English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 February 2016, 18:54   #1
morbius

Trapdoor ram expansion question

Hi guys, i owned a Amiga 500 plus back in the day and really loved it and the games it had. So i recently bought a standard 500 with the trapdoor ram expansion fitted (i think it is the one without clock) and it came with loads of disks including workbench etc, plus a lot of cracked games. It seems to work fine generally and seems to be in good condition (apart from being a similar colour to the queen mums smile). The thing i am having trouble with is that although i can play chaos engine and cool spot (1meg games i believe), i can't seem to load alien breed or superfrog. When loading alien breed a message appears telling me i haven't got the extra ram, or that it isn't enabled. When loading superfrog it gets past the initial extra lives setup etc screen, but won't let me start the game. Is this a corrupted software problem, or is it something else?. Thanks for any help you can give. cheers. Martin.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 February 2016, 19:59   #2
SkulleateR

can you load workbench or xcopy for example ? they show you the amount of ram you have

A500 + Trapdoor should normaly be 512KB Chip Mem and 512KB Slow Mem .... Dunno if Alien Breed needs more chip mem ?
Old 15 February 2016, 20:05   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
A500 + Trapdoor should normaly be 512KB Chip Mem and 512KB Slow Mem .... Dunno if Alien Breed needs more chip mem ?
Back in the day I had an A500 + trapdoor RAM expansion (I think it was called ECS Denise or something). I'm sure someone more knowledgeable with clarify...

Anyway Alien Breed and Superfrog worked fine

These days my WinUAE configs for both those games have 512KB Chip RAM + 512KB Slow RAM and they both work.

Maybe it's the cracked disks that you're using morbius?
Old 15 February 2016, 20:13   #4
SkulleateR

Yep, but maybe there are contact problems with his trapdoor expansion

Thatīs why I asked about starting WB
Old 15 February 2016, 20:16   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep, but maybe there are contact problems with his trapdoor expansion
Yes very true.

I remember one of my stepfather's friends actually did the expansion for us. It was a bit of a dodgy job and there was a switch / lever to turn it off or on
Old 15 February 2016, 20:31   #6
morbius

When loading workbench it shows 8000 odd kb RAM. Is this correct, and why would cool spot work. cheers. ps expansion has a switch on it, but i can't tell which way is on.

Last edited by morbius; 15 February 2016 at 20:46.

Old 15 February 2016, 20:43   #7
kipper2k

superfrog needs 1mb chipmem, the a500+ is the only a500 with 1mb chipmem, you would need to do the chipmem hack on earlier versions to get 1mb chipmem
Old 15 February 2016, 20:48   #8
SkulleateR

Workbench (with 512kb Chip + 512kb Slow) should look like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench13_001.png
Views:	95
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	47495  
Old 15 February 2016, 20:54   #9
morbius

Quote:
Workbench (with 512kb Chip + 512kb Slow) should look like this
Yes that is the same.

Old 15 February 2016, 21:05   #10
SkulleateR

Ok, so your mem expansion is working fine .... so only thing left are the disks
Old 15 February 2016, 21:07   #11
morbius

Thanks for your help. What is the chip mem hack?.

Old 15 February 2016, 21:22   #12
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius View Post
Thanks for your help. What is the chip mem hack?.

Hi,

it depends on the motherboard revision. Hopefully you have the Rev 6a... you will need a 8372A fat agnus and a 512k fastmem board in the expansion slot, it can be converted to chipmem with the hack... it is posted on here somewhere
Old 16 February 2016, 03:30   #13
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
superfrog needs 1mb chipmem, the a500+ is the only a500 with 1mb chipmem, you would need to do the chipmem hack on earlier versions to get 1mb chipmem
Superfrog doesn't need 1 MB chip mem. If it did, no-one would remember that game.
Old 16 February 2016, 04:38   #14
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Superfrog doesn't need 1 MB chip mem. If it did, no-one would remember that game.

It most certainly does... try running it in whdload without it
Old 16 February 2016, 10:15   #15
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
It most certainly does... try running it in whdload without it
I'm with idrougge on this one

Maybe with WHDLoad but not when running from floppy disk, see my post #3.
Old 16 February 2016, 18:40   #16
morbius

So theoretically, if i can run Chaos engine and Cool Spot (both are copies), then i should be able to run Superfrog and Alien breed 92 (both are cracked copies with invincibility options). If so i presume it points to the software being faulty on the latter 2. I can run Alien Breed so far but then it says that i haven't got the ram or it isn't enabled. As for Superfrog, i get past the initial screens which give in game cheat options, but when i reach the screen with the start game heading it just locks when selected and the floppy drive keeps trying to load it. At the end of the day i would just like to confirm that my hardware is functioning correctly, before i start hunting for some original 1 meg only games. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 16 February 2016, 22:50   #17
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius View Post
So theoretically, if i can run Chaos engine and Cool Spot (both are copies), then i should be able to run Superfrog and Alien breed 92 (both are cracked copies with invincibility options). If so i presume it points to the software being faulty on the latter 2. I can run Alien Breed so far but then it says that i haven't got the ram or it isn't enabled. As for Superfrog, i get past the initial screens which give in game cheat options, but when i reach the screen with the start game heading it just locks when selected and the floppy drive keeps trying to load it. At the end of the day i would just like to confirm that my hardware is functioning correctly, before i start hunting for some original 1 meg only games. Thanks everyone for your help.
Hello there morbius,

Ok, here are the .ADFs that use in WinUAE and definitely work with 512KB Chip RAM + 512KB Slow RAM:

In The Zone! you will find an archive with all of the above inside named "For morbius.zip"

To get access to The Zone! see here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26201

Afterwards all you need to do is get the .ADF files across to Amiga disks. Search EAB, there are various methods to achieve this.
Old 16 February 2016, 22:53   #18
DamienD
Global Moderator

Ooops, forgot to add the only working crack of Cool Spot done by a resident coder on EAB "StingRay"

See archive "Cool Spot (1993)(Virgin)[cr StingRay].zip" in The Zone!
AdSense AdSense