English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 January 2016, 10:00   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Current state of MiST and Amiga cores?

Been asked this a lot by friends, who'd like to have an "Amiga" as an easy piece of hw and not Winuae etc stuff. MiST is cheap enough, but could someone shed some light on how the compatibility etc is currently? Basically all the gyus need is a working A500 core, no AGA required. Of course a working C64 core is also a big plus
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 January 2016, 11:15   #2
Locutus

If you want a C64 core maybe the other option would be the other way around :-)

The MiST's C64 core isn't really that good.

The Chameleon has a Minimig core available for it which is pretty good for A500/ECS level in addition it has the best C64 core around.

Chameleon runs in standalone mode, so consider if thats a better option.
Old 05 January 2016, 12:49   #3
cosmiq

I'm using my mist frequently (also only for A500 OCS / ECS) and must say that since the new cores from mr. Chaos, everything is quite stable and there's not much that doesn't run on the Mist. I'm also keeping a compatibility list for myself which I could share if interested.
Old 05 January 2016, 14:13   #4
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
I'm using my mist frequently (also only for A500 OCS / ECS) and must say that since the new cores from mr. Chaos, everything is quite stable and there's not much that doesn't run on the Mist. I'm also keeping a compatibility list for myself which I could share if interested.
Ok, thanks for the info. A compatibility list would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
If you want a C64 core maybe the other option would be the other way around :-)

The MiST's C64 core isn't really that good.

The Chameleon has a Minimig core available for it which is pretty good for A500/ECS level in addition it has the best C64 core around.

Chameleon runs in standalone mode, so consider if thats a better option.
Ok, didn't realise that

Last edited by TCD; 07 January 2016 at 19:17. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:22   #5
cosmiq

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=1&single=true

There's also a french guy who keeps another list. This is my personal game db of stuff that I had on disk back in the days. If you need to know if something works in particular just let me know so I can test it for you.
Old 05 January 2016, 16:46   #6
1time
Amiga Lover

Im running Mist v1.3 with AGA core 1.1 from Chaos.

At the moment im running WHDLoad 1.82 from my ClassicWB Full v.28 at 7.4 MiPS.

Most stuff is working. (For games and applications atleast)

Version 1.2 of the core is being developed right now.

http://somuch.guru/minimig/minimig-mist/

FBlit and CyberBugFix is not working as they should and the developers are aware of that.

Here you have all the available cores https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-b...e/master/cores

Last edited by 1time; 05 January 2016 at 16:51.
Old 06 January 2016, 10:44   #7
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=1&single=true

There's also a french guy who keeps another list. This is my personal game db of stuff that I had on disk back in the days. If you need to know if something works in particular just let me know so I can test it for you.
Awesome list Not bad indeed! Almost everything *I* would play is there working

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Im running Mist v1.3 with AGA core 1.1 from Chaos.

At the moment im running WHDLoad 1.82 from my ClassicWB Full v.28 at 7.4 MiPS.

Most stuff is working. (For games and applications atleast)

Version 1.2 of the core is being developed right now.

FBlit and CyberBugFix is not working as they should and the developers are aware of that.

Here you have all the available cores https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-b...e/master/cores
Impressive, I have to say! So, I guess I can recommend MiST to my buddies alfterall

Last edited by TCD; 07 January 2016 at 19:17. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 06 January 2016, 16:10   #8
1time
Amiga Lover

You can absolutely recommend it. Even if the Core is not 100%, you can almost play all the games ever made for any Amiga.

If you ask me, i am surprised that MiST isn't more popular.

This is one of the most underestimated FPGA products out their! (One of the few that actually made it to the market.)

And with a core in this stage you can have a lot of fun with it and it is SUPER easy to get started.

Place 4 files in the root of a SD card and start MiST.
Old 06 January 2016, 17:55   #9
Total Eclipse

I second the recommendation. I've mainly used the Amiga and Atari ST cores, but occasionally play with the C64, Spectrum and A8 cores as well.

The Amiga core is probably the most "mature", and really does run almost any game you throw at it. Sometimes you need to use specific settings (changing the amount of RAM or the kickstart ROM) to run games from .adf, as some of the .adf images are unpatched and expect a certain machine. Set up a HDD image and use WHDLoad and you don't even need to concern yourself with that, though the Amiga core does allow you to set up to 5 configurations and swap between them, so you can have a 1.3 A500, a 2.04 A500+, a stock A1200, a A1200 with fast mem etc.

The Atari ST core is fairly accurate for most games and applications, though won't run many demo's 100% as some effects relied on completely accurate timings.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the 8 bit cores. I never had a C64 so haven't used that core much other than out of curiosity. Seems okay, but Locutus has commented that it's not particularly good. I've not used it enough to comment either way. The Spectrum core has recently been overhauled and is meant to be cycle accurate now. the Atari 8-bit core has been pleasantly impressive so far, but again, I've not used it much.

I can't comment on the other cores, as most will only output a VGA signal. Neither of my LCD TV's will accept a 50Hz input on VGA, so I use a SCART cable and disable the scan doubler via the Mist's .ini file. Not all cores support this, but fortunately the cores that I want to use do.
Old 07 January 2016, 14:09   #10
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post

I can't comment on the other cores, as most will only output a VGA signal. Neither of my LCD TV's will accept a 50Hz input on VGA, so I use a SCART cable and disable the scan doubler via the Mist's .ini file. Not all cores support this, but fortunately the cores that I want to use do.
Hmm, this might actually be a challenge... What does the MiST actually output? Standard vga as 640 x 480@60Hz or only @50Hz?

