English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 January 2003, 05:34   #21
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Unknown_K, if I can remember (and if I go to work tomorrow/Wednesday), I will PM you with a place you may wanna look at for picking up what you seek. If I forget, PM me. I would do so now, but the link I have is at work.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 January 2003, 05:40   #22
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Anything would be helpful. I am in the US just to remind you.
Old 29 January 2003, 05:44   #23
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Anything would be helpful. I am in the US just to remind you.
I know, me too. That's why I stepped up to the plate.
Old 29 January 2003, 05:47   #24
Unknown_K

Whats a good deal at this "site"
Old 29 January 2003, 06:11   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sigh...I tried to completely re-trace the links I went through to find the site earlier today and I just can't replicate it. I don't wanna say a price and be completely off the mark, but it was VERY reasonable and a far cry from the ransom being charged by ebay scalpers.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:13   #26
Tim Janssen

Arrow Bidding is on

Serious hardware collectors really know how high they can bid for a piece of Amiga hardware.

The prices people ask for a bog-standard Amiga on EBay are ridiculous. Commodore machines are not really rare (well, except for the C65 prototypes and the C64GS console).
The February edition of magazine Games TM advises you should pay no more than 35 Pounds for a CD32, no more than 40 pounds for an Amiga, and no more than 35 pounds for a C64. These prices are more down to earth.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:55   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Crackhead fever is spilling from ebay online accounts to their sellers' commercial sites:

www.centsible.com

These guys are hallucinating hardcore! Was just browsing their Amiga games on their site...a used copy of Sideshow and they are asking $50US for it. Have they lost their minds? Or how about a copy of Darkseed with no box for $23! Centsible have gone nonsensical. They have Super Explode 4.1 for the C-64, used cartridge only for $30! Or check this one out:

http://www.centsible.com/snapshot.shtml

I found one in a thrift store for a dollar (a few years ago, mind you). And those buffoons have even watermarked all of their tiny little boxscans (as if someone has any use for them). A year ago, they were almost fair with their prices, but now they seem to be reaming Amiga and C-64 users with a glowing hot poker. $22 for Fun School CDTV? They can kiss my grits!

I guess it's open season on retrogamers. Time to boycott these greedy bastards...
Old 29 January 2003, 14:04   #28
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

As soon as something starts becoming more popular, the money men move in.
Old 29 January 2003, 16:11   #29
Unknown_K

The only thing I ever ordered from Centsible was a cable to connect my C128 to my 1084 monitor so I can do 80 column mode and that didnt cost too much.

Anything amiga except a stock A500 costs quite a bit on ebay. You can buy any of the new consoles cheaper then a A1200 system (no monitor) goes for in the us.
Old 29 January 2003, 17:14   #30
jmmijo

Man I know how rediculous some of these so-called vendors can get with their prices, especially here in the states

I was doing some more cleaning and came across an A500 in a box. This came with a software starter pack, but I'm not sure what as I have to re-read the box. Of course this is just a standard A500 but I suppose since it's in really good condition I could hawk it big time on ebay for a mint or two
Old 29 January 2003, 18:15   #31
Unknown_K

I can see the RARE MINT IN THE BOX ONE OF A KIND ebay add now jmmijo
Old 29 January 2003, 20:31   #32
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
LOL!

i got myself an absolute minter of a cd32 off some guy on amibench for 20! i will never sell it... i have tons of amiga goodies here that i could hawk on eaby but whats the point... i would have the money but no amiga stuff
Old 01 February 2003, 13:47   #33
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Eek Holy Crap!!

I really wanted this and so put a bid on it a few days ago. When I came back to it the price had sky-rocketed. I'm gob-smacked. I've not seen an Amiga game go this high priced for a long time. I'm sure the game isn't even that rare. Most of the bidders are new eBayer's. Maybe they just got carried away with the bidding. I'll just wait till I see it in a car-boot sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...003397567&rd=1

The auction has just closed for a whopping 44.20. That is just a crazy price!

Last edited by Steve; 01 February 2003 at 16:49.
Old 01 February 2003, 14:04   #34
NytroX86

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3003397567&rd=1
Well thats beat the worst I've seen where some fool paid 30 for Chaos Engine 2(The lowest OCS/ECS version too)! The difference is SWOS 96/97 is a great game and not around on eBay much. Another one that always seems to go for loads is Magic Pockets. Last time it was 15. I've seen a couple of gimps on eBay claiming CD32's are 'RARE!', when a new one appears on eBay every few days. The one I'm thinking of is damaged as well .

Old 01 February 2003, 16:31   #35
Unknown_K

What sucks is that you KNOW there are warehouses with tons of mint never opened amiga games somewhere by you with all the goodies collecting dust because the original owner forgot about them or they passed through a few auctions and are forgotten.

Ever time a computer maker goes under the inventory gets sold for next to nothing. That and the retail stores that used to sell those games dump them in a warehouse and forget about them (well whatever was left after major discounts).

You cant blaim the EBAY sellers trying to inflate the prices for those games when places like centsible software do the exact same thing.

Once a console/computer goes under game prices drop for a few years.. then its RARE and the same games get sold for crazy money to "collectors". I bet alot of the amiga/commodore hardware gets resold over and over again on ebay, anything I buy stays with me.
Old 01 February 2003, 16:36   #36
Peanutuk

centsible

The retailer Centsible is the worst seller I have ever experienced on ebay. They actually hold buyers to ransom by refusing to give you postage costs. I once bought a bundle of c64 disks from them, I sent several emails asking for the total cost and receieved emails saying "I don't know...shall I tell you , or not?"

This is frankly incredible. They eventually told me that as I had low feedback [as a new user] they didnt give a monkeys whether I paid or not as they would leave neg feedback and get me kicked off.

INcredible.........
Old 01 February 2003, 16:44   #37
Akira

Centsible is utter shite. Not only they are extremely rude, their prices are a complete rip-off.

I once paid 30 dollars for a disk-only Giana Sisters original on ebay... This really is a rare game... when I got the disk it turned out to be a pirate version! The seller, however, was a good person who didn't know this (disks were untested) and refunded my money.

A real shame, I wanted a Giana original! But if I bought it from someone like Centsible I would have been ripped off.
Old 02 February 2003, 02:39   #38
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I bought a few of centsible's old ebay bundles before they started their major scalp attacks. They included tons of printed out flyers and a great deal of the boxes for the games were crushed due to their shoddy packing and ultra flimsy main box the bundles were shipped in.

But I could live with all of that. Their current practices are beneath contempt and I shall never do business with them again.
Old 05 February 2003, 19:50   #39
DPainter

Here's another gem from an ad paper in my area:
Quote:

"Antique computers. apple lisa computers $800, jordan computers $400, commodore $400, antique mechanical and nixie tube calculators $100-$600."
Old 06 February 2003, 02:38   #40
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Or check this one out:

http://www.centsible.com/snapshot.shtml

I found one in a thrift store for a dollar (a few years ago, mind you).
That's not too silly a price given that older versions of Super Snapshot sometimes attract $50+ prices on Ebay. The real problem lies with JP Products often taking 6+ months to fill people's orders, if at all. Few people on comp.sys.cbm are willing to part with their carts either. Centsible knows this so they're trying to capitalise on the situation.

Having said that, Centsible seem to have gone loony with their prices on Amiga gear since they've gone around buying it up in North America. You reckon they would be keen to move some of the gear and price items a lot more realistically.
AdSense AdSense