English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 April 2016, 16:05   #21
jdog320
I dunno

In autostarting a500, it takes a while to load kick1.3 and a1200 the animation lags.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 April 2016, 17:27   #22
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Is your PC actually capable of running Win10? It seems to be struggling running Win10 and any programs you run on it.
Old 28 April 2016, 17:45   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It probably is simply a bad display driver if happens with sound disabled.

Older Intel integrated graphics have issues with Windows 10. (Most likely Intel just didn't bother with them anymore..)

You can try changing buffering mode in display panel but I don't think it helps.
Old 28 April 2016, 18:33   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
They are here.
No differences whatsoever. Strange. And there is nothing interesting between b24 and b25.

Does anything happen if you change Display panel buffering mode or refresh rate?
Old 28 April 2016, 19:29   #25
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
No differences whatsoever. Strange. And there is nothing interesting between b24 and b25.
Too bad!

Quote:
Does anything happen if you change Display panel buffering mode or refresh rate?
Doesn't happen anything when I change any of that two options.

But there is an "interesting" thing which maybe is related, I think: when I enable Low Latency VSync with 50 Hz on my LCD TV (I have tried on a window on desktop only) the CPU meter stay low and the FPS meter stay always at 49/50 Hz, and I get a very good performance for playing games or hear MOD music while I browse the internet, which before was not possible with JIT turned on.

I say "interesting", because Low Latency VSync (specially) should add a very big overhead to the CPU, but this time it fixes something. I have seen this thing hapenning many times on my computers running WinUAE.

Like I said previously, I have two computers, from two different brands (one national and the other is multinational), and the only similarity between the two is the speed, 2.5 GHz for a 32 bit desktop and 1.5 Ghz for my 64 bit notebook. (I hope you guys understand why I compare the speed of the two, please doesnt take too severily)

I think that other users doesnt seems to notice the "hickups" that happen with the CPU/FPS meter when JIT is enabled on b25+, because many users on this forum seems to use i7 CPUs with 3 GHz, and so I think it goes completely unnoticed because your WinUAE meters changes much faster than on my computer (even if it is happening anyway).

But what we can consider if we look the Low Latency VSync fact, and add another fact that without JIT my computers can emulate the 68k CPU with enjoyable speed using a CPU interpreter, and that WinUAE is able manage the CPU processor speed eficiently between the CPU emulator and the chipset emulator, running everything in sync?

Thinking that way, the WinUAE performance could be improved of course, I dont say this only for me, but for many users of more powerful computers that could benefit from this change, too, from one way or another.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 02 May 2016 at 21:22.
Old 02 May 2016, 04:32   #26
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
One possible cause is DirectDraw mode. The newer the Windows version, the worse it seems to run, especially in fullscreen. Try Direct3D.
Time to remove DirectDraw, and stick with just D3D?
Old 02 May 2016, 05:03   #27
Diz_57

removing directdraw is a bad idea as it still runs better than direct3d for some people with weird setups like me!
Old 02 May 2016, 09:34   #28
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

DirectDraw isn't going anywhere, yes it is totally obsolete but it is also useful backwards compatibility option for older systems.
Old 02 May 2016, 18:01   #29
AnnaWu

Quote:
DirectDraw isn't going anywhere, yes it is totally obsolete but it is also useful backwards compatibility option for older systems.
Old 02 May 2016, 21:22   #30
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Doesn't happen anything when I change any of that two options.

But there is an "interesting" thing which maybe is related, I think: when I enable Low Latency VSync with 50 Hz on my LCD TV (I have tried on a window on desktop only) the CPU meter stay low and the FPS meter stay always at 49/50 Hz, and I get a very good performance for playing games or hear MOD music while I browse the internet, which before was not possible with JIT turned on.
Hi, I need to know if there is something that Toni can do to fix my JIT issue, in hands with that information. If any of you guys doesn't replied because you can't understand what I wrote, feel free to ask, it doesnt hurt me.
Old 03 May 2016, 10:19   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You need to stop trying to assume it is JIT related. It can't be. It is something more general that JIT just triggers. (It could be even some weird power saving side-effect)

