English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 June 2016, 14:30   #21
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
Commodore should have abandoned whatever custom file system format nonsense they were doing and moved to FAT12 support at some point. 8 bits, Amiga, and of course the Commodore PC's.
Why not add CGA graphics and MS-DOS while you're at it?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 June 2016, 14:30   #22
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Cool that they listened to feedback.. As you know, GEOS sort of never really happened here in Euroland even though it was bundled with the later E motherboard C-64Cs. Judging by comp.sys.cbm discussions back then, it was always used much more on that side of the atlantic.
comp.sys.cbm was used much more on that side of the Atlantic.
Old 18 June 2016, 01:22   #23
Lucidphreak

excellent conversations... never expected this thread to have such intelligence.. As a matter of fact - I was mainly referring to the pirate scene when I posted - but this is so much better..

Thank you!
Old 18 June 2016, 05:07   #24
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
comp.sys.cbm was used much more on that side of the Atlantic.
It certainly helped that the Internet was mostly a US only thing at that time.
Old 18 June 2016, 17:12   #25
idrougge

Exactly. Add to that the fact that the proportions of C64 gamers vs "serious" users was different in Europe and America. Doesn't mean that the absolute number of GEOS users was smaller, only that they were outnumbered by gamers, swappers, crackers and demo coders.
Old 18 June 2016, 17:49   #26
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Exactly. Add to that the fact that the proportions of C64 gamers vs "serious" users was different in Europe and America. Doesn't mean that the absolute number of GEOS users was smaller, only that they were outnumbered by gamers, swappers, crackers and demo coders.
Indeed. That is an acute observation.
The home computer markets was probably not uniform, with adults getting the machine for serious applications and looking into educating themselves to the medium while kids woul see it mostly as a game machine with the exception of a few who would go for the creative aspect (code, graphics, audio).

I would love to know the proportions of these users in the total.
Old 18 June 2016, 18:42   #27
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
On the commodore 8 bit side, nothing has held the machine back worse than it's entanglement with the 1541! That damn floppy drive is road block to most software improvements on the platform.
Quote:
What would you like to do on the C64 that is limited by the 1541?
Quote:
However I will never understand why you would want to take the C-64 very far from its comfort zone for any productivity software. No matter what kind of mass storage you plug into it, the CPU and RAM will either limit what you can do, or make the "impossible" just very cumbersome.
Quote:
You're right. I was a weird guy who lived in GEOS.
A lot of what became GEOS 2.0 was actally from my feedback.
That was my immediate thought when I originally read Jope's question - GEOS is the single best thing on the C64 that is limited by the 1541.

GEOS 1.x wasn't much chop, so it didn't matter much at the time that the 1541 made it cumbersome to use. However, GEOS 2.0 was a massive improvement and the 1541 really sucked away a lot of the pleasure that could have been had with it by C= owners toward the end of the C64's commercial life. If CMD had come to market earlier with HDs etc. and had tried to be more of a global entity (i.e. set up distribution outside North America at the start), then perhaps GEOS wouldn't have been such an underrated curiosity (both then and now). Oh well......

Last edited by DrBong; 18 June 2016 at 18:48.
Old 18 June 2016, 18:45   #28
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Well, didn't geos guys buy 1581s and so on? Combined with the burst capable C128 it was probably quite nice.
Old 18 June 2016, 18:59   #29
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Jope
Yep I bought a 1581, but only much later on (late 90s??) after the C= 8-bit series (and Amiga, for that matter) had well and truly died commercially. GEOS was/is perhaps one of the few reasons to own a C128 at all TBH. Glad I bought all the great C= 8-bit extras before Ebay really took off
Old 18 June 2016, 19:06   #30
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@Jope
Yep I bought a 1581, but only much later on (late 90s??) after the C= 8-bit series (and Amiga, for that matter) had well and truly died commercially. GEOS was/is perhaps one of the few reasons to own a C128 at all TBH. Glad I bought all the great C= 8-bit extras before Ebay really took off
You were still using your C128 in the late 90s? Wow, that is some serious dedication!

I remember being flabbergasted when reading in early mid 90s that C= was still selling tons of C64 related pieces but I guess you are the proof that this was real.
Old 18 June 2016, 19:11   #31
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
You were still using your C128 in the late 90s? Wow, that is some serious dedication!

I remember being flabbergasted when reading in early mid 90s that C= was still selling tons of C64 related pieces but I guess you are the proof that this was real.
LOL!!!! I did my first 2 terms of college on my C=128 setup. I started college in 1990.
AdSense AdSense