English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 January 2003, 06:03   #1
harry

Angry Marble Madnes dies

I just installed WinUAE 0.88.21 R4 and everything seems to work just fine with Kickstart/WB 3.1

However, when I try to run Marble Madness under this configuration I get a Guru message:

Error: 8000 0006
Task: 1002 6830

Probably some of my configuration settings are not suited for this game. E.g. Arkanoid plyas just fine.

So I tried to install kickstart/WB 1.3 to see whether I could get Marble Madness to run under that OS config. Here I die even sooner, i.e. the Guru shows up during installation of WB 1.3 with 4.0000A7C0

Any help is very much appreciated.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 January 2003, 11:35   #2
Feltzkrone

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood your text. I have read 1.3 where 3.1 appears. New suggestion: Do a virus scan, perhaps both disks are infected if even a ROM change does not make them work.

Both (WB1.3 and Marble Madness) use AmigaDOS routines. As everybody knows these are integrated in Kickstart 1.3. Perhaps you have a bad Kickstart ROM?

Marble Madness runs fine with my config, which uses namely:

- ROM: kickstart 1.3
- RAM: 1 Meg chipmem only (no slow, no fast)
- CPU: 68K CPU, more compatible, a500 speed
- Misc: only "show GUI on startup" checked
- Chip: full ECS, fast copper, full collision level
- SND: 100% accurate

EDIT: WHEN exactly are the errors appearing?
Old 06 January 2003, 14:12   #3
oldpx

This is the description of your problem:

8OOOOOO6 Type: Deadend
Subsystem: CPU
General: General fault
Specified: Check instruction error
ShowGuru: CHK testet ein Register gegen Grenzen des Zahl-
enbereichs. Dieser Fehler tritt auf, wenn die
zulässigen Grenzen überschritten wurden. (CHK tests a register approximately. Borders of the number range. This error arises, if the permissible borders were exceeded. )
LastGURU: Check instruction

It's a CPU problem, follow feltzkrone's advice and try 68000 cpu with more compatible option selected.

Old 06 January 2003, 18:25   #4
harry

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately I still have not been able to run Marble Madness despite trying a zilllion of combinations. Here is where I am at:

1. Kickstart/WB 3.1

No matter what CPU/memory combination I run I always get the Guru, although the error codes change. With the 68000 I get error 8000 0004 with task 00036078. In addition I get noise while Marble Madness tries to load, whereas with other settings the PC remains quiet while loading.

The Guru appears after the Marble Madness folder is opened and Marble Madness icon is opened. It takes a while befor the Guru appears.

2. Kickstart/WB 1.3

I have been able to load 1.3 successfully, but the result with Marble Madness is similar, i.e. it fails but with different error codes.

First a Sys Request - Software error - Task held window pops up, and than the Guru appears with 00000003.00020E90, but also with 00000003.0001DE00

Again, this happens after opening the Marble Madness icon.

3. A Marble Madness unrelated question

When loading Kick/WB 1.3 I do not get an icon for dh0 and thus cannot format dh0 and install 1.3 on the HD although I created a Workbench1.3 HD in the configuration similar to the Workbench3.1 HD in my 3.1 set-up.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 06 January 2003, 18:40   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Another question: WHICH Marble Madness version are you using? The *.ipf from CAPS or one of the TOSEC dumps, for example?
Old 06 January 2003, 18:52   #6
harry

no idea, it's an adf file.

Is there a way to have the PC read my original Marble Madness floppy directly w/o any additional hardware? My floppy drive is a Imation SuperDisk.

Old 06 January 2003, 22:51   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

unfortunately this doesn't work (yet). Check your PM.
Old 07 January 2003, 00:28   #8
LordBug

Have you tried just booting off the Marble Madness disk yet? It sounds like you haven't, but I could be mis-reading

I tried the TOSEC version, "Marble Madness (1986) (EOA)" with the following configs:

68000, A500 speed, more compatible
512k chip (ONLY)
kick 1.2
OCS
Full collision
100% sound

and

68000, A500 speed, more compatible
1MB chip
kick 1.3
Full ECS
Full collision
100% sound

I managed to beat the first 3 levels with both configs. No Workbench, no hardfiles. Just booting off the floppy (which boots to Workbench 1.2). Sounds like your ADF might be corrupt.