Usual info required: CPU%, FPS etc.. values in different modes. (not just in JIT mode)
Old 03 May 2016, 11:12   #32
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Hi, I need to know if there is something that Toni can do to fix my JIT issue, in hands with that information. If any of you guys doesn't replied because you can't understand what I wrote, feel free to ask, it doesnt hurt me.
You seem to have powerful enough computers, why do you use JIT ? JIT was made from the start when we had computers not fast enough.
Old 03 May 2016, 12:20   #33
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
You seem to have powerful enough computers, why do you use JIT ? JIT was made from the start when we had computers not fast enough.
Its a good idea, thanks. Actually this is what I am doing right now all these times I can't use JIT. Anyway I want to help Toni if possible. I also thought that the JIT could decrease the CPU usage, and help the laptop to save energy, but I think I am wrong.

@Toni: These are the numbers I got now. All tests are done on Workbench, with a 256 color screen. I guarantee to you that while with a 16 color screen is faster, it's not very different.

b25 continuous graphics update (I was scrolling Workbench windows and with a MOD playing in DeliTracker): snd -40ms, cpu 115%, fps 42
b25 idle (without DeliTracker): snd 22ms, cpu 90%, fps 49/50 (*)
b25 reading drawers (without DeliTracker): snd 15ms, cpu 72%, fps 49/50

b24 continuous graphics update: snd 0ms cpu 80% fps 49/50
b24 idle: 2ms cpu 64% fps 50
b24 reading drawers: snd 2ms cpu 80% fps 49/50

(*) What is interesting is that when b25 is idle and the sound buffer gets empty at 25% positive, the CPU usage increases, in opposite to decrease.
Old 03 May 2016, 17:33   #34
meynaf
68k wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
JIT can be very useful even on powerful computers. Everything just flies !
Old 03 May 2016, 18:46   #35
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I'm bit lost, why are you using old version of WInUAE?
Old 03 May 2016, 21:12   #36
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I'm bit lost, why are you using old version of WInUAE?
No, I am not using it everyday, it is only for tests. That is because the version 2.9.0b25 was the first that was slow on my computer when I enabled JIT. That slowness is present today too with version 3.3.0. However when I disable JIT, WinUAE gets fast again, and I can do everything with it without speed loss.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 03 May 2016 at 21:19.
Old 04 May 2016, 15:30   #37
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
@Toni: These are the numbers I got now. All tests are done on Workbench, with a 256 color screen. I guarantee to you that while with a 16 color screen is faster, it's not very different.
Does later official versions match exactly or do they have different CPU% values?
Old 04 May 2016, 21:08   #38
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Does later official versions match exactly or do they have different CPU% values?
Yes, there is something minor that changed with the later versions. I have tested 3.2.2.0, and on this version the CPU meter hardly exceeds 106%. But when WinUAE is idle and the sound buffer gets virtually empty (at 25%) the CPU meter reach near 100%. Excluding that, there isn't any big difference between these versions, and I have tested each one since their releases.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 05 May 2016 at 00:19.
Old 05 May 2016, 14:22   #39
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
No, I am not using it everyday, it is only for tests. That is because the version 2.9.0b25 was the first that was slow on my computer when I enabled JIT. That slowness is present today too with version 3.3.0. However when I disable JIT, WinUAE gets fast again, and I can do everything with it without speed loss.
LOL, I knew this sounds familiar...

Check this topic: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77450

Change CPU % in advanced power settings should fix your problem.
Old 05 May 2016, 23:51   #40
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
LOL, I knew this sounds familiar...

Check this topic: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77450

Change CPU % in advanced power settings should fix your problem.
No, it was a good try, but that isn't the case now. Windows evergy saving is set to "High Performance" and the CPU in advanced power settings is set to 30% for battery, and 100% for AC, and I have tested it in AC power mainly.

I know that JIT does have different factors for getting the best performance of it than the "interpreted" WinUAE 68k emulation, but the difference between interpreted and JIT I think is "abismal" because the JIT needs far greater resources than the interpreter, yesterday I was playing with WinUAE without JIT and the performance was good even with "Power saver" mode. So I think it should not be a configuration/hardware problem.
AdSense AdSense