English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 November 2015, 16:09   #1
AlexC

Emulation not completely paused with NIC enabled

Hi Tony,

If I enable emulating either the a2065 or RTL8029 NIC, once the Startup-Sequence calls AddNetInterface (OS4), the x86 CPU load goes up from 13% to 26% and when switching back to the desktop, the CPU load doesn't drop to ~0%, it stays at around 13% even though I have it set to pause the emulation when Inactive/Minimized.
The Task Manager cores graph shows the extra 13% as random peaks on all cores (QEmu only shows up on one core, using ~95% of it when active)

If I run the emulator without the NIC enabled or don't call AddNetInterface, the CPU load stays at 13% max and drops to ~0% when Inactive/Minimized.
The Task Manager cores graph shows only the QEmu core at ~95% which then drops to near 0% when paused, while the other 7 cores appear mostly idle.

On a side note, I have the "68K CPU idle" sliders all the way to the right, otherwise that would add another 13% CPU load and show up on its own core at ~95% when active, but that part works fine.

In conclusion, it would seem that the NIC emulation doesn't get paused once the NIC has been initialized, and it uses a lot of CPU cycles all over the cores even if there is no network activity. I tried going back a few beta versions but the behavior is the same.

Maybe it's normal but I thought I'd mention it in details in case it's not the intended behavior.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 November 2015, 15:58   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It was a bug in SLIRP that only worked depending on what compiler decided to do (which is undefined) when comparing if unsigned integer is less than zero.

Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z fix it? It seems so but slirp code is quite messy..
Old 07 December 2015, 21:15   #3
AlexC

Hi Toni,

Thanks! It works better, now the load is ~14% when running and down to ~1% when minimized.
AdSense AdSense