English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 November 2015, 04:27   #1
G.A.Pster

Question Newblet with questions.

I bought some Amigas a while ago and am now finally playing around with them. Iíve got 4 Amigas and all they can do is display the ďhand holding diskĒ image for workbench V1.2. So Iím assuming I need a workbench disk(s)? I found workbench V2.1 locally, would it work or do I need v1.2? (http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sop/5318048180.html) And a couple more questions: How well do PC Amiga emulators work for playing games, do they work as well as Dosbox? Do games and other programs boot directly off the disk or does the workbench OS have to run first? thanks
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 November 2015, 07:14   #2
jPV

You may be able to boot WB2.1 on it, but not everything will work and colors might be off etc, but for testing and for some things it even may work. In any case it isn't designed to be used across the different Kickstart (ROM) versions.

Games and other bootable disks will boot without the Workbench disk. WB is only needed if you want to use the actual OS, but with games etc you'll do without it.

Amiga emulators are pretty good, and WinUAE even excellent, to emulate Amigas. But you need pretty much knowledge about Amigas to set them up. And they never can give you the exact feeling and smoothness of a real 50Hz/60Hz CRT display
Old 24 November 2015, 08:36   #3
G.A.Pster

Since I canít obtain workbench it being copy written, and even if I could it might or might not work with my ROM.

Is there any freeware amiga program for copying disks, than can read PC formatted disks?

I read with WB 2.0 onward files can be read from PC formatted disks. (Doesnít do me any good)
Old 24 November 2015, 14:34   #4
ajk

If you want a legal license for Workbench, you can buy a suitable version of Amiga Forever.

Someone with appropriate hardware can make a physical floppy for you to use (if there's no one close by in North America, I'll be happy to do it). That is by far the easiest way to get started.

Games, for the most part, boot by themselves. Application software may or may not depend on Workbench - usually the early stuff had a bare-bones setup included so it could work stand-alone.
Old 25 November 2015, 02:37   #5
G.A.Pster

Smile

Would WB v1.3 (included in the AF Value Edition) work with my WB v1.2 ROMs?

Can I boot WB off of a CF card with adapter and not need a WB disk? (I have A500s)

Is there any kind of like "dos" mode I can get into for testing the keyboards without having a disk? (maybe hold some combination of keys?)

thanks for all the help. And thanks for the offer.
Old 27 November 2015, 14:59   #6
ajk

I believe Workbench 1.3 should work fine with Kickstart 1.2. IIRC the main difference from 1.2 to 1.3 was something related to hard drives, shouldn't be a major issue with a floppy based system.

You haven't said which Amiga models you have, but with Kickstart 1.2 I'm guessing A1000, A500 or A2000 models.

You can't use a CF card since the A500 does not have a hard drive controller. You'll need extra hardware, etiher old or modern.

An A2000 may have a hard drive controller installed, you'll have to check inside. Though Kickstart 1.2 would lead me to think that you haven't got one.

The A1000 is the trickiest to upgrade in any way.

As for testing the keyboard(s), ctrl-amiga-amiga should reset the computer. Probably no way to test them more thoroughly without a bootable floppy. Even "dos" needs to be loaded from somewhere
Old 27 November 2015, 15:36   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
I believe Workbench 1.3 should work fine with Kickstart 1.2.
There are two modules in WB 1.3 which don't work with Kick 1.2. One is printer.device and I don't remember the other one. But this does not hinder the disk from booting.

WB 2.0+ cannot boot on Kick 1.x.

BTW, if you don't have at least one Amiga which boots, you need somebody who sends you WB on a real floppy disk. There is no way to write a downloaded file to an Amiga floppy disk without a running Amiga (or special expensive PC hardware).
Old 29 November 2015, 08:43   #8
G.A.Pster

I have A500s and Amiga 1000s
Thanks guys.
It's good news I can use WB 1.3, I think maybe I'll buy AF Value Edition and see if anyone stateside can put it on a disk for me.

One last question just out of curiosity.
Can old apples, tandy, atari or some other computer write Amiga format floppies?
Old 29 November 2015, 08:55   #9
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.A.Pster View Post
I have A500s and Amiga 1000s
Thanks guys.
It's good news I can use WB 1.3, I think maybe I'll buy AF Value Edition and see if anyone stateside can put it on a disk for me.
And with A1000 you'll also need the Kickstart disk to boot before you can boot Workbench or any other disk, because Kickstart isn't on ROM on A1000 like it's on the other models.
Old 01 December 2015, 06:56   #10
kneehighspy

if you are in north america, i may be able to help you with disks, i have a 1000 and an amiga 3000d.
Old 01 December 2015, 15:32   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You might want to look at a pre flashed Gotek drive. It's a floppy drive emulator that can read adf's like real floppies
Old 07 December 2015, 10:57   #12
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Hi G.A.

One nice thing about having an A1000 and a 500 with 1.2 roms is that you can most likely play all of those cool old EA games like "Dr. J and Larry Bird go One on One" and "Marble Madness" correctly. Those were the two games I wanted to play the most when I bought my A500 in 1989 but by that time, they came with 1.3 roms and those games didn't like that at all. I never did get to play them until WHDload came out and people starting hacking games to work on it.

Get workbench disks made for you if you can, or just start buying some old games off of one of the bays and forget about workbench all together. There really isn't much to do with floppy based workbench IMHO. I guess it's interesting if you have never used it, but not very useful without a hard disk.
AdSense AdSense