English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 April 2016, 11:47   #1
woodcutterphoto

Help and Advice regarding Digi View Gold by NewTek

Hello,

Dear All, I am hoping you may be able to offer some help and advice.
Currently I am researching a Photographic Project to begin late Spring, related to the themes of Identity, Groups/Tribes, Personal and Corporate Branding.
My main topic of research has been located around the 1986 - Fashion, Symbolism and Technology, leading me to this forum.

I am incredibly interested in using Technology connected to the 1980's and have found an early Video/Photo system called - Digi View Gold by NewTek for the Amiga.

Would anyone be able to find or help me find a working version of this?? Or if it may be possible to emulate this system??

It would fit my project perfectly in terms of research and aesthetic and I was hoping you may be able to offer a bit more background about it and if it is at all still usable??
Please if you could let me know if you have any ideas about this I would be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks in advance for your time and any further info, help or advice you may have.

Kind Regards,
Richard

AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 April 2016, 17:10   #2
desiv

I don't think you're going to be able to emulate it, but it's perfectly usable still.
You will just need real hardware...
I had one back in the day..

I really appreciated the way they got around the requirement for really expensive video equipment needed to capture color hires images by using a 3 pass approach.

I didn't go with the color displays myself as I was looking for video capture (from VCRs mostly) and bought an additional electronic color splitter.

For me, the process was:
1: Get as good a freeze frame as I can. :-)
Then it's the same basic process.
2: Set the electronic color splitter to the first setting (same as positioning your color wheel if you're using a b/w camera and the included color wheel).
3: Scan an image.
4: Change the color splitter (or color wheel) to the next setting and scan again.
5: Repeat step 4 once more.
6: Profit!
(Ok, the profit part wasn't true for me as it was just for fun, but still.. ;-)

I really enjoyed the Digiview Gold.

Also, if you haven't yet seen the Digiview demos (they are mostly on Youtube I think), you should check them out. Epic! (At least at the time.)

(Is there a youtube version of NewTek DemoReel 3 that includes "The Face" part working? I remember just being astonished by that... But I don't think it worked (now?) in emulators..)

desiv
Old 05 April 2016, 18:14   #3
amiman99

I had one, but sold it few year ago.
I used it with a electronic color spliter. The results were OK, not spectacular. In 80s it would have been fun and useful, now, not so much.
I think for BEST results you should get high quality BW camera, and when you purchase the sw make sure you get the color wheel, and a tripod for the camera.
Old 06 April 2016, 13:01   #4
Genlock
BAA - Born Again Amigan

Used on a A500 [ Show youtube player ]

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/digiviewgold

hope this helps.
Old 07 April 2016, 03:09   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

When used with a color wheel and monochrome composite camera, as the original use case was intended to be, it nicely sidesteps the low-resolution chroma of a color composite signal.
AdSense AdSense