English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 March 2016, 12:03   #21
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
What and where IS this C: drive? All during today when looking at this, I've heard people refer to the C: drive especially for WHDLoad! I'd never even heard of said drive until then!
It's the directory where AmigaDOS commands are stored.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2016, 12:33   #22
Tomislav

C: is usually assigned to SYS:C. There is NO naming convention on Amiga like in MS DOS/Windows for partitions/volumes from A to Z. If partition is named Workbench and it is assigned as SYS: and is on DH0:, you can access with cd DH0: or cd SYS: or cd Workbench: (Note: ":" must be at end of volume name, otherwise it will try to access directory named Workbench if you write cd Workbench).

Last edited by Tomislav; 17 March 2016 at 12:40.
Old 17 March 2016, 12:57   #23
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

@ Foebane - I suggest you follow ol' Paul's guide to how properly to install Workbench and WHDload. I am sure you can learn thing or two while you follow it.

http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm

Also to remember, ClassicWB comes with WHDLoad already installed (only missing kickstart files - all thanks to Cloanto for that), but using it means you will not learn much about Amiga and Workbench.

Lastly, you can follow instruction for Gamebase Amiga - and install WHDLoads that runs from Windows GUI or use that 'other' emulator (FS-UAE) that has similar functionality... again with this you will not learn much... but you will get games running.
Old 17 March 2016, 13:37   #24
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
I don't click on the icon for the game, as I have the files listed as Names, I just click on the name of the game - but nothing happens.

It could be down to the Tooltype path, but I copied over the original files so the path is the same.

Any ideas?
Are you trying to load the slave just by clicking on it?
The Icon is needed to load the game or you can use a script or CLI.

You need to type WHDLoad <name of game slave>.slave to get the game to run in it's basic form. You can also add tooltypes to the command line.
Old 17 March 2016, 13:55   #25
Foebane

I hit a snag: one WHDLoad game didn't run, and threw up a missing file error concerning "kick40068.a4000".

Looking around for the answer, I came across this info:
http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

And now I don't know how to proceed.
Old 17 March 2016, 13:58   #26
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I don't click on the icon for the game, as I have the files listed as Names, I just click on the name of the game - but nothing happens.

It could be down to the Tooltype path, but I copied over the original files so the path is the same.

Any ideas?
To run the Games in WHDLoad format: the file WHDLoad (command) must execute his ".slave", and this can be done through an associated icon "project", a command to CLI (Shell). In addition there are GUI (Front End) that allows you to start all the games by choosing their own menu, i enclose my video esaustivo:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 March 2016, 14:09   #27
Foebane

It's alright, I've sorted out that problem and can run some games fine, but there's that thing about the kickstarts that's the problem now!
Old 17 March 2016, 14:13   #28
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
I hit a snag: one WHDLoad game didn't run, and threw up a missing file error concerning "kick40068.a4000".

Looking around for the answer, I came across this info:
http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

And now I don't know how to proceed.
Create a new folder called Kickstarts in your DEVS: directory.

Then download http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/skick346.lha
You'll find kick40068.A4000.RTB somewhere inside.

Copy that file (kick40068.A4000.RTB) to DEVS:Kickstarts.

Then you'll need to source a 3.1 Kickstart ROM file for A4000 (version 40.68, be careful with the version, there are a few floating around) and rename it to kick40068.A4000. You can then copy it into DEVS:Kickstarts.

Done!

The same solution also goes for any other Kickstart request you might see with WHDLoad (1.2, 1.3, etc.).
Old 17 March 2016, 14:39   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
It's alright, I've sorted out that problem and can run some games fine, but there's that thing about the kickstarts that's the problem now!
As already shown in my video, follow what the user said jbenam
Old 17 March 2016, 15:15   #30
Foebane

I followed the table on the WHDLoad link above and renamed a whole set of ROMs to match the RTB files, but now I can't copy the files to the Workbench HDF because the disk is full!

If the Workbench install is on an HDF and I have extra partitions for files using Windows folders, can I get C: or DEVS: or whatever to work from the partitions with a Mount command?

Otherwise, I can't see how I'm going to get this to work properly.
Old 17 March 2016, 15:18   #31
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You can put the Games on another partition and boot from the Workbench partition.
Old 17 March 2016, 15:24   #32
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You can put the Games on another partition and boot from the Workbench partition.
I already do that, but I need room on the Workbench HDF to install WHDLoad and the Devs:Kickstarts folders, and there isn't enough room.
Old 17 March 2016, 15:29   #33
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Make a bigger HDF, mount both together and copy the old files & dirs to the bigger one.
Old 17 March 2016, 15:40   #34
Foebane

Quote:
Make a bigger HDF, mount both together and copy the old files & dirs to the bigger one.
No idea how to do that.

Unfortunately, I may have no choice as it seems I don't have the full install disks for Workbench 2.1.
Old 17 March 2016, 15:47   #35
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
I followed the table on the WHDLoad link above and renamed a whole set of ROMs to match the RTB files, but now I can't copy the files to the Workbench HDF because the disk is full!
Try not copying every Kickstart out there and instead just the ones you need
Old 17 March 2016, 15:57   #36
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Do you use sendspace, cloud, mega or anything like that?

If you can send me your HDF, I'll make a bigger one, partition it the same (only bigger SYS: partition) and send it you back.

Or if you want to try making your own I could try to explain how to make a new HDF.

@all

Is there a sticky for making HDF's in WinUAE?
Old 17 March 2016, 17:00   #37
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
You can create a new, larger Hard File and copy all the contents of the old smaller Hradfile, after copying if the restart you have a problem due to the "volume name" rename the new Harfile and by the same name as the old.

Quote:

If the Workbench install is on an HDF and I have extra partitions for files using Windows folders, can I get C: or DEVS: or whatever to work from the partitions with a Mount command?
Yes, You can do, but you have to add in the startup-sequence assignment of a directory to the new volume, example:

Assign Add C: DHX:C
Assign Add Devs: DHXevs
Assign Add Libs: DHX:Lib

Etc...

DHX= The second volume name
Old 17 March 2016, 19:30   #38
Foebane

I worked out a solution to the HDF problem, and that was to simply copy the entire contents out to a partition using a Windows folder under WinUAE.

I finally managed to get the WHDLoad game that wouldn't run before to run this time, but now, after having packed up everything into an installer module that I make for my emulators, it no longer works - in fact, Workbench doesn't work anymore, and there seem to be files missing.

My guess is that after I copied the HDF files over, Windows said that the file attributes were pretty mixed up, with a lot of System files and so forth. I think what happened was that when I packed up the files with ImgBurn (which I use to maintain file integrity) it must've skipped the files marked with the System attribute.

In any case, I'm not doing any more today, but will try again and hopefully get it fully working tomorrow. I consider today a dry run.
Old 17 March 2016, 19:35   #39
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Yeah, don't use windows with Amiga files. It always ends in tears. Best to use lha on the Amiga and store them on the windows dir.
Old 17 March 2016, 19:45   #40
Foebane

Quote:
Yeah, don't use windows with Amiga files. It always ends in tears. Best to use lha on the Amiga and store them on the windows dir.
I've had no problems until today. Next time, I will simply make all the file attributes the same.
AdSense AdSense