English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 March 2016, 01:14   #81
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
You've obviously never EVER played Shadow of the Beast 2 - F10 is used to kill your avatar when you get stuck, and by using it as the quitkey, you deprive yourself of one of the best death sequences ever in Amiga gaming.
Why not read my previous posts? It's obvious you haven't. I've explained everything there already.

THE END.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 March 2016, 08:04   #82
ajk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Are you saying that OS 3.1 will even run the older OCS games under WHDLoad, even under AGA? And a faster processor? I figured they wouldn't run properly unless it was on their original processor and hardware?
This is basically the entire reasoning behind WHDLoad! To iron out compatibility issues the original developers have not (or could not have) accounted for, also beyond just hard drive installability.

Now, not all WHDLoad slaves are perfect, and you might have to adjust settings for an individual game, but the goal is that everything will work on anything.

AGA is backwards compatible, everything that you could do on OCS/ECS you can also do on AGA. The same goes more or less for the 68k CPU line, sometimes fixes may have to be done in the WHDLoad slave.

3.1 has no dependency on AGA, it was released for everything including the A500.

Here's my rather expanded A4000 happily running all kinds of older games: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 March 2016, 09:20   #83
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Why not read my previous posts? It's obvious you haven't. I've explained everything there already.

THE END.
All I've seen is you specify F10 as the global quitkey, but that would override any game or demo that also used it.

And I switched to A1200 with WB 3.1, as it's a more compatible platform. Should've made that more clear.
Old 23 March 2016, 09:35   #84
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Here's my rather expanded A4000 happily running all kinds of older games: [ Show youtube player ]
Ciao ajk, congratulations for your A4000, you made me want to replace my A4000/060 dead for more than 15 years; what and where you have mounted the USB Memory Card Readers
Old 23 March 2016, 10:01   #85
ajk

@AMIGASYSTEM

I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but just to answer briefly it's an ordinary card reader connected to a Deneb
Old 23 March 2016, 10:03   #86
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank youajk, it is nice to see a A4000 kept so well
Old 23 March 2016, 18:08   #87
Foebane

Just tried running WHDLoad on an A4000-030 configuration on WinUAE, and all the old Amiga games are going nuts! Too fast, glitching, etc. Do real A4000s behave the same, or is there something I'm not doing to slow down the games?
Old 23 March 2016, 20:09   #88
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Disable JIT if it's enabled and use cycle exact mode.
Old 23 March 2016, 22:31   #89
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Disable JIT if it's enabled and use cycle exact mode.
Thanks, I forgot about that.
Old 28 March 2016, 08:12   #90
Foebane

Just tried E-Motion on WHDLoad, and it turns out that every key on the keyboard is a Quitkey! How ridiculous is that, eh? Especially when you come to enter your name on the high score table! Sod that, I'm going back to the ADF for this one.
Old 28 March 2016, 12:09   #91
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

No problems here, have you specified custom quitkey in S/whdload.prefs ?

If not try adding QuitKey=$5d (quit using * on numpad).
Old 28 March 2016, 12:30   #92
Foebane

I have done that, yes.

Just tried E-Motion again and selected "(none)" for the Joystick, and pressing the arrow keys causes it to quit! Ridiculous!
Old 28 March 2016, 13:14   #93
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Can't duplicate the error.

I selected P1 Keyboard controls, A, Z and space to control, arrow keys does nothing.
Have you mapped arrow keys in WinUAE to something else than the default mappings ?
Old 28 March 2016, 13:25   #94
Foebane

I use "Keyboard Layout B" in Port 2. I can control the game then, but any other key just quits the game. Quite useless when you want to enter your name in the high score table and take a screenshot, and you can't.

Forget it, I'll just return to the old ADFs I used for E-Motion and Vaxine (they go together, as far as I'm concerned) - at least they worked.
Old 04 April 2016, 07:09   #95
Foebane

I have a fully-featured Workbench 3.1 installation from Amiga Forever, and it seems it has WHDLoad on it, but it is the unregistered version.

Can I simply copy over the existing WHDLoad files with the registered version? I've tried this in the past and WHDLoad refuses to run afterwards! What am I doing wrong?
Old 05 April 2016, 19:14   #96
Foebane

I can't get the game part of this WHDLoad package to run:
http://www.whdownload.com/games/Upda..._v1.0_1940.zip

When I click on the game part, it loads, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then there's a split second of audio before it quits back to Workbench.

I'm using an A1200 config with 4Mb of Fast RAM as well as 2Mb of Chip RAM.

What do I need to do?
Old 05 April 2016, 20:23   #97
Foebane

I figured out what the problem was: I had set "`" (the key in the corner of the keyboard under Escape) as my Quitkey in WHDLoad.prefs, and it caused a conflict with this particular game, so I've renamed the prefs file so WHDLoad can't see it and uses the default settings - this way, I can rename it back if I want to use it again.
Old 06 April 2016, 05:10   #98
Diz_57

You do realise most programs can have their own quit keys right? Check the workbench tooltypes
Old 06 April 2016, 21:27   #99
Foebane

I just checked, and it seems my custom "`" quitkey is causing the problems I had with E-Motion, that EVERY key on the keyboard causes that game to quit! I disabled the quitkey and that problem disappears!

As I said before (I think) I only enabled the custom quitkey simply because one game (Damocles) has F10 as a quit key, but it's an important key in the game itself! So I think I should keep the quitkey for that game and no others.

Come to think of it, I noticed that every line in the WHDLoad.prefs file has got a semicolon ( in front of it, which acts as a comment, so basically, NOTHING in that file actually does anything unless the semicolon is removed. My guess is it's more like additional options than preferences.
Old 06 April 2016, 21:35   #100
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Everything you set in whdload.prefs is global for all games. Any tooltype you set in a specific game icon overwrite this settings.
AdSense AdSense