English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 December 2015, 20:25   #1
albino

gods scrolling question

Hi everyone, i was wondering why gods's scrolling is not smoother as it doesn't use any parallax! is an amiga hardware problem or a programmer skills one?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 December 2015, 20:27   #2
Retro1234

No No no no no no no,so so so so wrong
I guess it uses the same scrolling as ST and Amiga parallax before AGA is shite and even with AGA...............
Old 08 December 2015, 20:31   #3
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

so many Bitmap Brothers' games on Amiga were just straight Atari-ST ports, or i suspect, it was designed from the outset to be available for both machines so there is the lowest-common-denominator factor. Making the scrolling smoother would have meant changing all the game dynamics to cope with the higher frame rate!

I don't know what method they are using for the scrolling, maybe Codetapper can fill us in on the details...
Old 08 December 2015, 21:28   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
Hi everyone, i was wondering why gods's scrolling is not smoother as it doesn't use any parallax! is an amiga hardware problem or a programmer skills one?
Or just a design choice, it doesn't have to be rooted in negativity.
Old 08 December 2015, 21:44   #5
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i think the question is about why the scrolling is not smooth, rather than why there is not parallax. It seems the assumption is that parallax would slow it down, so it would be an excuse if it were present...

Well there are (at least) two ways to achieve parallax on the Amiga, the most obvious way is "dual playfield mode" which allows you to have two screens superimposed in hardware, with one showing through the gaps in the other. There is not much performance hit, because it is a hardware mode, but you only get to use 3 bitplanes (i.e. 8 colours) per screen, so it really limits your graphics (on AGA this is better because you get two 16-colour playfields, so a lot of AGA versions of games could "easily" put a parallax layer in since the main graphics were already 16 colours anyway). There are some games that make it work, Kid Chaos and Soccer Kid are two that spring to mind, but Bitmap Brothers have their graphical style which maybe wouldn't translate very well.

Another way to achieve it is to use the blitter, to copy the background layer behind the foreground layer on every frame. You can use any colours you like with this method of course, but there is a speed penalty of actually having to copy a screen-sized graphic every frame. It's do-able with how bad the scrolling is on Gods (it appears to scroll about every 3 vbls) but on the whole there's not many gaps in the foreground for a background to show through anyway. More likely they just didn't want to do any extra work for the Amiga version over the ST version that they didn't have to.

I believe Agony uses a combination of the two above approaches to achieve 3 parallax layers.

another way to get parallax effects is to use sprites to do it, since they can be placed above, below or between the playfields. Jim Power uses sprites to achieve a third (stationary) parallax layer at the back. But you have to re-use sprites across the screen so you need a very heavy copper list, and usually a repetitive pattern.
Old 08 December 2015, 22:12   #6
albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i think the question is about why the scrolling is not smooth, rather than why there is not parallax. It seems the assumption is that parallax would slow it down, so it would be an excuse if it were present...
That's exactly what i mean....
As the amiga hardware is pretty good in smooth scrolling why this game does'nt follow the logic?
Old 08 December 2015, 22:18   #7
Retro1234

Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 got AGA rehash I wonder if Bitmap Brothers considered Gods.
Old 08 December 2015, 22:18   #8
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

maybe, *maybe* the Amiga version spends 2 VBLs out of every 3 just sitting there doing nothing, because if it ran at full speed it would just be silly.
Old 08 December 2015, 22:33   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, console version is faster and smoother and almost unplayable for me.
Old 08 December 2015, 22:34   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Bingo!
Old 08 December 2015, 22:38   #11
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i watched a review of Gods for Megadrive, it looks to be 25fps rather than the ~16fps the Amiga version gets. It does look a bit like the Charlie Chaplin version, still the reviewer complained of bad frame rate, because Megadrive gamers typically expect 50fps.

Actually it was probably the NTSC version so it would have been 30fps...
Old 08 December 2015, 22:56   #12
albino

The amiga ntsc version run probably faster and got full screen size...but cannot find it.

the amiga game look like a straight port of the st, that's why they didn't touch the scrolling..
Old 09 December 2015, 04:39   #13
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
maybe, *maybe* the Amiga version spends 2 VBLs out of every 3 just sitting there doing nothing, because if it ran at full speed it would just be silly.
If the code is not too ugly, maybe the scrolling speed and gameplay refresh rate could be decoupled from one another with relatively few modifications.

I suspect that the game does not use hardware scrolling at all though, otherwise the Bitmap Brothers could have made this modification themselves. I mean, if the game has a
draw_background
and a
draw_bobs
function, adapting it to the Amiga is as simple as gutting the former of most of its code except for discovered tiles and adding a scroll register update and adapting the latter to use the blitter. This should be at worst two days of work (worst case: one week) even in assembly language provided the code is modular. Just these two changes would provide a massive speed boost compared to the ST making the decoupling of gameplay and display more valuable to pursue.

We keep hearing the "didn't bother adapting for the Amiga" excuse but the amount of work needed is so low with a properly written program that I am tending to think that either these code bases were a horrible spaghetti mess (yeah for assembly) or many of the coders were blatantly incompetent. It seems hard to justify refusing even two additional weeks of coder time when the result could have run two times faster on another platform. The return on investment is definitely worth it if you can add "50 FPS" on the box.
Old 09 December 2015, 07:53   #14
vulture

@albino

You can run Gods in NTSC mode (whdload tooltype) and it's indeed as fast as the mega drive version and full screen.
Old 09 December 2015, 11:42   #15
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
because it works at 25 fps instead 50 fps

bitmap brothers used idem lame engine for games like, chaos engine,magic pockets etc
none of them are smooth
Old 09 December 2015, 11:59   #16
vulture

@sandro

actually, it's worse than that, it's every third frame hence the 16,66 fps figure Mrs Beanbag mentioned
Old 09 December 2015, 12:39   #17
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
If the code is not too ugly, maybe the scrolling speed and gameplay refresh rate could be decoupled from one another with relatively few modifications.
Smooth scrolling with jerky sprites can look worse imho, especially if it's the player character, it would look terrible.
Old 09 December 2015, 12:46   #18
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I have no problem with Gods as is. Scrolling is choppy, but the game is slow, so I can accept it. NTSC is not a solution as it speeds up the sound.
Old 09 December 2015, 12:54   #19
vulture

@Predseda

yeah, but.... in game, it's just sound fx, so, imo, no big deal
Old 09 December 2015, 12:56   #20
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

While I will openly admit that Gods is my favourite Amiga game of all time, I will also go on the record to say I've never noticed any choppiness with the frame rate.

Then again, I can't tell the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS in modern day games either. It's just something I don't pick up.
AdSense AdSense