English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 November 2015, 18:51   #1
TenLeftFingers

Eek Did something to my floppy drive!?

Going by this pinout: http://raspinovca.ru/cocolevca/Amiga...skdrive-Co.gif

I've been using the external floppy port for the +12V power for some LEDs that require it. I used pin 7 for ground and pin 23 for +12V. I pushed the legs of the connector I made (basically just resistor legs) through the pinholes as far as they can go recently trying to get a more secure fit.

Since then, on boot my floppy drive makes a few grinding sounds and then boots to workbench with a DF0: ???? mounted disk icon. There is no disk in the drive and adding one makes no difference.

Can anyone suggest how to find the cause of the problem so I can use floppies again and get that annoying icon off workbench?

Edit: Removing the data cable and power cable from the internal drive doesn't change the situation. So it looks like it's something between the external floppy port and inside that's causing the machine. I've looked in the holes to see if something may have broken off and be stuck in one of the holes but I don't see anything.

Last edited by TenLeftFingers; 18 November 2015 at 18:59.
Old 18 November 2015, 22:08   #2
TenLeftFingers

And now the HD won't boot. I just get a black screen. I booted the HD on UAE and it came up fine so thankfully that's still okay since a lot of work went into the installation.

So it seems I have a hardware problem.. any advice appreciated. I'm hoping I won't have to send it for repairs.
Old 18 November 2015, 22:19   #3
crazyc

Cant help with the problem I am afraid but am quite interested to hear what you were trying to do with LEDs and sticking things into sockets that way?
Old 18 November 2015, 23:12   #4
TenLeftFingers

I'm a bit too worried about what may have happened to my hardware to go in to it right now

But this thread has those details: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80255
Old 19 November 2015, 11:48   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I suppose you shorted something, causing damage to either the drive or the cia chip..
Old 19 November 2015, 15:54   #6
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I suppose you shorted something, causing damage to either the drive or the cia chip..
I was just thinking that this morning - the leg of the resistor was much longer and poked back too far into the socket. I'm such a fool! I should have bought a male connector and done my work on that.

Since the HD tested fine in UAE but won't boot, it's obviously something prior to the disk such as a controller.

I'm interested in what components those might be or if I should just get a new motherboard. With Christmas coming I will be pretty gutted if I can't use it!
Old 19 November 2015, 16:33   #7
trixster
Guru Meditating

You shoved some LEDs into the external floppy port and you're now wondering why your computer's fubar'd.....?
Old 19 November 2015, 17:48   #8
Zeph

Oops!

Open her up and check around the CIA chips and floppy port for any visibly fubarred components!
Old 19 November 2015, 18:57   #9
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
You shoved some LEDs into the external floppy port and you're now wondering why your computer's fubar'd.....?
Not exactly, but yes, I definitely F'd up. Let's hear about your first rookie mistake trixster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Oops!

Open her up and check around the CIA chips and floppy port for any visibly fubarred components!
Thanks Zeph, the 8520s look fine with the naked eye under a good strong LED lamp As does the rest of the board actually. There are no smells (although I should probably have the machine on to find those). I'm very open to any other suggestions!

I can't find any 1200mobos for sale on AmiBay or EAB for that matter and they cost close to the price of a whole machine on an EBay search!
Old 19 November 2015, 20:04   #10
Akira

If you messed with the +12V line I would suspect a problem on that. It could also be one of the CIA as suggested.

You know when I saw your post with the LEDs coming out of the port, I didn't say anything, but that really wasn't the greatest idea I hope you learned a valuable lesson here. Even if you had a breakout cable, I don't think you're supposed to do something like that. Many things can go wrong with exposed power lines on the outside. I know how you feel, I've done my share of stupid things and broke things. Hope you can find a new motherboard soon.
Old 19 November 2015, 20:08   #11
TenLeftFingers

Thanks Akira. Yeah it was a bad hack that I planned on fixing bit when it was working then I never bothered to put on heat shrink etc and make it safe.

If the CIAs are gone I probably nees a new board. But could you elaborate on the +12V part you mentioned? Do you mean the drives or CIA mightn't be getting the right voltage now?

