English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 October 2015, 16:31   #21
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Oh, damn. That will teach me to believe that price = quality.
Thanks for these details.

But the problem with sites like Shoriuken is that there really isn't a consistent opinion: everyone have their own preferences and many will recommend modding which frankly isn't necessary for 99% of us who do not participate to Street Fighter competitions and have no intent to.
Every time I visit them I end up equally undecided as before.

But clearly I missed the consensus on the bad aspects of the X-Arcade so thanks again for pointing it out!
Hey if you are happy with the stick then that's cool. I personally loved the huge size of the large tank stick (I didn't have the version with the trackball on) and more than anything it felt like the arcade just due to the scale of it! ...but from my own experience (and I guess from others too on the interwebs) I'm really not sure I'd recommend it to others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post
Or you could just go true old school and get a USB Competition Pro: I have one of these, and it's a bit fiddly with a single button joystick having four different fire buttons, as they weren't designed with reaching them all at different times in mind... but they've got the good old fashioned solid feel to them and well worth getting.
I picked up one of these off ebay last month for playing uae4all on my Ouya. It's defo got the nostalgia look to it but again I'm not sure I'd recommend these as the quality isn't as good as the ones from 30 odd years ago (just search eab and others will tell you all the issues)? I do like that it does support more than one independent fire button though which is something the original couldn't do (so makes emulation easier).

Again everyone will have there own opinions on the stick they prefer.. my personal weapon of choice for emulation currently isn't even a stick but the official Sega Saturn SLS USB pads that were out years ago (not the horrible cheap white knock offs doing the rounds on ebay now)...
...although you'd need to remortgage your house to afford them as they are long out of print and go for silly prices.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 October 2015, 09:45   #22
Cpt. Hindsight

My Hori arrived yesterday and I fell in love instantly.

I just gave it a go with Last Blade 2 and 1000 miglia

and from what I can say after a few minutes of play, I didn't notice any input lag (I was a little afraid of that since it's wireless) and it's very precise.
A purchasing recommendation from my side.

Windows was downloading a driver for it though, so it will probably not work with Linux.
Old 15 October 2015, 10:18   #23
ransom1122

That Hori, looks marvelous. Thanks for all the info, and I am glad you got yourself one. I'll look on Ebay for one over the week or so.

Ebay Australia, has none. all imports with ridiculous Interntational Postage costs. , im in no hurry, ill keep looking.

Last edited by ransom1122; 15 October 2015 at 10:25.
Old 15 October 2015, 11:45   #24
Vot

Best USB Arcade Stick for use with WINUAE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
That Hori, looks marvelous. Thanks for all the info, and I am glad you got yourself one. I'll look on Ebay for one over the week or so.

Ebay Australia, has none. all imports with ridiculous Interntational Postage costs. , im in no hurry, ill keep looking.

Big w imported them at one time and very cheap (i swear i paid $30 posted when they had a clearance on the big w website ) they were 360 versions tho. I gutted the wiring and wired them up for the amiga. My next task is to make up some cd32 controller boards for them.
Old 15 October 2015, 12:02   #25
Baboon
Moon Monkey

A quick search showed this on ebay Australia from Hori for $45 (and free postage!):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hori-Figh...item3ab3913510

…I’ve got one of these and they are ok sticks (I assume they are much the same build quality etc as the wireless ones but with wired usb so will work on xbox 360 or pc)?

Let us know what you pick up in the end (lots of options ha)?!

Last edited by Baboon; 15 October 2015 at 12:20.
Old 15 October 2015, 13:13   #26
ransom1122

Yeah I will do much choice. I emulate amigs mostly on pc and ps3 so I need a stick that does at least those two. 360 option is Bonus as I don't emulate as much on 360 then I currently do over the original xbox 1.
Old 15 October 2015, 13:15   #27
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Big w imported them at one time and very cheap (i swear i paid $30 posted when they had a clearance on the big w website ) they were 360 versions tho. I gutted the wiring and wired them up for the amiga. My next task is to make up some cd32 controller boards for them.
You rewired and made one into amiga? Really.?? Nice.
Old 15 October 2015, 14:07   #28
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
I picked up one of these off ebay last month for playing uae4all on my Ouya. It's defo got the nostalgia look to it but again I'm not sure I'd recommend these as the quality isn't as good as the ones from 30 odd years ago (just search eab and others will tell you all the issues)? I do like that it does support more than one independent fire button though which is something the original couldn't do (so makes emulation easier).
Mine was brand new, so maybe that was the difference. I don't know if they're still in production and whether you can get them new anymore...

