I was a pirate and didnt give a toss 20 26.67%
I was a pirate but wasnt proud of it 6 8.00%
I bought some and copied some games 44 58.67%
I bought ALL my games 3 4.00%
Im a kleptomaniac and stole all my games 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 January 2003, 23:28   #21
Traquer

I was 10/11, i thought a pirate lived on a boat in the sea.
My brother obviously knew because he got me 50+ games one day. All my other games were presents bought by relatives. (20 or so)
If i was just a bit older i could have got so many more games *wishes was a pirate AYE AYE Cap'n!*

AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 January 2003, 02:23   #22
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

I bought some games, but back then I was just leaving school so I had a few mates with Amiga's and started swapping. (Mostly cos of financial situation)

I dont like the term "Pirate" for one who copied games from friends.

"Pirate" is the one who copies games for profit, and there were a few back then.

Today on the PC, its "I am a copier, and i am proud of it".

Yes I have originals of the first 2 "Shadow of the Beast" trilogy's (WITH SHIRTS).
Old 18 January 2003, 16:56   #23
sewerkid

aarrr cap`n heres my serious response,

right now theres little scope for sw`pirates`,
nearly everyone who uses a computer has
net access, thus has personal sw access.

for me, back in 92/95 i bought both `pirate`
and official games.

right now in 2003, i suppose i`m still doing the same,
using broadband i download pc and amiga stuff.
plus i also buy official pc and amiga stuff.

i have never had the guts to advertise and sell
pirate sw, so no, i have never been a pirate,

but i have sold an Amiga years ago together with
some of the disks that where`backups`with the machine.

Old 18 January 2003, 17:32   #24
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Floppy disk

Heh, mommy bought me major part of the games I had. I also had maybe a half dozen cracked games, but that's it.
I've always liked boxes, manuals, printed disks and so on. Original games are cooler!
And maybe that extreme piracy was in a small part responsible for my dear machine's commercial death! :kill
Don't ya think?
Old 18 January 2003, 19:17   #25
sewerkid

Quote:
And maybe that extreme piracy was in a small part responsible for my dear machine's commercial death
even though piracy hurts software development,i think the intel 486 proved more of a threat.
its what moved me forward, there was only somany times i
could watch comanche maximum overkill playing at my store
before i got a 486 of my own.
but hey, we got the best of both now.

Old 18 January 2003, 23:53   #26
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
I've always liked boxes, manuals, printed disks and so on. Original games are cooler!
I agree 100% on that. Trouble is that there were no Amiga originals here.

For PC, I have some original games, but everyone here agrees that our games are too expensive, so everyone just end up pirating anyway.
Old 27 January 2003, 19:42   #27
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

paid money for quite a lot of what I got - but most of it was pirate first and then stump up the cash if I thought it was worth it. Civilizeation got a copy Fri pm, waiting outside shop next day to buy. Same with Settlers, and Wordworth6, and PageStream....

If you copy to make money you're a pirate, if you copy to check out the s/w then you're smart...
Old 27 January 2003, 19:47   #28
Drake1009

There's something wrong with what you're saying there Syko.

I doubt that the BSA, RIAA or MPAA would agree with you at all. Copying to check out is piracy as well in thier opinion.
Old 27 January 2003, 21:06   #29
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
I doubt that the BSA, RIAA or MPAA would agree with you at all. Copying to check out is piracy as well in thier opinion.
Just because people have certain powers doesn't mean that they are right.
Old 27 January 2003, 22:34   #30
Drake1009

Of course it doesn't but they do have lawyers who have a very high success rating at making them right in court

I don't agree with them anyway and probably never will.
Old 27 January 2003, 22:38   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Just because people have certain powers doesn't mean that they are right.
I agree. Not familiar with BSA, but the RIAA and MPAA are each so completely out of line that it's a wonder they are even supported by anyone. MPAA is all about their discretionary views and has precious little to do with what the genral public wants or perceives; the RIAA are nothing but authorized crooks defending the rights of record labels and publishers to steal the work of artists. I'd rather be a pirate than support either of these two entities.
Old 27 January 2003, 22:43   #32
Drake1009

Hopefully it'll be possible to support the artist and not a major record label who hands over less than half the money after expenses are paid.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:51   #33
manicx

Well after realissing that the Amiga was going really bad in the game scene, I started buying everything new. This also includes shareware software like MUI, WHDLoad, Miami, etc Even today, I am still trying to buy originals even though I can find most of the games on the internet...
Old 30 January 2003, 14:38   #34
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

I wasn't giving a leagle view, just mine. Moreover I can back my point up ethicaly and moraly, and I dont treat the public with a greater level of contempt than Joe Stalin ever did by ramming the DRMC through both houses congress.

