English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 27 April 2016, 14:48   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

CodyJarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 5,740
Dragonbox Pyra

It looks like the Dragonbox Pyra pre-orders will start on Sunday 1st May at the shop.

The full cost of a Pyra is estimated to be around €500 (~$565 or £388) for a normal model and €600 (~$678 or £465) for the 4G model. The pre-order cost is €290 (~$328 or £225) with the rest paid before the Pyra ships (date not finalised). So, yes, it's expensive!

The Pyra is the successor to the Pandora which was notorious for the lengthy, mishandled development and release period. However, the Pyra is being managed by the competent EvilDragon.

Hardware-wise, if the Pyra is anything like the Pandora then it will be an amazing and more powerful device. As with the Pandora you will be able to run emulators for Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum, C64, PC DOS, Arcade, Neo Geo, Gameboy, Megadrive/Genesis, SNES, N64 and PlayStation (amongst others and probably more modern machines) plus interpreted and open source games. There is also a full desktop Linux environment.

The specifications are:
  • Texas Instruments OMAP 5 SoC
  • 2x ARM Cortex-A15 @ 1.5Ghz with NEON SIMD
  • 2x ARM Cortex-M4
  • PowerVR™ SGX544-MP2
  • Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator
  • 2GB RAM, 32GB internal eMMC
  • 720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen
  • High-Quality speakers, analog volume wheel
  • Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out
  • Various sensors (accelerometer, gyro-sensor, etc.)
  • Vibration motor
  • Ultra-portable: approx. 140 x 84 x 29 mm*
  • Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)
  • Gaming controls (DPad, 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons)
  • Two accurate analog controls with push-button
  • QWERTY keyboard with backlight
  • Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Dual SDXC card slots, one internal MicroSDXC card slot (can be used for the OS instead of the eMMC)
  • 2x Full-size USB 2.0 Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)
  • Fully configurable RGB-LEDs for notifications
  • Optional 3G/4G/UMTS and GPS module

Here's my Pandora running Hunter:

CodyJarrett is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 April 2016, 15:07   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
Very nice and cool device, but shamefully overpriced considering all the alternatives we have today.
gulliver is offline  
Old 27 April 2016, 20:45   #3
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 40
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Very nice and cool device, but shamefully overpriced considering all the alternatives we have today.
It's pricey yes- but its made by a tiny company and they eschewed using cheap chinese parts for the most part.
Further it's nearly all made in Europe hence the high cost. Evildragon's profit margins are quite small on each device sold.

It's expensive but it's the only device that currently interests me- I doubt i'll get a modern gaming device like a ps4 but maybe.

Iv'e been over at pyrahandheld.org for years now and there's a good community to support the pyra at least. Software won't be perfect at launch.
Adrian Browne is offline  
Old 27 April 2016, 21:29   #4
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,423
How is it shamefully overpriced?!

Or did you forget a Samsung S7 or Apple IphoneS6 are selling for alot more than that price!
Amigajay is online now  
Old 27 April 2016, 21:55   #5
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
How is it shamefully overpriced?!

Or did you forget a Samsung S7 or Apple IphoneS6 are selling for alot more than that price!
Any Apple device is surely more expensive in any segment. I guess you hand picked the worst cost-performance ratio brand in the world. And Samsung is better, but not really much better.

There is a huge lot of different asian smartphones which either match or outperform the ones you mentioned, which are A LOT cheaper.

And then you have high-end tablets, and there is even all these plethora of projects with funky names that carry an Arm motherboard with similar or even better specs.

Furthermore, you still have the traditional handheld console brands with better offerings.
gulliver is offline  
Old 27 April 2016, 22:15   #6
kneehighspy
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: cerulean / usa
Posts: 73
i got tangled up in the original pandora fiasco, got a first run unit but it took me over two years and an exta $300 to get it from craig, before evildragon took over things.

i still have my original pandora, i am gonna skip the pyra. i paid over $500 for my pandora, so i am sitting this one out. i will spend my extra $ on my Amiga 3000 or 1000.

these projects that take 2 or more years to finally get (my pandora or my colecovision super game module) are eating my precious time i have left

//kneehighspy
kneehighspy is offline  
Old 27 April 2016, 22:21   #7
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 40
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehighspy View Post
i got tangled up in the original pandora fiasco, got a first run unit but it took me over two years and an exta $300 to get it from craig, before evildragon took over things.

i still have my original pandora, i am gonna skip the pyra. i paid over $500 for my pandora, so i am sitting this one out. i will spend my extra $ on my Amiga 3000 or 1000.

these projects that take 2 or more years to finally get (my pandora or my colecovision super game module) are eating my precious time i have left

//kneehighspy
Yes, I had a lot of fun with my pandoras but eventually I sold them on. The pyra will replace my pandoras.

Thankfully Craig is gone.
I almost lost 600 dollars on the icp2 kickstarter campaign, however Evildragon and Link stepped up and offered me a voucher for a pyra, minus kickstarters 10 per cent I have a pyra secured.

It's this sort of thing that makes me willing to pay for a pyra, Evildragon is trustworthy.
Adrian Browne is offline  
Old 27 April 2016, 22:55   #8
kamelito
Zone Friend
kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 818
isn't a PS Vita enough for emulation?

Kamelito
kamelito is offline  
Old 28 April 2016, 09:36   #9
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Any Apple device is surely more expensive in any segment. I guess you hand picked the worst cost-performance ratio brand in the world. And Samsung is better, but not really much better.

