 2nd pix). The updated AGA title screen of Center Court (1997 version) doesn't have any "Tennis" mention anymore (see the last 2 pix), even later when the animation and the credits pop up.

@Joeled
Center Court (1 and 2) online would be awesome (I would love to beat SecondService in his own CC games :-). Maybe one day Toni Wilen will add a WinUAE NetPlay function and this dream will come true (yes, I know there is already FS-UAE and the recent amigalive.com project).
Old 22 July 2016, 19:47   #87
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

Where can I get the 1997 version of Center Court? I can only find the 1995 original version... Thanks in advance.
Old 22 July 2016, 20:19   #88
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Where can I get the 1997 version of Center Court? I can only find the 1995 original version... Thanks in advance.
In TOSEC the 1997 version is named "Blitz Tennis". Have a look in The Zone! my friend
Old 22 July 2016, 20:24   #89
polaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python1 View Post
After a 19 years deep sleep, game was rescued on the 9th of July, 2016 AD, from a defective (head stuck on platter) Conner 64 MB hard drive from 1992. Big thanks to the author of the game who sent me his HDD and to the very nice local guy who helped me save this game with his A1200.
Quote:

The HDD refused to boot but was attempting to as it was spinning-shutting off-spinning-shutting off-spinning-etc. After some research, I have learned one of the common failures for such an old drive could be a stuck head on the platter. The only way to be sure was to open the HDD to check. And indeed, the head was stuck in the parking zone and the solution was to carefully and gently release it with one finger immediately after you have powered on the hard drive. At this stage you should have seen the face of eggman when I told him "ok, let open this HDD and try to manually help its head while you power on the Amiga".
If only Keithbugeja 60mb conner hard disk (with the World Warrior's source code) could prove to be a similar case ..............
Old 22 July 2016, 20:27   #90
DamienD
Global Moderator

SecondService & Python1,

You've probably seen my related thread already, but just in case you haven't...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83542

I created a set of .ADFs from the hard drive files. This is really for people that:

... Don't have a hard drive.
... Don't know how to extract / install etc. to a hard drive in order to play.
... Use GameBase Amiga.
... Have HxC Gotek hardware.

I hope this is ok with you guys?
Old 22 July 2016, 20:41   #91
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
If only Keithbugeja 60mb conner hard disk (with the World Warrior's source code) could prove to be a similar case ..............
That looks quality!
Old 22 July 2016, 20:45   #92
SecondService

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
SecondService & Python1,

I hope this is ok with you guys?
sure

Old 22 July 2016, 21:34   #93
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Do exist an archive of Center Court 1? I would like to have a look to compare with version 2.
DamienD uploaded it to the zone, it's called "blitz Tennis", and it's even more terrible to play than this one. Basically impossible to return a ball or do a service.
Old 22 July 2016, 22:18   #94
DamienD
Global Moderator

While I agree that the game difficulty is too high and as others have said the player moves a bit too slow making some shots from the computer component impossible to return (even if you have the reflexes of a jaguar)

...but I've been playing a bit now and can have some good rallies; heck I've even managed to win one a game

The game is definitely growing on me the more I play. I love the little touches like:

... Getting angry, throwing your racket on the ground.
... The voice recordings.
... The crowd getting excited.
... The winning player celebrating.
... etc.

Thanks again SecondService
Old 23 July 2016, 00:29   #95
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
And thanks to the HOL guys because the 1995 Center Court entries have already been corrected ("Center Court" is now the main name and "Center Court Tennis" the alias).
You're welcome! Many thanks to Gernot, you and Eggman for your "never say die" attitude to salvage the game and release it to the Amiga masses

Quote:
Would be great if someone of the HOL team could also add the Center Court (German version of 1995) box scans I have uploaded in the post #70 above.
It's already sitting on my HD in readiness for a major update to the HOL entry. I'll try to get to it on the weekend (provided work doesn't rear its ugly head!). I may need to ask Gernot some questions, though, for the update (e.g. Was he behind the publisher Blitz Ware, or was it run by somebody else?).

Anyway, in the meantime I have made a quick HOL entry for Center Court 2. It has the "correct" titlescreen and includes all the download links at the bottom (including the HD version available here and on Aminet + the ADF / CD32 versions by DamienD and Cobe). Will add more screenshots and info. later on when I have more time to devote.

http://hol.abime.net/6139

Last edited by DrBong; 23 July 2016 at 00:35.
Old 23 July 2016, 01:15   #96
Cobe

Here's a disc scan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	49200  
Old 23 July 2016, 01:26   #97
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
In TOSEC the 1997 version is named "Blitz Tennis". Have a look in The Zone! my friend
Thanks, DamienD!
Old 23 July 2016, 19:01   #98
daxb

@DamienD:
Thanks for the download archive of CC part 1!

@Akira:
Yes, it is more difficult but you should really try to play a Center Court 2 double match. Reduce the opponent CPU`s to around halv and you should be able to win. By the way, double is more dynamic/action and makes more fun to play. I already managed to do some aces in a row. Its just a timing thing how long you hold the joystick in the right direction.

Background sound ("S_background" 8svx file):
Because it nerves a bit after some time like someone already mentioned I changed it. There seems to be a size limit (a >200kb file didn`t worked) but otherwise each 8svx sample should go. Without size limit you could use your favorite music and play party tennis. I like the original sample with halve volume and lowpass filter.
Old 23 July 2016, 19:20   #99
Cpt. Hindsight

I managed to win the first game without any practice in career mode, so it can't be that hard.

Tbh, I lost the set by 1-6, but imho it's still a lot easier to get into this one than into Center Court Tennis 1.

Thanks to everyone involved to the release of this little gem.
Old 23 July 2016, 20:40   #100
edd_jedi

Just wanted to say thanks, gave this a bash on my A4000 and it plays great. Agree that it's very difficult but like most games I'm sure there's a knack to it, and in doubles it's much less one sided (although still very hard!)

Grateful to have a new commercial-quality Amiga game to play in 2016
AdSense AdSense