English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 29 January 2016, 00:32   #1
DamienD
Global Moderator

Roketz v1.39

Heya guys,

Thought I'd give this game a try.

In HOL it mentioned that there is a v1.39 available on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/game/2play/roketz

Took a look in TOSEC and I couldn't see .ADFs of this version, only:

... Roketz v1.0 (1994-12-08)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.0 (1994-12-08)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2).zip
... Roketz v1.0 (demo-playable) (1994-09-16)(Farm)(AGA)(PD)[Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.0 (demo-playable) (1994-09-16)(Farm)(AGA)(PD)[o][Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.31 (1995-12-04)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[h][Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.31 (1995-12-04)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[h][a][Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.31 (1995-12-04)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2)[h].zip
... Roketz v1.38 (1996-07-15)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Crest][Blitz BASIC].zip
... Roketz v1.38 (1996-07-15)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr Crest].zip
... Roketz v2.01 (demo-playable) (1995-01-02)(Farm)(AGA)(PD)[Blitz BASIC].zip

Anyway, so I followed the instructions on Aminet and created the following:

... Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2).adf
... Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2).adf

In The Zone! for anyone else who wants these
Old 29 January 2016, 04:55   #2
butfluffy

nice one. gonna download it now
Old 29 January 2016, 11:01   #3
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I`ve downloaded it, too! Thanks for that! ;-)
Old 29 January 2016, 17:19   #4
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hey guys,

One thing I noticed with the 1.39 archive on Aminet is that it's missing the intro (which is present on earlier versions)

I then tried to copy the 3 intro files from "Roketz v1.38 (1996-07-15)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Crest][Blitz BASIC].adf" to the 1.39 Disk 1 that I'd made but unfortunately there isn't enough space... and I don't have the skills to say compressing the intro files so that they fit on Disk 1 / uncompressing etc.

Anyway, I've been playing around and came up with a solution. I needed to create another disk for the Intro

So there are now 3 disks for 1.39 which are as follows:

a) Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[Blitz BASIC].adf
b) Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2).adf
c) Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Intro).adf

I've also modified the Disk 1 so that it shows the "Readme" via "ppmore":

Then it loads the Intro from DF2:

Finally the game then loads from DF0:

The configuration you use in WinUAE needs to have the following drives / disks:

... DFO = Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[Blitz BASIC].adf
... DF1 = Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2).adf
... DF2 = Roketz v1.39 (2002-05-05)(Farm)(AGA)(PAL)(SW-R)(Intro).adf

The zipped archive containing all of the above is now in The Zone!

Last edited by DamienD; 29 January 2016 at 18:25.
Old 29 January 2016, 18:56   #5
butfluffy

i was going to comment today on the first version you posted yesterday. if i try and load the track netscape it crashes and says data file load error. i figured maybe some tracks data files were located on disk 2 but there is no prompt screen to switch disks and it crashes this way even if i have disk 2 loaded in df1.
however the version you posted today seems to work fine so long as the disks are loaded in the right drives as you instructed. got me wondering why i could not get the version you posted yesterday to load netscape, a bit of an headscratcher i guess lol.
i was planning on getting one of those floppy adapters for my cd32 and fit it with gotek drive emulator but that got me thinking that a game like the 2nd version you uploaded of Rocketz v1.39 which needs to be set up using 3 drives would not work on the gotec setup because as far as i know the analogic adapter and gotek would behave like a single drive.
i guess that multi disk games which don't support disk swapping and need a multiple floppy drive setup would be out of the question for the gotek adapter setup.
is it possible then to make such games support single drive disk swapping so when this game for example looks for the intro disk in df2 it would instead ask you to swap the intro disk to df0 drive instead?