There is a huge lot of different asian smartphones which either match or outperform the ones you mentioned, which are A LOT cheaper.

And then you have high-end tablets, and there is even all these plethora of projects with funky names that carry an Arm motherboard with similar or even better specs.

Furthermore, you still have the traditional handheld console brands with better offerings.
Don't forget its a purpose built machine, not made in the millions to make billions, the profit margins are not existent in comparison, its a machine made because they want it, for me under £400 is a decent price for what you get, and it can do alot more than a smartphone and tablet could do, but with a full compliment of controls and keyboard as well and full size SD card slots for cheaper storage.

I did own the Pandora when it first came out and i will prob pick one of these up when they are in production.
Amigajay is online now  
Old 28 April 2016, 09:53   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 39
Posts: 4,454
It can not do a phone calls
Predseda is offline  
Old 28 April 2016, 10:09   #11
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
It can not do a phone calls
haha! maybe, but 90% of people with smartphones don't use them for phone calls
Amigajay is online now  
Old 28 April 2016, 18:31   #12
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 40
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
It can not do a phone calls
The Pyra should be able to do phone calls but one might look a bit daft doing it.
A wireless hands free device might make it a saner experience though.

That said I regularly see people walking around talking to themselves until on closer inspection they are talking on a hands free device- then there's the nuts who actually talk to themselves, it's getting hard to differentiate between the two...
Adrian Browne is offline  
Old 28 April 2016, 21:51   #13
kneehighspy
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: cerulean / usa
Posts: 73
i agree, evildragon is a great individual. since he is handling the pyra, things should go smoothly. man i almost forgot about the icp2 fiasco. the pyra does look tasty, but i really never got the use versus cost with my pandora.

i will keep my pandora in my collection, its still a good looking and handy device.

as you mentioned, thank goodness craig doesnt have his hands in the pyra, that should help the pyra. i think craig just sucked extra money out of us that were with the pandora from the start cause he knew we were chomping at the bit to get our units.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Yes, I had a lot of fun with my pandoras but eventually I sold them on. The pyra will replace my pandoras.

Thankfully Craig is gone.
I almost lost 600 dollars on the icp2 kickstarter campaign, however Evildragon and Link stepped up and offered me a voucher for a pyra, minus kickstarters 10 per cent I have a pyra secured.

It's this sort of thing that makes me willing to pay for a pyra, Evildragon is trustworthy.
kneehighspy is offline  
Old 28 April 2016, 22:49   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Don't forget its a purpose built machine, not made in the millions to make billions, the profit margins are not existent in comparison, its a machine made because they want it, for me under £400 is a decent price for what you get, and it can do alot more than a smartphone and tablet could do, but with a full compliment of controls and keyboard as well and full size SD card slots for cheaper storage.

I did own the Pandora when it first came out and i will prob pick one of these up when they are in production.
I do agree that it is not targetted to sell millions and is not backed up by a multimillion corprate entity.
Whether it can do much more than a smartphone/tablet is really debatable and subject to personal points of views.

Anyway, the first iteration of the Pandora was truly a novel device in the time it first appeared. Sadly it was badly managed.

What I still like about the Pandora though, despite its cost and features is its form factor. I really like that.

And I understand that people wish to support Indi hardware developers and their projects. Variety is always a good thing.
gulliver is offline  
Old 01 May 2016, 03:16   #15
stainy
Zone Friend
stainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Concord, NC, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,392
Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Pyra ( Open-Pandora successor )

Pre orders have started for the Pyra

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

Four versions available, both 2GB and 4GB, EU/US GSM/LTE GPS optional.

Everything is at the link, lots of info.

The ultimate Amiga ( and pretty much everything else ) emulator machine.
Not to mention full Debian on the go!
stainy is offline  
Old 06 May 2016, 09:22   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

CodyJarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 5,740
The Pyra pre-orders have passed the minimum of 500 and the next target is 750, followed by 1,000.

These devices are excellent for travelling, having a long battery life and being easy to operate in cramped conditions (e.g. planes).

Also, check out the recent Open Source conversion of [ Show youtube player ].

This is the Pyra prototype:




Last edited by CodyJarrett; 06 May 2016 at 09:32.
CodyJarrett is offline  
Old 06 May 2016, 09:33   #17
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,423
Sweet, looks cool, pretty much the Pandora with a few keyboard changes and other slight changes.
I would love one but i know it wouldn't get used as much as i would like, so i'll probably pass for now (until they get released and something gets ported that i really want on a handheld!)
Amigajay is online now  
Old 06 May 2016, 23:17   #18
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer
Lonewolf10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Cambridge, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 1,917
It's great having a choice of machines for emulating retro hardware - PC, GP32X, PS Vita and Dragonbox Pyra among others

However, this is a little pricey for me
Lonewolf10 is offline  
Old 07 May 2016, 15:13   #19
SkulleateR
Registered User

SkulleateR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 243
I still own a GP2X and use it quite often but for a emulation device the price is really hard for this one
SkulleateR is offline  
Old 08 May 2016, 01:27   #20
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 40
Posts: 647
Dragonbox Pyra quick overview video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Adrian Browne is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pyra Linux and retro gaming machine stainy Retrogaming General Discussion 5 15 October 2015 14:58

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.24539 seconds with 11 queries