Also, the only way for a PC to actually read an Amiga formatted disk is if you install a Catweasel floppy controller (prefer MK3, supported by WinUAE 0.8.22R4).
Old 07 January 2003, 01:15   #9
harry

Tried all the other settings including booting directly from Marble Madness, and including another adf file. All delivered the same result. The HD version doesn't work either.

This all leads me to believe that something else is wrong, e.g. the newest UAE version I am using. Right now I am fed up after all the fruitless effort I put in. Once I am hungry again I'll try some other versions and see whether that makes a difference

By the way, I am running this under XP.

Old 07 January 2003, 03:27   #10
LordBug

My testing was done with WinUAE 0.8.22R4 (newest) in Win2k. I can test under 0.8.22R1,2,3 or even 0.8.21R4 if you want. I keep back versions around, just in case.

Suggestion - re-download WinUAE. Find a different 1.2/1.3 Kick (maybe try Cloanto ). If Marble Madness STILL refuses to work, then I have no clue (actually I do, but it's mine and you can't have it).
Old 07 January 2003, 03:33   #11
harry

Lets see.
I tried 1.2, 1.3, and 3.1, different amf files, and even a HD version. A whole host of different configuartions for chip, CPU, etc. None of them worked, all of them failed although with different error codes.

The only thing in common: UAE version and XP.

Old 07 January 2003, 21:13   #12
harry

Happy

I started from scratch and finally I was successful

I obviously was wrong with blaming the problems on the WinUAE version I was using

Building from ground up I found out that basically all settings work with one exception (see later) if the CPU setting is 68020 or less.

68020+FPU does not work at all
68040 does not work only works partially, e.g. sound is screwed up

Kickstart 1.3 works if Marble Madness is booted from floppy, even if booted first into WB1.3.

However, strangely enough this setup does not work if a "hardfile" is added to the configuration.

I can also run Marble Madness from a special HD version with Kickstart/WB 3.1 as long as the CPU is set to 68020 or less.

I have one issue left. Using the default Game and I/O port configuration the PC Mouse is assigned to Amiga Mouse Port 0, and Amiga Mouse Port 1 has the PC Joystick 0. This config is necessary to maneuver with the mouse up to selecting "Mouse" and "Go" in Marble Madness. However, to be able to maneuver the marble in the game I have to hit F12 and swap Amiga Port 0 with Port 1 so the PC mouse is assigned to Port 1.

Is there an easier solution available?

Old 08 January 2003, 01:25   #13
LordBug

Use a PC joystick or change port 1 to one of the keyboard setups. It would be nice to have Port 0 and 1 be the same thing, but I don't know if that could work (Toni?).

After seeing what the problem was, I have to ask: How long have you been playing Amiga games? I hate to sound like an asshole (but I'm probably going to), but I figured everyone knew to use a stock A500 config first when trying to play any Amiga game. You made your problem worse by trying to use an 020 and 040 processor.

Reading back through, no one straight up suggested a config to use, so I'll do it now:

68000, match A500 speed, more compatible
Kickstart 1.3
1MB chip RAM NO FAST, NO Z3, NO SLOW, NO RTG
640x512 (Doubled 320x256) screen mode
NO HARDFILES
1 (ONE) floppy drive
Full ECS chipset
Full Collision detection
100% Sound, 22k Hz, Stereo, buffer size 3 (works for me)

That config will run most of the games and demos you throw at it (obvious exception - AGA stuff). There's very few OCS/ECS games that won't run with this setup. Try this config first, then come here if it doesn't work (not trying to sound like an ass, honest).
Old 08 January 2003, 02:12   #14
harry

LordBug,

I appreciate all your help, but you are obviously not always right

How long have I been playing Amiga games? Well, that depends.
I have one of the 1st Amiga 1000 from 1985 sitting in my basement and an Amiga 2000 sitting right next to it. Both are boxed and have been untouched for more than 10 years for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

Then I lost touch with the Amiga scene, particularly after Amiga went out of business.

