English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 January 2016, 21:07   #1
ccapublic

WinUAE, AOS 4.1, swap and memory demanding apps

Hi All,

Emulating Cyberstorm PPC limits actual usable memory to 128MB. One can add Z3 fast that AFAIK shall be used by AOS41 as swap space. However, especially on 32-bit machines, not that much Z3 fast can be added.

Question is : does adding a swap partition make sense, ie even if slow, will it make it possible to run RAM demanding apps like OWB without actually "exhausting" host machine address space (don't know if it's correct wording) ?

Thanks !

Cyril
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 January 2016, 21:23   #2
Aegis
Gentleman

Send a message via Skype™ to Aegis
Hi Cyril,

tbh, the Z3 swap doesn't really do much - it certainly doesn't allow you to run stuff that won't fit into the CSPPC RAM. I had it set quite high initially but I've dropped it down to 128MB 'cause it actually *lowers* your free RAM.

I tried a swap partition too but again, it doesn't seem to do much. With some tweaking though you can free up quite a bit of RAM - I've got around 90MB free now - enough to use OWB comfortably (not Odyssey though - I can run it but it takes up 64MB just for itself).
Old 26 January 2016, 22:16   #3
ccapublic

That s*cks... Did you try to emulate blizzard ppc forcing qemu to emulate a ppc604 ? I remember it was discussed in some thread and I think Toni said "don't do this" but I don't remember why nor the end of the story...

Unless hyperion believes they can make a lot of money selling os41 to the few persons ready to spend hundreds of euros (not to say thousands) in an obsolete ppc soc motherboard, they shall really unlock this stupid limit, or, even better, more or less officially support winuae...

Last edited by ccapublic; 26 January 2016 at 22:21.
Old 27 January 2016, 12:16   #4
Aegis
Gentleman

Yeah, I gave BPPC a try but changing the model to 604e didn't speed up the emulation any - Blizzard seems pretty unusable for now.

When 3.3.0 is nearing release I'll write up and optimization guide since I've been tinkering to squeeze every last drop of RAM out of the CSPPC - in a bare-bones setup you can have 100MB free I think which you can do quite a bit with.

If you want Hyperion to update AOS4 for Z3 support, please join their forums and add your voice to the discussion although do note the even with a ton of RAM, OS4 Classic is always going to be a second-class citizen in Hyperion's world 'cause the PPC platform is so fragmented (multiple hardware targets and differing capabilities).
Old 27 January 2016, 14:29   #5
ccapublic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
If you want Hyperion to update AOS4 for Z3 support, please join their forums and add your voice to the discussion although do note the even with a ton of RAM, OS4 Classic is always going to be a second-class citizen in Hyperion's world 'cause the PPC platform is so fragmented (multiple hardware targets and differing capabilities).
To be honest I see os4 as a weird creature which is no more amiga still nothing comparable to modern oses. So I would be happy to play (and pay) if it was affordable and reasonably usable. The only way today to match both criterias is emulation + hyperion supporting it. But I will for sure not beg : it's up to them to decide where their business is, and I don't understand how they can expect business in the dying ppc world (even emulation may only be a little fresh air the time for them to move to something different). Well let's face the evidence : amigaos 4 is becoming athing of the past (not to say it already is).

Note : why the hell didn't they release a ps3 or xbox360 version of it ?????
Old 27 January 2016, 14:42   #6
Aegis
Gentleman

I see OS4 as being a part of the Amiga in as much that it's an updated version of the classic OS (based on the original source) that still runs on the original hardware (albeit a very niche subset of the original hardware).

I've supported it for the same reasons I support Cloanto - I like having companies around that are keeping the Amiga alive in their own way - and for the €29.95 I paid I've gotten a lot of enjoyment tinkering with the OS, testing WinUAE and playing with various PPC apps that previously I was unable to try (I even purchased the PPC port of PPaint because I enjoy using it and I wanted to contribute something to A-Eon).

If AmigaOS 4.1 running on WinUAE isn't worth 30 euros to you now then chances are it never will be - AmigaOS doesn't have any kind of future - Hyperion are simply too small and make too little from the product to do anything except modest, incremental updates and fixes so it runs on the latest AmigaOne.
Old 27 January 2016, 15:48   #7
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapublic View Post
Note : why the hell didn't they release a ps3 or xbox360 version of it ?????
360 wouldn't have made much sense since there wasn't an official way of installing other OSes on it and making a product which can only be installed illegally (in some countries) isn't good business decision making.

PS3 could've been feasible in the "Other OS" days, before Sony removed that feature. But I clearly remember that the few Linux OSes that were ported to it were horribly slow because of the extremely restrictive hypervisor Sony put on some functions (GPU calls?), so yet again, not a good decision.

If there's something you can fault Hyperion of, is not switching to ARM/x86
Old 27 January 2016, 15:55   #8
ccapublic

Quote:
If AmigaOS 4.1 running on WinUAE isn't worth 30 euros to you now then chances are it never will be
No doubt this is what you think, still you are wrong. For now they voluntarily prevent os4 from running in an acceptable manner under emulation. This is their right but I don't support this. Would it be 5€ or 100€ it would make no difference to me.

Quote:
Hyperion are simply too small and make too little from the product to do anything except modest, incremental updates and fixes.
You mean like having already z3 done and voluntarily not releasing it ? Come on ! This is a strategy, full stop. Again it's up to them, but so far it looks like I - as an emulation user - am not part of it. Let it be. Any money will go first to projects like winuae or amikit (for example).
Old 27 January 2016, 15:59   #9
ccapublic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
If there's something you can fault Hyperion of, is not switching to ARM/x86
+1. I hope there is a legal reason behind this apparent lack of vision...
Old 27 January 2016, 17:34   #10
kas1e

Swap on os4 never works as expected, and still didn't. Also it have unfixed bugs still. All in all, it should't be called "swap" at all, as it didn't works as we know it on windows (like if we have no real memory, swap are file on hdd from which we will make our memory), it works in some other ways (can't remember for now) , but in other words, it just make no sense and should't be called as "swap" at all and it can't be used for "we have 128mb only, what is we will enabled swap, will it give us more", sadly.
AdSense AdSense