English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2016, 18:16   #1
Soopytwist

Copyright free Amiga sound effects?

I'm making a puzzle platform game in Multimedia Fusion 2 based on a game I half made in Reality: The Ultimate Construction Kit on my Amiga, approx 22 years ago. I still had all the art, sprites etc so I transferred all that to my PC and converted all the .iff's to .png.

I have a working "Dizzy" style game, albeit unfinished and quite a lot of bugs, but the most pressing issue right now is the lack of sound and music.

I managed to find Matt McFarland who made some copyright free 16-bit music so I've used a track from there for the intro but I need both in-game music and sound effects.

Now I could just do what I did for my last game, based on ZX Spectrum games like Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, and just "borrow" sounds from other games. I fear I may have to do that again because I can't find any free ones online - just ones that say they're free in the Google results but then ask for an insane amount for them.

Alternatively is there any software on the Amiga that can generate sound effects? I know there's music software such as Octamed but were there any programs for creating sound effects? I could either get hold of the original software to run on my Amiga or an .adf to run in WinUAE.

On a similar issue I'd like to create a fake "crack" intro for my game (complete with a trainer). Were there any demo makers for the Amiga? And are there any .adf's of the programs knocking around? It would help me replicate the demo in MMF2 using actives and text blitters.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 June 2016, 18:33   #2
Daedalus

There are lots of sites that offer royalty-free sound effects and other assets. They're generally 16-bit WAVs or similar, but it's simple to convert them to 8SVX for Amiga use, resampling them to lower bitrates too if required. OpenGameArt.org is one I've used before, and there are others.
Old 22 June 2016, 20:49   #3
saimon69
Bedroom musician

I resort on freesound.org for samples (gotta check license though) or use milky to generate and "rasterise" sound effects in .wav later converted to iff; last resort is my microphone...
Old 23 June 2016, 16:40   #4
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are lots of sites that offer royalty-free sound effects and other assets. They're generally 16-bit WAVs or similar, but it's simple to convert them to 8SVX for Amiga use, resampling them to lower bitrates too if required. OpenGameArt.org is one I've used before, and there are others.
Okay, OpenGameArt looks awesome. Should be able to find what I'm looking for. I'm making the game in MMF2 on Windows so I only need to down sample them to sound a bit scratchy. Hopefully they'll convince as sounds from an Amiga!
Old 23 June 2016, 17:54   #5
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
Alternatively is there any software on the Amiga that can generate sound effects? I know there's music software such as Octamed but were there any programs for creating sound effects? I could either get hold of the original software to run on my Amiga or an .adf to run in WinUAE.
Octamed's synth sound editor/scripter should be a good way to generate some Amiga sounding effects, not the most intuitive thing to use though... best thing to do is to start experimenting.
Old 23 June 2016, 20:07   #6
saimon69
Bedroom musician

Even protracker and mod2wav can help generate special sounds in the same way i do with milky, though
AdSense AdSense