English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 May 2016, 20:54   #1
devo

WinUAE sound issue

This is my first post on the board, so I'd just like to say a ‘good evening’ to everyone. I’m a long time A1200/short time WinUAE user, so my question may be just my lack of knowledge on the latter, but here goes...

My issue is with laggy sound running WinUAE with WHD files from HyperSpin/RocketLauncher (resulting in slow running of the emulator). At first I went down the route of lowering sound settings in the WinUAE interface and that improved things. But while I was changing and testing settings I accidentally noticed that just doing a restart and start (with no interface changes) improved the sound from being laggy and crackly, to clear. Why would a restart and start clear the problem? Ideally I’d like to run WinUAE from HyperSpin avoiding access to the WinUAE interface (basically to make access to games friendlier for the rest of my family).

I took a look at the RocketLauncher log file to see the command line parameters being used, removed the irrelevant ones, and got it down to the WHD loading options (with no gui). For example

winuae.exe –s use_gui=false –s filesystem=rw,WHD:”E:\Gaming\HyperSpin\Emulators\WinUAE 3.1\HDD\WHD” – s filesystem=ro,Games:”E:\Gaming\ROMs\Commodore Amiga\Zynaps_v1.0_0879.zip”

(I’m using WinUAE 3.2.2, I copied it into the 3.1 directory).

Trying the above from a cmd command line (outside of RocketLauncher) shows the same effect (laggy sound, F12, restart, start, clear sound and good emulation).

I’ve attached logs (the winuaelog file shows the buffer underflow before the restart) and my default config file, but if anything else would be helpful let me know.

Any suggestions are welcome, and might just save some of my hair! Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Default.uae (19.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (16.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (78.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: txt winuae.ini.txt (4.4 KB, 107 views)

AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 May 2016, 21:34   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Usually problem is not sound, sound is the first and easiest problem to notice when emulation runs slowly.

Enable on screen leds (misc -> native on screen display) or run in windowed mode and check values of FPS, CPU% and SND%.

Problem is not sound related if CPU% stays over 100% or if FPS stays under 50 (if PAL) or under 60 (if NTSC). (49 or 59 is still fine)

And of course, does it happen if you run winuae standalone? (if not, I don't think I can help..)

Same in Direct3D and DirectDraw modes? (Old Intel HD Graphics model's drivers can have issues..)
Old 02 May 2016, 22:26   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Never heard of RocketLauncher Front End...

Must be age... starting to get out of shape with retro world...
Old 02 May 2016, 22:29   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You could try selecting Emulated (A500) from the Audio filter. Works for me on some games.
Old 06 May 2016, 19:17   #5
devo

Toni, thanks for the hint on running windowed to see CPU usage. I'd been testing with fullscreen, and totally missed that.

Anyway I found that running WinUAE on it's own still demonstrated the problem. Which lead me to ditching my WinUAE configs and recreating them. And then everything worked fine without needing a WinUAE restart. So I'm not entirely sure what the problem was exactly, but there was something in the config files messing things up.

Old 07 May 2016, 09:10   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could you attach your new config? I'd like to quickly compare them.
Old 08 May 2016, 19:03   #7
devo

Here it is. I hope it's useful.
Attached Files
File Type: uae default.uae (18.0 KB, 55 views)

Old 10 May 2016, 17:30   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"More compatible" CPU option may be one reason (It enables CPU cache emulation if 68020)

Why do you have 22050Hz sound setting? It lowers sound quality (yes, Amiga single sound channel usually plays lower frequencies but resampling and channel mixing really needs higher rate)
Old 13 May 2016, 15:54   #9
devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"More compatible" CPU option may be one reason (It enables CPU cache emulation if 68020)

Why do you have 22050Hz sound setting? It lowers sound quality (yes, Amiga single sound channel usually plays lower frequencies but resampling and channel mixing really needs higher rate)
I dropped the frequency thinking it might help with the problem I had (laggy sound), and I'd been trying out changing some of the other sound settings as well. But now it works after a config rebuild, I guess I can put it back to what it was. Thanks. It can be useful hitting problems (for whatever reason), as it forces you to try to understand how things work.

Old 13 May 2016, 16:31   #10
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

try to set resolution to lores and line mode to single.
Look if it's better.
AdSense AdSense