Quote:
Again everyone will have there own opinions on the stick they prefer.. my personal weapon of choice for emulation currently isn't even a stick but the official Sega Saturn SLS USB pads that were out years ago (not the horrible cheap white knock offs doing the rounds on ebay now)...
...although you'd need to remortgage your house to afford them as they are long out of print and go for silly prices.
I've still got my original Sega Master System joystick, which plugged straight into my Amiga and I used there for 10 years; I sometimes wonder about getting a USB converter for it too, but never get around to it... and it only has two buttons, which isn't enough these days. But ahhh nostalgia...
Old 16 October 2015, 00:24   #29
ransom1122

Cheapest ps3/pc hori stick is $62 free delivery from Japan. Though I'm more inclined on a wireless like Cpt. Hindsight.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...315358&alt=web

I can't find Cpt. Hindsights wireless stick anywhere?
Old 16 October 2015, 01:41   #30
ransom1122

Quote:
Yep apologies you are correct. I'll check when I get home but I think I've got something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trio-Linke...-/131089878423

..either that or you can chain dc/ps2/pc converters together if I remember correctly?
Would this kind of adaptor allow me to use my dreamcast arcade stick on my pc with Windows Vista?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...197354&alt=web

I Might source a cheap adaptor until I can find a wireless ps3 hori stick.
Old 16 October 2015, 07:30   #31
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Would this kind of adaptor allow me to use my dreamcast arcade stick on my pc with Windows Vista?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...197354&alt=web

I Might source a cheap adaptor until I can find a wireless ps3 hori stick.
Yep that will work fine with your stick
Old 16 October 2015, 22:34   #32
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
I can't find Cpt. Hindsights wireless stick anywhere?
It's the same model as the one sold in a Tekken 6 bundle, but without the fancy imprints. Maybe it's easier to find it that way.

I guess I just had luck there were just eight bids and to my own surprise, nobody was willing to bid more than me (which was exactly €30 incl. shipping, got it for €28.77 incl. shipping).

btw: If you want to use it just for WinUAE, did you think about a 9-pin to usb converter? You could use your usual Amiga joysticks this way and imho that adds a lot of immersion to emulating an Amiga. Connecting it to a PS3 will be an issue though. I don't think any adapter will be compatible to it.
Old 17 October 2015, 00:18   #33
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
It's the same model as the one sold in a Tekken 6 bundle, but without the fancy imprints. Maybe it's easier to find it that way.

I guess I just had luck there were just eight bids and to my own surprise, nobody was willing to bid more than me (which was exactly €30 incl. shipping, got it for €28.77 incl. shipping).

btw: If you want to use it just for WinUAE, did you think about a 9-pin to usb converter? You could use your usual Amiga joysticks this way and imho that adds a lot of immersion to emulating an Amiga. Connecting it to a PS3 will be an issue though. I don't think any adapter will be compatible to it.
Yeah I figured it was the Tekken 6 bundle stick. There's a few on sale but without bluetooth dongle. I'll wait for a complete sale of one.

I did think about that converter. But I'll keep my 9pin amiga star cursor joystick for my real amiga. Not only that the price is too step in my opinion. For the same price I could get a hori which is compatible with ps3 & pc which both platforms I use for amiga emulation.

Out of curiosity I wonder if the dreamcast mayflash usb adaptor will allow me to use my dreamcast arcade stick with a ps3? If the adaptor converts the signal to usb why wouldn't it work?
Old 17 October 2015, 02:35   #34
kedawa

Quote:
A quick search showed this on ebay Australia from Hori for $45 (and free postage!):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hori-Figh...item3ab3913510

…I’ve got one of these and they are ok sticks (I assume they are much the same build quality etc as the wireless ones but with wired usb so will work on xbox 360 or pc)?

Let us know what you pick up in the end (lots of options ha)?!
I used one of these for years, although I had to mod it quite a bit before I was completely happy with it. It lacks the precision of the more expensive sticks, but it is a nice cheap alternative, and not overly big. The layout has more space between the stick and button cluster than most sticks do, which is nice.

Old 19 October 2015, 04:56   #35
ransom1122

Although id love to have the hori ps3 wireless arcade stick. I purchased the mayflash dreamcast to usb adaptor. So I can use my dreamcast arcade stick on both win & pc. I'll report back once it arrives from hong kong.
Old 04 November 2015, 02:53   #36
ransom1122

My PS3 wireless HORI arrived today. And it's great. Works perfect with winuae without any custom configurations. Also works fine on my ps3. MAME emulation with this stick is great. I can whip or a game of galaga wirelessly from the couch. A lot of fun.

I'm still waiting for my mayflash usb adaptor for my dreamcast arcade stick. I will report back what it's like in comparison with the HORI
Old 04 November 2015, 08:05   #37
Cpt. Hindsight

You actually found a wireless Hori in Australia?
How much did you have to pay?
Old 04 November 2015, 08:26   #38
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
You actually found a wireless Hori in Australia?
How much did you have to pay?
$40 - 2nd hand perfect condition. Very happy..
Old 04 November 2015, 08:36   #39
ransom1122

Just test the Mayflash Dreamcast to USB adaptor with my Dreamcast Arcade stick and WINUAE and it works perfect. Tested on 32bit Vista, WINUAE picks up USB Controller #1 & #2. Tried Turrican, movement smooth and nice. Button A was to FIRE. Button B was Special Move. So no need to press Spacebar !!! YAY.. WIN WIN!
HORI Wireless and a DC Arcade Stick now working fine with WINUAE.
I will test the DC Arcade Stick on the PS3, when I get some time.

UPDATE - The Dramcast arcade stick with the usb adaptor works fine on PS3. I can control in XMB and play games with it. (Not sure what or if you can use start of select buttons with it) Tried Retroarch MAME on PS3, and the dreamcast stick works perfect. Exactly like the HORI

Last edited by ransom1122; 04 November 2015 at 09:46.
Old 04 November 2015, 11:26   #40
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Happy days!
AdSense AdSense