English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 15 October 2015, 20:12   #61
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 46
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@ReadOnlyCat its not the logic in your reasoning thats at fault here. Its your expectation that everyone else will have a logical approach to their love for retro things. ��
We have all lived different lifes and we all have our personal frame of reference. Just leave it at that. If someone wants to try to run Quake 3 on an OCS Amiga.. let them - without questioning the logic or reasons. Just sit back and enjoy your own personal Amiga experiences ;-)
Cheers
To each his own. For sure. That is precisely what I said in my preamble.

My point was that people should realize what they are really doing and what they are doing is lingering and fiddling with a zombified corpse.

Letting go things that are gone forever and will not come back is much more enjoyable. People will become happier and more active Amiga users once they come to terms with the fact that their loved one is gone.

People mistake their innate and natural pre-adulthood enthusiasm with having to do with the Amiga: it hasn't, it is just how humans grow. My father does not have a shred of nostalgia for 8 bit/16 bit computers, what was magical for him were the things he saw as a child/young adult.
Even damn Atari ST users look at the machine with nostalgic awe and we all know that machine sucked in about every respect compared to the Amiga.

It is not the Amiga we regret, it's having an Amiga while being a kid.
And that prevents many people for enjoying the present day, which in my opinion is a serious psychological problem: letting go is the best thing one can learn in life to become happy and active.

Those better past days are an artifact of how our brains grow. Letting these rose tinted views go will make your enjoyment of the Amiga ten times better. We live in wonderful days, even more so than back then, realizing that does not make the Amigas any less enjoyable but it definitely helps getting rid of this lingering negativity about these mythical "good old days".

Stop regretting. Stop asking for new things. Learn, code, solder. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Edit: and I must apologize if I am using too strong or opiniated language. I guess I am also too passionate about the topic to present my thoughts in a neutral manner. I sure hope I will not antagonize anyone. I sure love every Amiga loving kitten regardless of their retro-orientation!

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 15 October 2015 at 20:19. Reason: Added edit.
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 October 2015, 20:20   #62
trydowave
Registered User
trydowave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Watford UK
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by seko View Post
if i have got enough time, i want to finish Remake robocop for amiga.

below Level 1 and level 1 boss scene preview

[ Show youtube player ]


[ Show youtube player ]
This looks great! Keep up the good work mate.
trydowave is offline  
Old 15 October 2015, 20:29   #63
TCD
Registered User

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
@ReadOnlyCat I'm pretty sure we all got your point by now. Really no need to make even more posts repeating the same things over and over.

I totally agree with you and Akira, but there's so little sense in trying to 'educate' people beyond just stating your opinion and then letting them decide what they think about it. You really try to prove that people are 'wrong' here if they just have a different opinion.

tl;dr: Let it go, Indy

TCD is offline  
Old 15 October 2015, 20:48   #64
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
For me Amigas are stellar retro computing hardware (no nostalgia). My ideal Amiga future would be brand new A1200s with updated connectivity based on a reverse engineered AGA chipset and 68k production license. The only reason it's not going to happen is cash, of course.
Thorham is offline  
Old 15 October 2015, 22:05   #65
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 46
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
@ReadOnlyCat I'm pretty sure we all got your point by now. Really no need to make even more posts repeating the same things over and over.

I totally agree with you and Akira, but there's so little sense in trying to 'educate' people beyond just stating your opinion and then letting them decide what they think about it. You really try to prove that people are 'wrong' here if they just have a different opinion.
Whaaaat?
But I had two more chapters ready to post!
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 16 October 2015, 21:00   #66
seko
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
@seko
a bit OT but if you need for some more movie-like soundtrack call me, have lot of orchestra samples since working on HOMM 2 soundtrack ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
This looks great! Keep up the good work mate.

saimon69 and trydowave friends .I'm trying to do my best for amiga
 
Old 16 October 2015, 22:42   #67
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 699
@seko
I do appreciate
saimon69 is offline  
Old 17 October 2015, 01:04   #68
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 699
at the end i will consider a worthy future where is given to Caesar what belong to Caesar, mean if we can remove the "damnatio memoriae" put over the Amiga era from mainstream computer history
saimon69 is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 19:35   #69
ppcamiga1
Banned

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 15
I can explain problem with akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam with an example.

Imagine a man who last time used a PC when standard PC was 286 with VGA.

This man after 20 years saw pc with windows. And now he tells developers:

Windows is crap, you should throw away everything you done in last 20 years,

and return to programming dos and hardware bang vga card.

Dos is very good os. You should use it.

Developer tell this man you are idiot, we do not throw away everything what we made for windows in last 20 years and return to dos, get lost.

But this moron still try to convert developers from use windows and return to dos.

This is what I as developer feel when some people try to force developers to return to retro and a500 style coding.

People like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept fact that majority of Amiga developers, who has been with the Amiga after 1992 use os and don't care about
commodore hardware.

For many reasons, mainly because every amiga made after 1992 has cpu faster than chipset, and writing software that use for example hardware bang blitter is simply stupid.

a500 style coding was nice, but it is not our hobby.
Our hobby is making software for Amiga OS.