Last edited by butfluffy; 29 January 2016 at 18:59. Reason: correction
Old 29 January 2016, 19:04   #6
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by butfluffy View Post
i was going to comment today on the first version you posted yesterday. if i try and load the track netscape it crashes and says data file load error. i figured maybe some tracks data files were located on disk 2 but there is no prompt screen to switch disks and it crashes this way even if i have disk 2 loaded in df1.
Sorry about that; not sure what happened with yesterdays disk. I didn't test fully but all necessary files were on each of the required disks (as per Aminet instructions).

I can look at these 2 disks (without the Intro) again and try to fix if you like?

Quote:
however the version you posted today seems to work fine so long as the disks are loaded in the right drives as you instructed. got me wondering why i could not get the version you posted yesterday to load netscape, a bit of an headscratcher i guess lol.
Tested loading all screens / levels on this 3 disk version and also compared files with older versions. Should be all good

Quote:
i was planning on getting one of those floppy adapters for my cd32 and fit it with gotek drive emulator but that got me thinking that a game like the 2nd version you uploaded of Rocketz v1.39 which needs to be set up using 3 drives would not work on the gotec setup because as far as i know the analogic adapter and gotek would behave like a single drive.
i guess that multi disk games which don't support disk swapping and need a multiple floppy drive setup would be out of the question for the gotek adapter setup.
is it possible then to make such games support single drive disk swapping so when this game for example looks for the intro disk in df2 it would instead ask you to swap the intro disk to df0 drive instead?
I'm afraid that's beyond my skill level unfortunately...

If I had the skills I'd definitely try to get the intro onto Disk 1 so that the complete game is on 2 disks like older versions
Old 29 January 2016, 19:21   #7
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hello butfluffy

2 disk version now in The Zone that doesn't have the intro (or try to load it from a 3rd disk) so it's basically the Aminet version unmodified.

I've tested all screens / levels loading etc...

Edit: and you can also use only 1 drive with this version. At the screen saying "This version is FREEWARE" (after loading for a bit) it requests "Insert Disk 2":

Last edited by DamienD; 29 January 2016 at 19:48.
Old 29 January 2016, 20:03   #8
butfluffy

thanks mate. thats great. just wondering is it possible to create an independent bootable intro disk? that way when playing off a gotek setup the player can choose to either watch the intro or just play the game. in this case the intro would be named disk (0 of 3)(Intro)
or something.
i've seen some other retail games from the tosec set which allow you to either view the intro disk or just boot into the game disk if the player already knows the intro or can't be bothered with it and it's pretty cool
if it's not possible then no worries, i would add once again that i should start to learn how to do some of this stuff for myself. i have some games from aminet myself and i don't know how to make them into bootable games and i load them from workbench
but bootable disks are better and less hassle.

Last edited by butfluffy; 29 January 2016 at 20:04. Reason: error
Old 29 January 2016, 20:09   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks mate. thats great. just wondering is it possible to create an independent bootable intro disk? that way when playing off a gotek setup the player can choose to either watch the intro or just play the game. in this case the intro would be named disk (0 of 3)(Intro) or something.
Most definitely; that's an easy one. Give me 5 minutes

Of course this disk is standalone then and after the intro won't do anything...
Old 29 January 2016, 20:17   #10
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Most definitely; that's an easy one. Give me 5 minutes

Of course this disk is standalone then and after the intro won't do anything...
yeah i figured it would be standalone. still thanks to you the game will be playable on a 1 drive/gotek setup with a viewable intro disk for people who want to see it
thanks for your effort mate

Last edited by butfluffy; 29 January 2016 at 20:17. Reason: spelling
Old 29 January 2016, 20:49   #11
DamienD
Global Moderator

Ooops; a little longer than 5 minutes but wanted to make sure it looked decent etc...

So; I've now made the "Intro" disk bootable. It can:

a) still be used as I would in WinUAE with 3 drives enabled (see Post #4)

or

b) be used as a standalone disk. After the Intro the following message is displayed:

I've deleted / re-uploaded the 3 disk version (which contains this modified "Intro" disk) to The Zone!

