English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 March 2016, 13:09   #1
Elbaid

Amiga/Dos differences

Hi all, LTL/FTP.
Just been playing around with different versions of Sierra's The Colonel's Bequest in various emulators and never realised until now that the hanging chandelier in the main hall is animated with additional sound effects in the DOS version, but not on the Amiga. I'm aiming to play/re-play the best versions of games from this era, as opposed to Simpy playing the Amiga version of everything, but I always had the Amiga down as the superior platform for Sierra SCI games. The music and SFX still sound much better on the Amiga, even compared to MT-32 emulation via munt IMO, now I'm reconsidering which is the superior version; Amiga with better sound effects or DOS with extra animations etc.
Can anyone think of other Sierra SCI games which had details reduced for the Amiga port?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 March 2016, 13:24   #2
vulture

Well, most Sierra games were ported from PC to Amiga, they didn't even have 32 colours (other than later "enhanced" re-releases), but rather kept the 16 colours from the PC version. The amiga versions were expected to be playable from floppies as well, whereas the PC ones were only (?) playable from the HD. I suppose, some stuff could be omitted from miggy to allow for faster loading/less disks production. Now, of course amiga had the better sound. Imo, if the gfx differences are small, like an animated chandelier, I'd consider the Amiga version superior for the enhanced audio experience.
Old 08 March 2016, 14:36   #3
Elbaid

Yeah Sierra certainly made some lazy ports.
I think the wobbly chandelier works as a clue in this game (sorry for the minor spoiler), but overall I agree it doesn't constitute a superior gaming experience, but who knows what other small additions are missing?
Speaking of better versions; Prince of Persia on the Amiga uses a reverb effect on all the sound effects which adds much more atmosphere than the DOS version, given as the game is set in dungeons etc

Last edited by Elbaid; 08 March 2016 at 14:42.

Old 08 March 2016, 16:18   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I remember some Sierra games had a level of detail setting, perhaps it's present on the Amiga version of Colonel's Bequest but set to lowest by default?
Old 09 March 2016, 22:43   #5
Elbaid

Good point, I'll look for a detail setting when I'm next home

Old 12 March 2016, 14:36   #6
Elbaid

Just played around some more and realised the chandelier in the Amiga version does in fact wobble occasionally, but it's at random intervals, you may not see it the first time you pass it. The DOS version chandelier wobbles continuously which is much more unsubtle. The miggy version has buckets of more atmosphere

AdSense AdSense