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 19 November 2015, 22:12   #12
Akira

Since you were using the +12V line, maybe you are "lucky" and only something related to that broke, like the capacitors that are near the power plug on your Amiga. Check that area to see if there are any bulgy capacitors.
I am sorry I am not a techie so I am not able to diagnose further than that, but perhaps before all hope is lost it might be worth a shot sending the mobo to someone that fixes Amigas for a check. Dunno what could be cheaper for you in the end.
Old 19 November 2015, 23:19   #13
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Not exactly, but yes, I definitely F'd up. Let's hear about your first rookie mistake trixster
I've made plenty of mistakes in my time but i would have thought it was fairly obvious that if you don't know what you're doing then don't mess with a] electrics b] plumbing c] gas. I hope you get it fixed, or find a cheap replacement. Good luck
Old 19 November 2015, 23:25   #14
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Since you were using the +12V line, maybe you are "lucky" and only something related to that broke, like the capacitors that are near the power plug on your Amiga. Check that area to see if there are any bulgy capacitors.
I am sorry I am not a techie so I am not able to diagnose further than that, but perhaps before all hope is lost it might be worth a shot sending the mobo to someone that fixes Amigas for a check. Dunno what could be cheaper for you in the end.
Thanks Akira, I'll get in touch with a techie since I don't see anything wrong. Fingers crossed wifey will sign off on the fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I've made plenty of mistakes in my time but i would have thought it was fairly obvious that if you don't know what you're doing then don't mess with a] electrics b] plumbing c] gas. I hope you get it fixed, or find a cheap replacement. Good luck
Thanks trixster. Actually, I did a diploma in electronic engineering back in 1999, so I do know how to tap a +12V supply But I didn't work in that area and I am rusty. My mistake was being too hurried to make a proper connection. It was so long it reached the far back of the female socket and joined two legs causing a short.
Old 21 November 2015, 21:08   #15
TenLeftFingers

Oh my God, one came up and was sold within two hours! http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...Cf2ide-adapter

If anyone has one for sale, please get in touch.
Old 26 November 2015, 23:03   #16
TenLeftFingers

I've just swapped in a 'new' motherboard. Although the HD now boots again, the floppy still shows
Code:
DF0: ????
mounted disk icon. There is no disk in the drive and adding one makes no difference. In fact, when I insert a disk, there isn't even the usual noise while the system checks what has just been entered. It's as though it's dead.

At this point, is it safe to assume a problem with either the floppy drive or the PSU? I can't find a referece to the ???? status online.

Last edited by TenLeftFingers; 26 November 2015 at 23:33.
Old 26 November 2015, 23:41   #17
crazyc

When I had this I had put the floppy cable back into the board slightly offset and so two pins at the end were sticking out!
Old 27 November 2015, 00:06   #18
TenLeftFingers

I had hoped that was my mistake, but not in this case I remembered I have an old floppy drive in the electrical waste bin in my house since May/June. It has ruined some disks but just as a test I was able to get it to read a backup of workbench I have on floppy. Looks like I fried both the IDE stuff on the board as well as the floppy drive.

My local guy doesn't think he can repair it. Is it worth keeping the old board and floppy drive?
Old 27 November 2015, 00:18   #19
crazyc

Well for parts I guess. Also with regards to the board, had it been recapped? If not then perhaps in future you may be able to get someone to fault find and if they can fix it, then recap also and minimise additional outlay that way.
I have a board that is currently away being recapped, having the rf modulator removed, the power lines to the floppy reinforced, and some power points being run off the main psu socket. Might as well save on postage and get it all done!
Old 27 November 2015, 00:38   #20
TenLeftFingers

I may indeed do that as I'm starting to suspect that my old motherboard was in fact not faulty. The new board exhibits the same behaviour with the same peripherals so I will try the old mobo again with the faulty peripherals replaced and see if it works. Fingers crossed
Nope, board is not okay

By the way, it seems the Amiga can not boot from the HD if the internal floppy drive is removed. Is there any way around this?

Last edited by TenLeftFingers; 27 November 2015 at 02:26.