I am not a big computer game player, but some stuff tickeled my fancy when the Amiga was new and way superior to anything else on the market: Arkanoid and Marble Madness. After I buried the Amigas I forgot about these games too until just recently. It was then that I realized that nothing comparable existed in the PC world. Yes, there are Arkanoid clones, but somehow they seemed inferior. And I have not come across a Marble Madness clone in the PC world, which is unfortunate, really.

That's when I started to investigate the world of emulators and was really surprised to find what I was looking for. That was two days ago.

So, my vast Amiga experience was with the 2000, and that many many moons ago. Emulators are different beasts than the actual hardware. I followed the excellent instructions on the Jambo! site. Unfortunately, these instructions deal with a much more complicated setup than early games would need or tolerate. That's wher I got stuck, and that's why I was looking for help. Something forums as this are great for.

Sorry to say, but all the advise I received, including yours, left some important information to the imagination. That's why I struggeled and why it took me much more time than expected.
The settings alone do not cut it, and at least one important setting was never mentioned. The latter caused all the trouble actually because I had tried all the other stuff you and others mentioned to no avail.

Now I am running Marble Madness with a 68020 setting, with AGA and all the other fancy RAM, ROM and Sound settings w/o a problem. Obviously a minimalistic system was not the key, the solution was elsewhere!

So you see, even a newbie in the Amiga emulator scene can teach something, at least to the ones that are willing to listen.

By the way, I don't want to sound like an ass either, honest

Old 08 January 2003, 09:25   #15
fiath

Hi Harry,

You may like to note, that the cracked version of games sometimes do not work at all anyway, or with bugs the originals did not have. Maybe you knew this, but if not there you go.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:34   #16
turk182

Not trying to be funny , but the games you do mention have you tried to play them in M.A.M.E instead (available for your PC) ?, Im sure nothing 'really' beats the original Arcade machine does it ?
..ducks for cover
Old 08 January 2003, 13:30   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

You can absolutely drop AGA chipset here.
That's simply not reasonable for a game from 1986.
Old 08 January 2003, 16:36   #18
harry

Andreas, you are absolutely correct, AGA is not necessary for such an old game.

The point I wanted to make, WinUAE and some games are better than expected and should get credit.

I.e., why change your configuration to "minimal" settings all the time if the software runs under the "best" configuration setting anyway?

One of the big issues in the conputer world always has been backwards compatibility. A lot of "unnecessary" code is carried by current OSs just to accomplish that.

Old 08 January 2003, 17:54   #19
Interceptor

a good reason to chose minimal and not best settings is to save CPU time on emulating much more complex graphics hardware 50 times a second, when the bog standard one will do.

why buy a horse to collect your newspaper from the front door when a small dog will suffice?

perhaps only to show off your horse

truth is, your best bet, not only for this game, for any game, is emulate the machine it's targetted for.

there is no reason to play marble madness on an a1200 config. a basic a500 config, which includes a 68000 not 68020, would have worked fine. and that's the advice you'll get around here all round.

what you say about backward compatibility isnt the case really, certainly not back in that day, otherwise the 68020 would be 100% compatible, as would the aga chipset.

the amiga world was much different that the current pc one.

trying to be clever is going to cost you more time and greif, and make it more difficult for people to help you out.

that's my tip. hope it helps
Old 08 January 2003, 23:03   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor
a good reason to chose minimal and not best settings is to save CPU time on emulating much more complex graphics hardware 50 times a second, when the bog standard one will do.
You got the point!
AGA games torturing the gfx chips like Banshee even demand all of my Athlon Thunderbird. And with that kind of games, I even have to switch frame-skip ratio to 1/2 ('Every second frame') in Display settings because sound is too choppy!

Thus, it does NOT make sense to use an AGA/68020 or AGA/68040 configuration if you want to play a game written for OCS.
You just risk sound chops because of turning WinUAE into a major CPU hog, playing an old game written for an A500 machine!
I don't think that's worth the trouble - UNLESS it's necessary (-> Banshee).
AdSense AdSense