English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2016, 14:25   #1
Steve T

Fighting Putt - Sega pad review.

I know some of you are interested in these, so here's another edition of the Tech Zone! Includes teardown and a pic of the PCB if you like that kind of thing...

http://coolhandtech.blogspot.co.uk/2...utton-pad.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fighting Putt! copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	48932  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 June 2016, 14:40   #2
idrougge

I use those as a source for replacement cables for better controllers. The parts are piling up in my parts bin.

And actually, I think the PCB material is nothing else than compressed cardboard.
Old 22 June 2016, 14:44   #3
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I use those as a source for replacement cables for better controllers. The parts are piling up in my parts bin.

And actually, I think the PCB material is nothing else than compressed cardboard.
How long are the cables for you on average? this one isn't perhaps much use due to the short length but i guess it could be handy (the most disappointing thing for me as i really just wanted the board and the cable to put in an arcade stick), yeah the PCB is cheap as can be i think, not fit for lasting use at all.
Old 22 June 2016, 15:04   #4
Akira

These are terrible and now that you showed me one opened up, it just makes it worse
They don't even feel right, there's better uses of 1.50, like, half of a Tesco Meal Deal, haha.
Old 22 June 2016, 15:35   #5
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

1.5 is cheap. I have few around, but I can't remember last time I used one on either Megadrive or Amiga.
Old 22 June 2016, 16:46   #6
Steve T

I'd recommend them for drunken house guests, parties, small children, because who cares if it gets wrecked, stolen or puked on... I might get a couple more for that reason, or for hacking... otherwise if you're halfway serious about gaming look elsewhere!

(mind you, having said that, for gaming party use, a short cord is just going to lead to the machine its attached to being dragged onto the floor by not a big deal for a megadrive but Amigas, ouch!)

Last edited by Steve T; 22 June 2016 at 17:12.
Old 22 June 2016, 17:51   #7
Akira

That is why, for this or really any other controller, one should have a pair of these:

Old 22 June 2016, 20:51   #8
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That is why, for this or really any other controller, one should have a pair of these:

absolutely, is anyone making these today? I bet those official* ones are fairly expensive now!

*Andy Crane would like to inform you that using unofficial products may blow up your console.
Old 22 June 2016, 21:39   #9
Akira

You can find them for a decent price if you look long enough. I didn't pay much for mine.
Old 22 June 2016, 21:44   #10
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
How long are the cables for you on average? this one isn't perhaps much use due to the short length but i guess it could be handy (the most disappointing thing for me as i really just wanted the board and the cable to put in an arcade stick), yeah the PCB is cheap as can be i think, not fit for lasting use at all.
For a mouse, 85 cm is enough. For joysticks, you can buy these joypads with longer cables.

If you want a better quality cable, buy an extension cord and cut it up. They're a bit more expensive than an entire joypad, though.
Old 22 June 2016, 21:46   #11
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
You can find them for a decent price if you look long enough. I didn't pay much for mine.
I got mine cheap @ local Game'n'Trade store. That is where I got few Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Sega DC, Sega Saturn and N64 controllers.
Old 22 June 2016, 23:04   #12
Steve T

Also, if a drunken relative clumsily trips over the cable, the extension might detach instead of taking the machine with it.
Old 22 June 2016, 23:06   #13
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
Also, if a drunken relative clumsily trips over the cable, the extension might detach instead of taking the machine with it.
HMMM not sure about that, at least in the Sega ones I have, the connection is very sturdy. I don't think it will detach.

Best ban the drunk relative from the gaming area
Old 22 June 2016, 23:26   #14
Steve T

Problem is i'm clumsy even without booze, i could ban myself too i guess. The joystick I built, weighs more and is larger than the Amiga (or anything) it's attached to, it only needs to fall off the table its on and everything will go! I think I will support my favourite faraway sweatshop further and get a couple of the extensions, they might cost more than the pad but so does a couple of mars bars...

Quote:
I don't think it will detach.
maybe these would be looser or another connector could substitute, maybe a DIN? the wired 360 pad has an inline breakaway point that works well, just as an example.

Last edited by Steve T; 22 June 2016 at 23:51.
AdSense AdSense