Last edited by DamienD; 29 January 2016 at 20:55.
Old 29 January 2016, 20:55   #12
butfluffy

great stuff downloading it right away, thanks again for this
Old 29 January 2016, 21:19   #13
DamienD
Global Moderator

No problem at all

...let me know if there are any issues or you have any other suggestions.
Old 30 January 2016, 19:36   #14
DamienD
Global Moderator

Well today I've been trying to teach myself some new Amiga skills. The purpose was to see if I can get the intro onto Disk 1

I managed to do the following:
  • get "lzx" and the "lzx.keyfile" onto a disk.
  • compress the "Roketz" + "Roketz.info" to a file "Roketz.lzx".
  • compress the "Intro" + "Intro.info" + "Intro_01.Dat" + "Intro_02.Dat" to a file "Intro.lzx".
  • delete all of the above single files from Disk 1 and then copy "Roketz.lzx" + "Intro.lzx" across along with "lzx" + "lzx.keyfile". Everything fits
  • modify the startup-sequence so that it uncompresses "Roketz.lzx" + "Intro.lzx" into RAM and then runs them.
All works great but unfortunately after the game starts it soon runs out of memory and errors

Anyway; was worth a try and I learnt a few things
Old 30 January 2016, 19:59   #15
TjLaZer

Maybe use a tool like Imploder to compress the Intro and game executable?

edit:

Done! I imploded the game exe and copied the Intro to disk 1! In Da Zone!

Last edited by TjLaZer; 30 January 2016 at 20:15.
Old 30 January 2016, 22:05   #16
DamienD
Global Moderator

Wow; what can I say... You're an absolute legend TjLaZer

So, we now the latest Roketz v1.39 archive from Aminet on 2 disks with the Intro

Thank you sooooo much; definitely a set worthy of TOSEC inclusion

A question if I may, just for my own knowledge:

Firstly from looking at your Disk 1 I can see that the "Roketz" file is now compressed (and roughly the same size as when I used LZX to do this task).

What I don't see is any tool / utility on Disk 1 (or anything in the s/startup-sequence) to unpack this compressed "Roketz" file...

So you mentioned that you used "Imploder". After compressing files with this does the Amiga just know how to uncompress / run? Does it uncompress into RAM or?
Old 31 January 2016, 05:44   #17
butfluffy

nice one. just logged in very late after a busy day and the intro has been included with disk 1
Old 31 January 2016, 09:59   #18
TjLaZer

Quote:
Wow; what can I say... You're an absolute legend TjLaZer

So, we now the latest Roketz v1.39 archive from Aminet on 2 disks with the Intro

Thank you sooooo much; definitely a set worthy of TOSEC inclusion

A question if I may, just for my own knowledge:

Firstly from looking at your Disk 1 I can see that the "Roketz" file is now compressed (and roughly the same size as when I used LZX to do this task).

What I don't see is any tool / utility on Disk 1 (or anything in the s/startup-sequence) to unpack this compressed "Roketz" file...

So you mentioned that you used "Imploder". After compressing files with this does the Amiga just know how to uncompress / run? Does it uncompress into RAM or?
Yes Imploder has the option to compress with no extra library, or you can use explode.library which must be in Libs: I just did it without that option. So it's self contained. You can get Imploder on Aminet.
Old 31 January 2016, 11:56   #19
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Yes Imploder has the option to compress with no extra library, or you can use explode.library which must be in Libs: I just did it without that option. So it's self contained. You can get Imploder on Aminet.
Thank you for the information TjLaZer and again for creating this set

Quote:
nice one. just logged in very late after a busy day and the intro has been included with disk 1
...and all can be played from just one drive if required

Last edited by DamienD; 31 January 2016 at 12:07.
Old 31 January 2016, 18:53   #20
butfluffy

Quote:
Thank you for the information TjLaZer and again for creating this set

...and all can be played from just one drive if required
yeah i tested it with 1 drive and everything worked well
good to know if i ever purchase the analogic drive and gotec setup.