English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 May 2016, 13:10   #1
tin
eezeenow!

Want a clock, but want to set it manually

OK I am aware this is very niche, but I'm trying to emulate some software which only works (properly) when it's April 1st or December 13th.

So I've modified the startup-sequence so the time preferences pop first. I'm able to change - and save - the date as April 1st

However as soon as the software runs, it's back to the current time and date.

If I disable the RTC in winUAE prefs, it's January 1970 and the save button is greyed in the prefs.

Anyone know/hazard a guess if this is a WinUAE thing? I presume it must keep syncing the clock to the PC on a regular basis as no other combination of things happening in the background make sense.

Any way to disable the repeated sync yet keep a RTC in the emulated machine?

My Google skills are failing me on this one, keep getting told what time it is in Dubai..... I'll carry on and follow myself up if I get a result...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 May 2016, 13:29   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try using C:Date without RTC. Date DD-MM-YY HH:MM

Emulated RTC does not support setting date. It would get quite confusing when emulation is started next time. What should the date be?
Old 09 May 2016, 13:42   #3
tin
eezeenow!

April 1st of course

Makes sense. Will try this, thanks!!

<edit> hmmm looks like my software pulls the date/time direct from the hardware clock. Date DD-MM-YY HH:MM works, I run date again to show me the set time/date, then the software starts thinking it's 1970.

Last edited by tin; 09 May 2016 at 13:51.
Old 09 May 2016, 13:51   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just setup host to those dates.

Make sure you stop windows time service, before changing time, otherwise it will fix itself.
Old 09 May 2016, 13:56   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Just"? I wouldn't do that.
Old 09 May 2016, 14:16   #6
tin
eezeenow!

Me either, hence the question I might have to set up an entirely separate machine where I can do that without fear of cocking something else up.

Toni: to answer the question about what the RTC should be set to I *think* (obviously without massive amounts of thought on the issue) that if you press Save in the time prefs, then the RTC should set to what you saved. Then next emulation session it should pull the time from the host again.

The weakness there of course is in a real Amiga the time would save and stay in line with what you set it to across sessions, but I think that's less odd behaviour than the Save dialog apparently working yet not doing anything in the background.

All that said. Appreciate it's incredibly minor, a decision I presume you already made and I appreciate enormously everything you do, so this is not any kind of complaint on my part!!

<edit> in fact, it could maintain the offset from the host clock. Hmmm not perfect either. I dunno
Old 09 May 2016, 14:23   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Clock offset is already implemented, put some non-zero value in box next to clock chip selection (I think it is in seconds)

"Session" only RTC saving would make sense, maybe.
Old 09 May 2016, 15:50   #8
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Why would you not do that, if is just to run some odd software once in a while??

Once done, enable windows time back again.

Why simple, when you can do it complicated...
Old 09 May 2016, 20:30   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Solving local problem with global solution is always a (very) bad idea. You'll "pollute" random file modification dates, most likely without noticing it, possibly breaking some random software updaters, log file date stamps, trial software and so on. (=bad idea with any kind of "production system")

I also assume OP needs to do multiple tests and it is not simple "do it once" task.
Old 10 May 2016, 00:19   #10
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
OK I am aware this is very niche, but I'm trying to emulate some software which only works (properly) when it's April 1st or December 13th.
What IS this very curious software?
Old 16 May 2016, 20:57   #11
tin
eezeenow!

LOL!

It's (I think) the only known disk image of Prevue Guide.

It has a data file on disc from December 13th when the particular machine it came from was decommissioned. If the Amiga doesn't think it's the date matching the data, nothing happens.

So as this has come up again if anyone happens to have a disk from a Prevue Guide Amiga, I would love a copy if that were possible. I'm reasonably sure some of the collectors out there have them.
AdSense AdSense