English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2016, 16:15   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Nintendo NES Classic Edition

Seems that after countless Atari and many unofficial (S)NES/SMS/Gensis releases, Nintendo itself finally made updated classic NES console. Controller should work with Wii U, and console at 60 bucks will target Nintendo-collect-it-all-retro folks.

HDMI connector and Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda... i might get one...

http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/14/ni...ition-console/

AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2016, 21:33   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Many of the games are ones I wanted to buy but cost way too much on eBay so I am definitely going to buy one. I just hope the ROM is easily accessible.

Now, why on earth doesn't it also accept original cartridges? Why Nintendo, why?
Old 14 July 2016, 22:22   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I agree.

Sega's Megadrive 4 is pre-loaded with games just like this, but also has a cartridge slot so I can use the games I already own too
Old 14 July 2016, 22:57   #4
amiman99

I will get one for sure! Very good choice of games, so it's definitely worth it.
Old 15 July 2016, 01:54   #5
-Acid-

Zero interest in this, you can do it all for free with emulators already. Why pay them to use their emulator? If it could play original carts and use original controllers etc then it might be worth it but as it is it's basically going to be something like a Raspberry Pi (but cost them way way less to make and be less powerful). They are basically selling a cheap emu box.. you do it yourself for less and it would be much better.
Old 15 July 2016, 02:05   #6
amiman99

I hope it's NES on the chip then emulator.
Old 15 July 2016, 13:33   #7
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Here are some games that will be on system: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 July 2016, 14:19   #8
clebin

There's no-one better than Nintendo at squeezing money out of the same games again and again.

Take the Virtual Console - it's a nice feature but you pay something like £4.49 for Pokemon Red/Blue, a black & white Gameboy game from the 90s! Not to mention that VC games are more expensive on 3DS than Wii/WiiU despite being the exact same game running in an emulator, which seems a bit of a racket.

Then there's the remasters of sometimes relatively recent games on each new generation of hardware, etc etc.

Despite all that, the price of this is surprisingly reasonable and I have to admit, it's pretty natty looking!
Old 15 July 2016, 14:26   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Nintendo is just starting what Sega was doing all along... I remember Sonic for PC CD-Rom that was essentially emulator running genesis version of sonic. (I might have CD still somewhere)

I just recently got rest of Sega Genesis/Megadrive packs for Steam - and yes - I could play them all in emulators free, but being able to play them legally somehow feels satisfying.

I returned Sega Genesis my wife got last year because it was cheaply made, MONO sound and only AV connector (to single speaker?!) It was one of those WTF moments, even with 30 some games and cart that worked fine (tested it with couple of games)
Old 15 July 2016, 16:43   #10
ptyerman

Although I have zero interest in consoles and never have, this could have been a lot more with very little added cost to them. That replica flap should have been functional with either a cartridge slot under it, so folk could plug in their original cartridges, or it could have had a SD card slot under there.
Too much to ask I guess.
Old 15 July 2016, 16:54   #11
DamienD
Global Moderator

Information taken from another website:

Quote:
As many suspected, the NES Classic Edition doesn't connect to the internet or use external storage devices, so the games it comes with are all you'll be able to play on it, Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-...net-1783693116
Old 15 July 2016, 17:01   #12
ptyerman

Better off just getting a Raspberry PI, at least you will be able to run more games, and it's cheaper.
As it is your just paying for a miniature replica case. If it was cheaper it could be worth modding it and ripping out the innards to replace with a PI or similar.
Old 15 July 2016, 17:24   #13
Akira

Well this is cheap enough that I wouldn't mind buying it to support Nintendo making this kinda product, then remove the guts and put a raspberry pi inside!
The other cool thing is the controller, that you can actually also use on a Wii. This alone is worth a few bucks on my book.

So yeah I'll buy this one
Old 15 July 2016, 17:34   #14
ptyerman

You can buy the controller separately too apparently, I think a few more of these will sell than the console itself.
Old 15 July 2016, 18:15   #15
Pyromania

I never had an original NES but I might get this. Anyone own a Wii U? If so how is it?
Old 15 July 2016, 18:21   #16
Pyromania

Why isn't there an Amiga like this available?
Old 15 July 2016, 18:30   #17
ptyerman

A computer is a lot harder to make than a console, and a lot more expensive.
Plus the Amiga licensing is a legal nightmare, nobody even knows who owns what!
Old 15 July 2016, 19:15   #18
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I never had an original NES but I might get this. Anyone own a Wii U? If so how is it?

My kid has Wii U - it's nice little console, with controller with a screen that is used in some games. Current game he is playing are Star Fox Zero - lots of fun and nice presentation. He also played bit new Kung Fu Panda.

We have few Wii U VC games, including StarFox 64, but we lack retro controller, so this might be cheap way to get one.
Old 15 July 2016, 20:33   #19
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I love the people saying "hey who cares when I can just pirate stuff?".

Well, that is the point, many of us do care about buying what we use.
If you want to pirate, then by all means do it but do not assume that is the only sane way to go. It is not.
Old 15 July 2016, 20:37   #20
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well this is cheap enough that I wouldn't mind buying it to support Nintendo making this kinda product, then remove the guts and put a raspberry pi inside!
The other cool thing is the controller, that you can actually also use on a Wii. This alone is worth a few bucks on my book.

So yeah I'll buy this one
True. Even the individual elements are valuable enough on their own that it is a worthy purchase.

Even just the games are worth it. Go and try getting the originals on eBay for these 30 games and if you manage to get them under 300$ I will eat my boxers.

As a kitten who only plays what he buys I'm glad to have such a cheap access to these nice games.
AdSense AdSense