If it's only 50Hz -> basically all computer lcd/led/whatever do not work at all
Old 07 January 2016, 14:37   #11
1time
Amiga Lover

I dont really know what it supports and not. I am using it with a not so cheap up-scaler to get hdmi like this "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Framemeister...-/181327242059" to my Samsung 65".

If you read about the board itself you can find:

# VGA screens #

The video timing on the VGA output depends on the core being used (Atari ST / Amiga / whatever) and the compatibility varies from core to core and from screen to screen.

I have tried VGA direct to one of my old Samsung SyncMaster 711MP LCD and it works perfectly.

Last edited by 1time; 07 January 2016 at 14:55.
Old 07 January 2016, 15:56   #12
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
I dont really know what it supports and not. I am using it with a not so cheap up-scaler to get hdmi like this "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Framemeister...-/181327242059" to my Samsung 65".

If you read about the board itself you can find:

# VGA screens #

The video timing on the VGA output depends on the core being used (Atari ST / Amiga / whatever) and the compatibility varies from core to core and from screen to screen.

I have tried VGA direct to one of my old Samsung SyncMaster 711MP LCD and it works perfectly.
Ok, thanks for the info I have a Framemeister, but I was just thinking my buddies... It really should be plu-and-play for them. But ok, at least it's very close to that I presume that the Amiga core is one of the vga-friendly ones?
Old 07 January 2016, 15:58   #13
chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Hmm, this might actually be a challenge... What does the MiST actually output? Standard vga as 640 x 480@60Hz or only @50Hz?

If it's only 50Hz -> basically all computer lcd/led/whatever do not work at all
MiST, at least in the case of the minimig core, will output a PAL @ 50Hz or NTSC @ 60Hz, both in either 15kHz or scandoubled to 30kHz. This will be usually detected as a 720x576p (PAL 50Hz) or 640x480p (NTSC 60Hz) mode. There is no framerate conversion, and probably never will be.

Actually, you'd be surprised how many monitors/TVs actually support 50Hz/30kHz on the VGA input. Not all of course, so if you want to be sure your monitor will work, a short test is needed, or google for your manufacturer/model, there might be someone with the same one.

Samsungs usually work, Dells too (some even support 15kHz mode!), LG monitor TVs work great, I have bad experiences with HP (semi-pro) monitors.

EDIT: fixed explanation

Last edited by chaos; 07 January 2016 at 16:08.
Old 07 January 2016, 15:59   #14
Total Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Hmm, this might actually be a challenge... What does the MiST actually output? Standard vga as 640 x 480@60Hz or only @50Hz?(
By default, it will output a VGA progressive signal at whatever frequency the normal computer would (so an NTSC Amiga or Atari ST would do 60Hz, PAL would be 50Hz). My TV's won't accept a 50Hz VGA signal, however some of the cores can be told to disable the scan doubler, and instead output a typical RGB SCART signal. You need to buy or make the appropriate cable, but it works very well.

I connect my Mist via SCART and can use all the cores I mentioned in my previous post. There are some that I'd still be interested in trying, but at the moment can't because the scan doubler can't be disabled (The Amstrad core, for one).

Last edited by Total Eclipse; 07 January 2016 at 16:00. Reason: removed 480p reference
Old 08 January 2016, 11:36   #15
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
MiST, at least in the case of the minimig core, will output a PAL @ 50Hz or NTSC @ 60Hz, both in either 15kHz or scandoubled to 30kHz. This will be usually detected as a 720x576p (PAL 50Hz) or 640x480p (NTSC 60Hz) mode. There is no framerate conversion, and probably never will be.

Actually, you'd be surprised how many monitors/TVs actually support 50Hz/30kHz on the VGA input. Not all of course, so if you want to be sure your monitor will work, a short test is needed, or google for your manufacturer/model, there might be someone with the same one.

Samsungs usually work, Dells too (some even support 15kHz mode!), LG monitor TVs work great, I have bad experiences with HP (semi-pro) monitors.

EDIT: fixed explanation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
By default, it will output a VGA progressive signal at whatever frequency the normal computer would (so an NTSC Amiga or Atari ST would do 60Hz, PAL would be 50Hz). My TV's won't accept a 50Hz VGA signal, however some of the cores can be told to disable the scan doubler, and instead output a typical RGB SCART signal. You need to buy or make the appropriate cable, but it works very well.

I connect my Mist via SCART and can use all the cores I mentioned in my previous post. There are some that I'd still be interested in trying, but at the moment can't because the scan doubler can't be disabled (The Amstrad core, for one).
Ok, thanks again for the info I guess, MiST woulkd make one helluva retrogaming system.
Old 08 January 2016, 13:17   #16
cosmiq

I agree - I also still wonder why it isn't more popular.
You can even go on the internet with it (using a raspberry pi via serial PPP) - it's slow but it works There's a few guys who figured it out how to do it on minimig.net.
Old 24 January 2016, 11:43   #17
1time
Amiga Lover

A new Beta (20160123) of the MiST MiniMig-AGA from Chaos and Till can be downloaded here: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-b...es/minimig-aga

Download it. Put it on you SD-card and change the name to core.rbf.
Old 21 February 2016, 23:18   #18
chaos

A new release of minimig-AGA for MiST is available, grab it here:

Old 22 February 2016, 17:26   #19
1time
Amiga Lover

Great work!
AdSense AdSense