English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 March 2016, 09:29   #1
psykicko

USB MIDI 4 ports under WINUAE (OS3.9/OS4.1FE)

Hi Im new here. I bricked my x1000 so now im running windows 10 and Winuae with os3.9 and os4.1fe. Another reason is i got bored of waiting for os4.1fe fixes and delay of os4.2. So to keep a bit of the amigaspirit i installed winuae. Not the same thing as the 128mb filelimit, warp3d etc but at least some stuff works

My new specs i7 6700HQ, 32gb ram, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD.

I used to run usb midi with 4 ports under Amigaos4 on x1000. Thanks to Lyle for the camd.library and usb drivers etc. However my favourite program hd-rec went opensource but no work on it and there wasnt much avaible that uses midi and latest amigaos4.1fe made hd-rec more crashy. Then theres my private stuff like work etc that makes you tired when coming home. A mix of stuff

On the usb i use 3 ports for 3 different hardware synthesizers. Im gonna sell all except keep one and continue on FL Studio and maybe renoise. But it would be nice to finish some tunes i started with 6 years ago. The thing is i can only use one of them as winuae i can choose one of the midi ports under midi settings in winuae press. I can choose one of the four.

Another solution is to use midi thru on my devices and then i can use all 3 but that means share the 16 midi channels between them. For my tunes i use 3 x 16 channels.

I tried with os3.9. I had to find some old camd.library from aminet and use midi prefs in os3.9 to choose serial.device. I see only possibility to choose one device.

So my question is can i somehow make winuae under os3.9 to choose 3 ports, thats use my 3 synthesizers connected to my usb midi. So that i can use 3 x 16 channels. Thats 3 midi ports for example in hdrec. Or am i limited to only one.

second question. can i emulate midi under os4.1fe (ppc emulation) the same way ? on os4.1fe we have to use camd.library that uses my usb midi. or can i just forget midi under os4.1fe under winuae ?

Just so i know what my next move is. If no solution then ill sell the equipment and keep only one. So i dont loose more time testing
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2016, 12:28   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can use uaeserial.device, each uaeserial.device unit maps to host OS serial port (USB or not). (check winuaebootlog.txt to see mapping)

It should also work under OS4.x as long as you use latest beta. Read this first: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81146.
Old 20 March 2016, 18:36   #3
psykicko

I just dont how to do all the mappings. You can check my attached log and config if you have time. Attached is a picture on files for camd.device for use with midi. I used on x1000 usbmidi driver and thats what i have installed in winuae too. Do i have to use anything else ?

on the winuaebootlog you can see the 4 ports of ESI-M4U i would like to use.

winuaebootlog.txt

OS4.1FE.uae

Click image for larger version

Name:	os4depot.png
Views:	121
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	47963

Name:	hdrecOSgrab.png
Views:	124
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	47965

if you dont know howto maybe howto for os3.9. I use the same program there.

Last edited by psykicko; 20 March 2016 at 23:58.
Old 21 March 2016, 08:47   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't know how Amiga MIDI software works but forget about it being physically USB, emulator hides it and makes it look like normal serial port device.

You need software that accepts Amiga serial port like device and unit number. If it accepts serial.device unit 0, replace it with uaenet.device unit <unit number that matches your physical port>

Something that supports multiport serial hardware boards. They work like uaeserial.device, one device with multiple units.
Old 21 March 2016, 15:25   #5
psykicko

HD-REC and other applications uses camd.library for midi. Its like a midi library. Then you have to have a driver for the actual hardware for example gameports pci_soundcards with midi connection, usb midi etc. These drivers we put in devs/midi so programs that uses camd.library sees and uses whats in devs/midi. At least how i remember. Thats what i show in the os4depot picture.

I will ask a friend that has more knowledge on os4 but it doesnt look good as we cant type in manually to use a serial device etc. Needs a driver for that but i will check.
Old 23 March 2016, 21:25   #6
psykicko

I asked a friend but he told me all camd versions have serial support except NG, because ng serial ports dont do 31250.

I know people are busy with own projects, family etc so ill just skip nagging
If there was some driver on 68k for camd where i could type in uaenet.device then i would try it ofcourse. Anyway thanks for all help.
Old 24 March 2016, 08:33   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Obviously it is simply OS4 driver limit = it can't work with classic hardware multi port serial port cards either (which uaenet.device simulates) = not my problem.

EDIT: Unless there is some (very) simple solution.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 March 2016 at 09:20.
Old 24 March 2016, 11:58   #8
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Obviously it is simply OS4 driver limit = it can't work with classic hardware multi port serial port cards either (which uaenet.device simulates) = not my problem.

EDIT: Unless there is some (very) simple solution.
just for curiosity... on Aros (68k) there is also the camd library

any experience if it works and how it must be configured?

I have not tested it myself because I do not own any midi hardware
Old 24 March 2016, 16:37   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think camd.library is OS specific (and it comes with OS4). It may have support for hardware specific "drivers" but I am not interested in finding out how it works, this is, as usual, Someone Else's Problem
Old 24 March 2016, 17:30   #10
wawa

as i mentioned over on aw.net, why stick to os4 with its limitations rather than switch to genuine 68k amiga system hd-rec is designed for and camd support is apparently better?
Old 25 March 2016, 00:30   #11
psykicko

@wava:

camd.library is more advanced on os4 actually and support for more drivers but thats on os4 hardware. hd-rec is best under 68k as the development but runs also on os4 as special config and some ported plugins. I was betatester. But theres one crash under os4 that you could continue to work anyway (jump rts) so not a biggie. The developer couldnt remove it as he didnt have this under 68k. But with latest os4.1Fe it started to crash sometimes when starting it also. And as there havent been any bugfixes released for normal users for os4 i couldnt see if this crash would be gone or still be there.

But lets concentrate on 68k as it emulates serial.device for camd.library. Ill see if its worth the work

Last edited by psykicko; 25 March 2016 at 03:47.
Old 27 March 2016, 22:26   #12
psykicko

Just wanted to say that i give up on making music on amiga. The last 2 tunes will probably never be finished. I got midi to work as said but when sending files with sysex hd-rec hanged/crashed. Sometimes the whole system. All this test and trial have taken too much time. Its time to move on.

Ill keep os4.1FE/Winuae and keep my eyes on the betas. Thanks again for all the help.

EDIT: I tried an old os3.9 setup of mine instead of amikit. Maaaan it loaded fast. Amikit must have alot of stuff making it boot longer and slower. Anyway i just wanted to add that i forgot that hd-rec can actually be told to use serial.device etc instead of a driver. Its a plugin called "camd2device". It works both on os4 and os39 but doesnt seem stable. However using uaenet.device or uaeserial.device dont work as you see in the picture. Only serial.device works but only one port. Just so you know of this plugin. But anyway sending sysex and receiving doesnt work. Strange stuff happens when sending and nothing when receiving.

Name:	hdrec.png
Views:	107
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	48027

Last edited by psykicko; 28 March 2016 at 03:12.
AdSense AdSense