English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 March 2003, 21:55   #21
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
0.8.22r5 appears to disallow enabling of CD-drives (again, real or virtual) with the "use PC drives" option, so it is virtually impossible for me to use CDs in this version.
You need to install Amiga CDROM filesystem, search older topics.. "use PC drives" does not mount CDROM drives since 0.8.2x. (because it was a hack, it mounted CDROM drives as strange removable harddrives)

But I thought this thread was about CD32 not Workbench CDROM problems...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 March 2003, 00:10   #22
MethodGit

You mean this thread? If so, it helped make my CD drives work in WB (in particular, I'm utilising OS3.9) now! Woohoo!

Still don't know about CD³² though. I take it you can't install any filesystem on that? Is there another way to pick 'em up?
Old 09 March 2003, 20:57   #23
MethodGit

Well, I've given up on trying to get CDs to work in CD³² mode. Every time it fails the CD-drive (I have two) doesn't seem to want to spit out the CD when I press Eject, then when I open up My Computer it gets stuck trying to read that drive. Eventually the system goes to shit, I can't get the CD out (ctrl-alt-del'ing My Computer does nothing to help whatsoever) and in the end I have to reset my whole comp and start up again.

If this is what's gonna happen every time I try to use the CD³² mode with a real CD then stuff it. Shame.....
Old 16 March 2003, 14:02   #24
MethodGit

Look, maybe I can learn from you lot.

Did anyone here manage to make (wirtten) CD³² CDs boot through WinUAE successfully? What were your settings? What drivers/CD-ROM/whatever was you lot using?
Old 16 March 2003, 16:04   #25
MethodGit

Another thought: does it have anything to do with what software you use to burn CDs? I use Easy CD Pro 95 for ISO/MP3 stuff and Nero for BIN/CUE games.
Old 16 March 2003, 17:02   #26
pcGTW_Webmaster

This is really funny...

Please, try the burned CD on a real CD³² or get yourself at least one original CD³² game to test with WinUAE. You cannot find out what's wrong if you don't even have a game where you can be sure that it is okay.

I've burned some CD³² games and they work all with WinUAE...
Old 16 March 2003, 21:45   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
Well, I've given up on trying to get CDs to work in CD³² mode. Every time it fails the CD-drive (I have two) doesn't seem to want to spit out the CD when I press Eject, then when I open up My Computer it gets stuck trying to read that drive. Eventually the system goes to shit, I can't get the CD out (ctrl-alt-del'ing My Computer does nothing to help whatsoever) and in the end I have to reset my whole comp and start up again.
Well, I think this is the most revealing clue so far in your lurid misadventures. There seems to be issues with the burned CD itself if you are experiencing problems ejecting the CD. This happens with me only on problem CD's that aren't burned proper - the PC is trying to read the disc and the data is not written properly somehow. Are you finalizing the CD's you burn? Or are you leaving them open to write? Is this a CD-RW thing?

Frankly, I think you should take EasyCD and soak it in acid (not the drug) until there is nothing left but a bad memory. But to each his own.

Your problem seems to lie in your burned discs and not any of the other avenues you are seeking in the WinUAE realm.
Old 16 March 2003, 22:41   #28
MethodGit

But when I burn using Easy CD Pro 95 I always check the "Close CD" option before I burn. And when I use Nero it should finalize the CD anyway seeing as it's an image. It only needs me telling it to finalize or not if I'm making a brand new CD of stuff.
Old 16 March 2003, 23:25   #29
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Do both apps tell you that the CD you burned is good after the burn process? Are you running other apps in the background when you burn discs? A friend of mine burned audio CD's a lot that ended up with ugly popping sounds after burned, which was probably caused by his surfing the web in the background whilst burning the CD. The pops stopped on his CD's once I told him to do nothing else until the CD was finished. How this activity might affect a data CD I cannot say, as I brew a pot of coffee or something when I burn.
Old 17 March 2003, 00:18   #30
Akira

I use to do some stuff while burning, all you have to do is keep an eye on the buffer level. If it starts going erratic, beware.

I used to get constant 100% buffer levels, but lately it's dropping every time.. I think I need to defragment the HD or something.

NEVER do something that is hard disk intensive while burning. You oculd of browse the web, and some other stuff, but not much.
Old 17 March 2003, 06:03   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
NEVER do something that is hard disk intensive while burning. You oculd of browse the web, and some other stuff, but not much.
Well, there are variables here. It depends greatly on the websites you surf to. What if you hit a site using java or javascript that does nasty things, or one that starts streaming some wav file while you wait, or loads a table with 3 megs of text data gapped across arrays of fields, or obscure plug-in modules, or imbedded multimedia, etc. I can see several sites taxing the system enough to make a CD burn session upchuck.
Old 17 March 2003, 06:19   #32
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Well, there are variables here. It depends greatly on the websites you surf to. What if you hit a site using java or javascript that does nasty things, or one that starts streaming some wav file while you wait, or loads a table with 3 megs of text data gapped across arrays of fields, or obscure plug-in modules, or imbedded multimedia, etc. I can see several sites taxing the system enough to make a CD burn session upchuck.
Indeed, forgot this important part. Some sites suck and will hog your HD. Avoid like the plague
Old 28 March 2003, 15:46   #33
MethodGit

Meh, I just tried using the Daemon/CloneCD trick on one CD³² game and it still hasn't made a difference. And yes, the comp still crashes after the CD fails.

I left it to burn to CD on its own too, nothing else. I was wondering whether I'm meant to have the CD32.TM (speaking of which, where can I find this file?) file in my Kickstart roms directory or something?
Old 04 April 2003, 21:59   #34
th4t1guy

Here's my two cents:

If you can't get the cd32 emulation to read audio cds, then it's most likely not the cds you've burned. Although you've probably created some duds. EZ CD Pro is crap and early as well as early versions of Nero. For burning CD32 images, I recommend CDR-Win.
Old 04 April 2003, 22:41   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Aye, i did SSFT2 with CDR-Win. Worked a treat.
AdSense AdSense