Both the RIAA and MPAA have conspired to defraud the American people (and others) of there constitutional rights, and, what's worse, have used their tame senetors to enact a statute that abrogates the sovereign rights of independant states.

I consider their arguments bankrupt as long as they rely on, and propose illeagle and unconstitutional laws that break the founding principals of the country they call home!

As long as the American government contiues to claim juristiction over other sovereign states using the DRMC then they are in breach of the UN constitution and should be declared a rogue state!
Old 30 January 2003, 16:05   #35
Feltzkrone

I used to borrow original games (yes, that was possible, there was one shop here where we could do it) and copy them with X-Copy. So in the end - I copied most and bought one (X-Copy).

Overall it was about 50 games I copied, just a little part of all games ever made, and some games were that crappy that I didn't copy them.

What makes the whole thing crazy: Back in these times it wasn't a problem to create and SELL a tool which gets around copy protections. Nowadays ANY tool or network is wanted to be destroyed by big-ass MPAA and other organizations.

The dimensions have changed. In the early nineties about four or five people developed a game, but now hundreds of people work on one software application or game. The quality of games has not become better IMHO, but development got more expensive. Probably this is the reason for companies having to fight piracy by these unconditional and partly law-breaking ways.

What's gone is privacy. ISPs giving out user profiles (yes, even in germany one person was busted (not yet, but they're working on it) because he did write about his "terroristic" views in a public forum -> but it was just sarcasm some people didn't want to understand) is just the beginning. With TCPA we'll have to say welcome to another age of big-ass bosses controlling the computer world...

BTW: Some years ago it was okay to copy a CD or LP to tape. Nowadays the music industry is screaming about MP3s and shit. Looks that they're just after money - but more excessive than in the past.
Old 02 February 2003, 16:07   #36
Jackpot_stu

Bit of both for me, I had more pirates than originals though, I remember one time an older mate of mine told me f.a.c.t were in the area so I hid all my games in the garden

Old 02 February 2003, 19:15   #37
cv643d

I pirated it all, and I was very proud of it. Why pay for something you could get for free. Nowdays I pirate all my software too, for Amiga, PC, SNES, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Xbox.

Only game Ive ever paid full price for was Half Life, coz I was an FPS maniac and didn't have any connections at the time and had a fresh Vodoo2 card that needed to be tested

The only difference from now and then was that I cared about the groups yesterday, nowdays I dont give a shit, I just leech and read the NFO to find out if you need special code or crack.
Old 02 February 2003, 19:18   #38
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackpot_stu
Bit of both for me, I had more pirates than originals though, I remember one time an older mate of mine told me f.a.c.t were in the area so I hid all my games in the garden
LOL! I had a friend who was scared as hell since a computermagazine had published a picture of two cops standing at the front door wanting to get in and search a suspected guys floppys (it was an arranged picture). He was really scared after that article and kept a strong magnet ready that he intended to use on his floppys if he knew he was going to get caught.
Old 07 February 2003, 07:27   #39
zaqwsx

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
If you copy to make money you're a pirate, if you copy to check out the s/w then you're smart...
Yeah, that's kinda how I see it.

When I was a student, I never thought about the bigger picture, it was just "Cool! I got this game for free!" and I didn't have any money for software anyways.

Nowadays I will still check out copied software, or use cracked versions, but if it is something that I really plan to use, I will purchase it - both to ease my conscience (because I am now fortunate enough to usually be able to afford it) and to say "thanks" to the individual who created it.

Old 07 February 2003, 19:36   #40
Mangar
Got the fever back

From 1986 to 1993 I pirated anything and everything. However, if I liked a game, and they managed to sell it in my country, (most times they did not) then I would buy it. I probably have bought about 50 Amiga Originals. The ones that were worth paying money for.

However, I'm a collector. I've never made money during my time in the scene.
AdSense AdSense