English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 December 2015, 23:42   #1
Justice

System Requirements for WinUAE?

Hi, I'm trying to install WinUAE/WHDLoad/Classic WB on my laptop, but it's crashing a lot.

This is the system I'm running:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 1.67 GHz
1 Gb of RAM
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (onboard gfx)
Windows 7

I've managed to install Workbench 3.1 on an Amiga 1200 emulation (using the guides on this site), but it keeps crashing after a bit.

Are there some settings I could change in WinUAE to put less strain on system resources?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 December 2015, 00:02   #2
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Hi, I'm trying to install WinUAE/WHDLoad/Classic WB on my laptop, but it's crashing a lot.

This is the system I'm running:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 1.67 GHz
1 Gb of RAM
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (onboard gfx)
Windows 7

I've managed to install Workbench 3.1 on an Amiga 1200 emulation (using the guides on this site), but it keeps crashing after a bit.

Are there some settings I could change in WinUAE to put less strain on system resources?
Your specs should be enough I think. What happens exactly? Is it winuae itself that is crashing or the emulation?
Old 19 December 2015, 00:27   #3
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Your specs should be enough I think. What happens exactly? Is it winuae itself that is crashing or the emulation?
My computer is crashing (freezing up) due to the resource requirements of running WinUAE.

I'm wondering what the minimum settings I can run it on are, while still being able to run Workbench 3.1 and install WHDLoad and/or Classic WB.

The guides I've seen are for much older versions, so I've had to guess some chip/chipset/ram settings.
Old 19 December 2015, 00:32   #4
roomeo

Quote:
My computer is crashing (freezing up) due to the resource requirements of running WinUAE.

I'm wondering what the minimum settings I can run it on are, while still being able to run Workbench 3.1 and install WHDLoad and/or Classic WB.

The guides I've seen are for much older versions, so I've had to guess some chip/chipset/ram settings.
The minimum would be an a500. There is preconfigured settings for this in winuae. A drop-down menu somewhere in settings to choose different Amiga configurations.
Old 19 December 2015, 00:36   #5
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
The minimum would be an a500. There is preconfigured settings for this in winuae. A drop-down menu somewhere in settings to choose different Amiga configurations.
Oh, I thought I needed to emulate an Amiga 1200 in order to install Workbench 3.1, which I think is required for WHDLoad.

Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with this.
Old 19 December 2015, 00:48   #6
roomeo

Quote:
Oh, I thought I needed to emulate an Amiga 1200 in order to install Workbench 3.1, which I think is required for WHDLoad.

Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with this.
Whdload works on all amigas with minimum kickstart version 2.0 (workbench 2.0). I think most whdload games require some fastmem also, so add that in your settings.

Workbench3.1 would run on all amigas, but you would need kickstart 3.1 roms for that particular machine you want to emulate.
Old 19 December 2015, 01:11   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

To run games WHDLoad also just an OS below 3.1, But if you have to run with the WHDLoad also AGA Games, you must configure at least one A1200 with 2 MB of Fast RAM. Initially if you are not expert created a one of your standard configuration A1200 starting from the default in QuickStart (A1200 + 4MB Fast) add your HD and then save it. After starting from this configuration with basic system WB3.1, you can improve by creating a system GFX and maybe run games WHDLoad with [ Show youtube player ].

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 December 2015 at 01:21.
Old 19 December 2015, 02:31   #8
Leffmann

Quote:

I'm using an AMD A10, and the latest WinUAE reaches a max of 13% CPU and 113M RAM when emulating an A1200 with fastmem, which is enough to play all WHDLoad games.

I think your laptop should be able to handle that as well. Are all drivers etc. up to date?
Old 19 December 2015, 05:41   #9
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I'm using an AMD A10, and the latest WinUAE reaches a max of 13% CPU and 113M RAM when emulating an A1200 with fastmem, which is enough to play all WHDLoad games.

I think your laptop should be able to handle that as well. Are all drivers etc. up to date?
The laptop I'm using is old, so that may have something to do with it.

For example, I was just attempting to install ClassicWB UAE and both times when I loaded the 'run me first then delete' configuration and launched it (as per installation instructions), my laptop crashed within seconds of launching.
Old 19 December 2015, 05:58   #10
ptyerman

Sounds like your laptop has underlying problems somewhere. Does it only crash with WinUAE, or does other stuff crash too?
If it's just WinUAE that crashes it, download a earlier version and try that.
Old 19 December 2015, 06:41   #11
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Sounds like your laptop has underlying problems somewhere. Does it only crash with WinUAE, or does other stuff crash too?
If it's just WinUAE that crashes it, download a earlier version and try that.
Other stuff crashes it too, but only when I put a lot of strain on the system resources.

For example having multiple tabs open with YouTube videos loaded.
Old 19 December 2015, 10:55   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Other stuff crashes it too, but only when I put a lot of strain on the system resources.

I would pause on winuae for a second, and ensure all your drivers are up to date.
Old 19 December 2015, 11:02   #13
ptyerman

1 GB of ram is a very limiting factor too. Even Windows XP expects more than 1GB of ram after service pack 3. Make sure as many background processes as possible are stopped and kill anything running in the background.
If at all possible, put 2GB of memory in there at least. It will transform your machine.
Old 19 December 2015, 11:12   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hardware fault most likely, overheating, bad memory or similar. Lack of memory won't crash whole system at least unless it is caused by buggy driver.

If it is caused by overheating: you may be able to work around it by switching off fastest possible CPU mode. But only real fix is to fix the hardware. At least check that air vents are not filled with dust. Sometimes it is impossible see from outside, unscrew the keyboard and check inside. Run memtest86.
Old 19 December 2015, 11:36   #15
DualC

Can only agree the thing Toni is saying, .. i belive it's hardware related, .. and 1 Gb in a Windows 7 machine sounds like trouble .
Old 19 December 2015, 11:43   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
This shows that you have a problem on your PC, In addition to checking hardware with the elimination of dust on the fans, i would also control the system, you may have a conflict of codecs I have some infection in the system, you may want to do this:

- Clean fans
- Uninstall all codecs in the system
- Uninstall add-ons Browser
- Clean up the profile of the Browser
- Do a scan with ADWCleaner
- Do a scan with Malwarebytes well updated
- With HijackThis, clean up the startup of windows command unnecessary (this will become more agile system)
Old 19 December 2015, 14:00   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I would imagine that the original OS wasn't Windows 7, maybe XP or Vista.
1gb of ram is torture for Windows7 you definitely need more.
Old 19 December 2015, 16:41   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

If the memory has not been added after, then surely there was installed natively WinVista. Win7 It is much lighter than WinVista, if then disable Restore Points, Shadow Copy, Updates Windows, unnecessary Services and clean up the startup of unnecessary things, Win7 becomes more than usable with a Gig of Ram.
AdSense AdSense