English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 January 2016, 20:52   #61
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't think Shadow Warriors is crap, but it's not muce beyond mediocre either. It shines on Amiga, frankly, only because there's not much better... but the game is too slow, it lacks sound effects and the level design is nothing stellar.

It's not a bad game, it's just not really good either. The same can be said about the arcade game though.

The problem is that the average-y games got good ports (Shadow Warriors and Golden Axe) while better games got some really horrendous ports (Final Fight, Dynasty Wars)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 January 2016, 10:14   #62
vulture

Try NTSC for Shadow Warriors, the extra 5fps make it more enjoyable.
Old 21 January 2016, 14:49   #63
jamielemon
Zone Friend

I am not sure Final Fight was ever a great game to begin with. Playing it on MAME these days it seems very shallow and repetitive. There are far too many identical enemies. And the fighting system has no depth - later Capcom scrollers like Aliens v Predator had a lot more.
Double Dragon will always be the gold standard for scrolling beat 'm' ups to me. The original and never bettered! I think this is because it was developed before a lot of the scrolling fighting game "tropes" set in (i.e wave after wave of identical enemies, combos which you execute just by pressing the same attack button repeatedly).
Double Dragon (and to some extent Golden Axe) were built on a more old-school, twitch-based mechanic
Old 21 January 2016, 19:02   #64
JudasEZT

I agree.. Final Fight coin op wad an step forward in what a potence and graphics. Capcom showed what their engeeniers had came with. But gameplay.. Well the game is nearly in autopilot mode for designers and for players.
well it was an advancement of what was going to come.. C
aptain Commando is my favourite Beat'em up from Capcom.
Old 31 January 2016, 00:30   #65
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Tried Doman... found it to be kinda... crap. Again, the engine could handle proper beat'em up gameplay, but a lot of thing are done just plain wrongly.. and hold button and keep tapping a direction to "combo" enemies is just too weird.
Old 31 January 2016, 00:45   #66
s2325
Zone Friend

Doman should be slightly better without loading slowdowns and with something faster than 68000. After years I still don't like this game.
Old 03 March 2016, 05:00   #67
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I played Franko those days.

It's....... something.
The game is far from being good, and the graphics are laughable, they are so bad they are actaully good.

The gameplay leaves a lot to be desired though... yet its still nearly fun to play. If the levels didn't drag for SOOOO long, and there was some variety on enemies AI, this could had been fun.

The bonus game after level 1 was really hilarious too. But I couldn't keep playing through level 2, was waaay to bored at that point to keep going.
AdSense AdSense