Pople like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept that and do not try to change this.
ppcamiga1 is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 19:55   #70
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
People like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam
My handle isn't thormam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
Imagine a man who last time used a PC when standard PC was 286 with VGA.
No, I will not imagine this because it's not relevant An Amiga isn't a sucky 286. Amigas are really awesome retro computers and 68k is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
and return to programming dos and hardware bang vga card.
I NEVER said that banging the hardware is always a good idea. It depends on what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
For many reasons, mainly because every amiga made after 1992 has cpu faster than chipset
Yeah, I know, I have an A1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
and writing software that use for example hardware bang blitter is simply stupid.
Not if, like some people, you're interested in writing software for plain A500 or A1200. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
a500 style coding was nice, but it is not our hobby.
This sounds as if that applies to all developers. Some people write hit the hardware software for low spec machines. Some people write OS friendly software for 68k, and some write only for AOS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
Pople like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept that and do not try to change this.
If you want to write software for AOS then that's fine. Where did I actually try to change this?

Last edited by Thorham; 18 October 2015 at 20:09.
Thorham is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 22:30   #71
phx
Natteravn

phx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Herford / Germany
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
People like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept fact that majority of Amiga developers, who has been with the Amiga after 1992 use os and don't care about
commodore hardware.
You speak for yourself. I doubt that there is a majority behind such statements. Retro-computing, playing the old games of your youth on A500 and A1200, is what made the scene stronger during the last years. It is the original Commodore hardware which makes people return to the Amiga.

Quote:
a500 style coding was nice, but it is not our hobby.
Our hobby is making software for Amiga OS.
Which software did you write for AmigaOS? I did a lot of that. Also for NG Amigas.
But I still enjoy going back to a plain A500 and write games in 68k assembler, hitting the OCS chipset directly. It's fun.
phx is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 23:12   #72
wawa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: berlin/germany
Posts: 892
guys, no need to discuss, the guy has a track of record writing nonsense on all sites just for purpose of winding people up. usually he pops up at times when os4 gets in some serious trouble and tries to blame that on everybody else, as you see on the above example. this time its namely us who hinder the developers, somewhere else its morphos team not open sourcing mui, and so on.. must be really pita.
wawa is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 23:24   #73
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 46
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
I can explain problem with akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam with an example.
[...]
This is what I as developer feel when some people try to force developers to return to retro and a500 style coding.

People like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept fact that majority of Amiga developers, who has been with the Amiga after 1992 use os and don't care about
commodore hardware.
[...]
P[e]ople like akira,ReadOnlyCat,thormam should accept that and do not try to change this.
Stating an opinion is not "asking people to change", I never said "you must stop using this system" and I never will.
People should do what they like, but it does not seem outrageous to ask them to call a cat a cat instead of a flying penguin.

Also, this is the first time I read about AmigaDOS being used because of its "retro OS" appeal (*). If you are into retro-Amiga-OS-only, then all good, moreover that allows you to use the modern CPUs of your PCs and Macs so no accelerating issues. I see no logical inconstencies here.

As eXeler0 said, many creatures just are not logically consistent when talking about their retro-Amiga passion. I will learn to deal with it I promise.

By all means do what you love and be happy, that is all I wish for.


(*) Update: actually I am wrong, ptyerman mentioned something like that in another thread but I had forgotten about it.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 18 October 2015 at 23:41.
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 18 October 2015, 23:49   #74
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
As eXeler0 said, many creatures just are not logically consistent when talking about their retro-Amiga passion.
Humans aren't rational beings to begin with.
Thorham is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 00:04   #75
Sandro
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: spain
Posts: 897
sorry but the future of the amiga is this

Sandro is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 00:04   #76
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 46
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Humans aren't rational beings to begin with.
Being a kitten I keep forgetting about it.
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 00:28   #77
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 39
Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
sorry but the future of the amiga is this

Oh my, I didnt even know my beloved Ami has a humas skeleton!
Predseda is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 01:38   #78
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Being a kitten I keep forgetting about it.
What's with those kittens anyway?
Thorham is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 01:47   #79
matthey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,284
I like the old Amiga hardware but it has limitations. I like the new Amiga hardware which removes limitations while maintaining compatibility. This maximizes software availability including old and retro software while allowing more modern uses and more creativity. This should be good for everyone Amiga. Lack of standards and direction decisions are a problem for new Amiga hardware but the old Amiga hardware still works for those who prefer it. I can understand the new Amiga hardware guys arguing about which way hardware development should go but I don't understand the philosophical argument between old and new Amiga hardware.
matthey is offline  
Old 19 October 2015, 11:32   #80
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Mrs Beanbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edinburgh/Scotland
Posts: 2,202
all hardware has limitations.

actually i like limitations, just like some people like solving a maze, while another person prefers to run about in the open field.
Mrs Beanbag is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C64 Future Composer vs Amiga Future Composer redblade support.Apps 1 26 March 2012 20:46
Amiga Future: Amiga-Shows-Gallery Update AndreasM News 0 23 April 2009 11:23
Amiga Future: Videos of Amiga Shows online AndreasM News 3 09 March 2009 19:08
Amiga Future: Amiga Software Database (ASD) Beta 2 Online AndreasM News 0 12 January 2009 13:42
Amiga Future takes over the Big Book of Amiga Hardware AndreasM News 0 17 September 2006 23:07

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.31385 seconds with 11 queries