English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 June 2016, 23:33   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
I think you are right that it could be squeezed into 512kb, if someone experienced was putting it together

The main purpose of this game for me was to learn Amiga programming, so I wanted to get my head around any issues that trackloading caused.

At the moment the full version trackloads the music (when it switches songs), the levels (some levels can be configured to be resident), and the splash screen which I use as scratch ram to save things like backgrounds behind bobs when in play mode. I figured that doing it that way meant there would be basically no real limit to the amount of songs and levels I could squeeze into the final release.

I was a bit lazy early on when it came to ram, so there is definitely waste.
I take it the 'more info' in the credits is a placeholder?

If you need advice closer to release, to either bypass a trackloader or if you have enough data, i can show you how to utilise extra ram and stuff like that
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 June 2016, 23:42   #22
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I take it the 'more info' in the credits is a placeholder?

If you need advice closer to release, to either bypass a trackloader or if you have enough data, i can show you how to utilise extra ram and stuff like that
The "more info" was meant to just be the sub title for the last two lines in the credits.

All advice will be gratefully received Especially for up coming games as the next one will be a bit more ambitious.

I wasn't too worried about the track loaded version as I figured most people that care about speed will use the workbench version.

I didn't want to release a workbench test version until I had some feedback that the game was stable on AGA hardware (don't want to corrupt people's hard drives!)

It's just a flag in my build and the trackloader is gone and it generates a normal hunk executable.
Old 05 June 2016, 00:00   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
The "more info" was meant to just be the sub title for the last two lines in the credits.

All advice will be gratefully received Especially for up coming games as the next one will be a bit more ambitious.

I wasn't too worried about the track loaded version as I figured most people that care about speed will use the workbench version.

I didn't want to release a workbench test version until I had some feedback that the game was stable on AGA hardware (don't want to corrupt people's hard drives!)

It's just a flag in my build and the trackloader is gone and it generates a normal hunk executable.
No worries, just see how you get on if its too big for fitting in 512k, lots of things we can do
Old 05 June 2016, 03:48   #24
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
OK, thanks for letting me know.

BTW: I like the music, fits the game well.
I was able to reproduce the bug you found in an emulator. I just ran a demo first that would use all the chip ram, then ran the game from a soft reset:

Was actually nothing to do with AGA or A1200, just the way you ran it. The above screen shot is from an emulated A500.

Verified that it is fixed in test version 3.
Old 05 June 2016, 06:51   #25
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
I was able to reproduce the bug you found in an emulator. I just ran a demo first that would use all the chip ram, then ran the game from a soft reset:

Was actually nothing to do with AGA or A1200, just the way you ran it. The above screen shot is from an emulated A500.

Verified that it is fixed in test version 3.
Interesting, I did try the test1 release with same bug results using the power supply switch (cold boot) on the A1200, but that could be due to the type of memory circuit and FPGA/CPLD interface used in ACA-1232 for RAM handling, giving random garbage in uninitialized memory differently compared to other expansion hardware.

Perhaps the emulator you tried zero fills RAM buffer during initial allocation.

EDIT:

Just checked the source code of the emulator I assume you used, and yes, it zero fills on launch (hardreset).

Code:
void memory_clear (void)
{
	mem_hardreset = 0;
	if (savestate_state == STATE_RESTORE)
		return;
	if (chipmem_bank.baseaddr)
		memset(chipmem_bank.baseaddr, 0, chipmem_bank.allocated);
	if (bogomem_bank.baseaddr)
		memset(bogomem_bank.baseaddr, 0, bogomem_bank.allocated);
	if (mem25bit_bank.baseaddr)
		memset(mem25bit_bank.baseaddr, 0, mem25bit_bank.allocated);
	if (a3000lmem_bank.baseaddr)
		memset(a3000lmem_bank.baseaddr, 0, a3000lmem_bank.allocated);
	if (a3000hmem_bank.baseaddr)
		memset(a3000hmem_bank.baseaddr, 0, a3000hmem_bank.allocated);
	expansion_clear ();
	cpuboard_clear();
}

// ... snip ...

if (mem_hardreset) {
		memory_clear ();
	}
Source: https://github.com/alpine9000/fs-uae...src/memory.cpp

Last edited by modrobert; 05 June 2016 at 08:07.
Old 05 June 2016, 10:13   #26
alpine9000

yep - was definitely a bug in the game, and was only by pure luck that it didn't show for everyone.

I might put in a memory_randomize() to make it easier to spot these issues in the future.
Old 08 June 2016, 09:21   #27
alpine9000

So I think I finally got all the issues out of my hard drive installable version. Seeing as I started another thread for the game here, I posted the details on that thread and I will just use that one going forward.
AdSense AdSense