English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2016, 15:11   #1
meynaf
68k wisdom

free cpu% without breaking sound ?

I have a rather silent i7 laptop so when the cpu is used too much it's immediately noticed.
So I prefer keeping the "cpu idle" setting very high (actually at maximum) to remain low enough even with a screen filter (around 25% ; it would be nice if no cpu was used if there is no actual screen update but that's another story).

However the sound really doesn't like that setting. It can go wildly both in positive (no big deal) and negative values ; and down to -30% it starts to miss buffers. This morning i played some aiff with play16 and it had dramatic effects.

I could simply change that idle setting of course, but having 75% cpu used permanently isn't exactly a nice thing for me...

So is there a way to play with settings so that it can still keep up with sound but doesn't needlessly use the cpu ?

Or perhaps a different idle setting depending on whether some sound is there or not ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 June 2016, 14:53   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It needs total redesign to work with variable CPU usage. Perhaps someday..
Old 01 June 2016, 15:42   #3
meynaf
68k wisdom

So what can I do right now about it ?
Old 01 June 2016, 18:51   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you need cpu idle changes only when you manually run something, you could use uae-configuration (or even use your own code to call the UAE interface) to modify cpu idle state or even toggle fastest possible on and off.
Old 01 June 2016, 19:08   #5
meynaf
68k wisdom

I don't need cpu idle changes. I just want to be able to use winuae as a normal Amiga, where you don't have to change anything whether you do some intensive cpu task or just play music. I simply noticed that the host cpu usage is too high if cpu idle is set low, and that i get sound errors when it's set high.

Cpu is set as fastest possible but i get sound buffer overruns even when the cpu isn't much used. Is it normal to have 25% cpu use but -30% sound buffer ?
Old 23 June 2016, 19:51   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have an idea for different way to do CPU Idle. Switch internally to "approximate speed" mode than CPU is "idle enough". This won't break timing and results in very small CPU usage, especially if mode is RTG.

I did quick tests and it seems to work but of course I can't test all possible cases.. Current method is very simple: count number of scanlines CPU is in stopped state (exec executes STOP when there is nothing to do) and if number of scanlines in stopped state is large enough during last 1 second, switch to approximate mode. Any time number of stop state scanlines goes down, immediately switch back to normal mode.

Test version coming soon...
Old 23 June 2016, 20:45   #7
Akira

There were some low latency drivers Toni put support in in the past, I remember asking for ASIO support but that wasn't possible because of proprietary shit so he inserted that feature. What were those Toni? Perhaps you can get such drivers for your audio card and reduce problems. With ASIO I'd tell you to use ASIO4ALL.
Old 23 June 2016, 21:20   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This has nothing to do with sound drivers or API but CPU Idle function that is not that good when sound is playing, it sleeps too much causing sound to break. (Making it same problem that happens when CPU is too slow to emulate all chipset functions quickly enough)
Old 24 June 2016, 22:07   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z has rewritten cpu idle mode. Very experimental.
AdSense AdSense