English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01 November 2015, 03:45   #61
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Is this thread turning into a Blue Team vs Red Team discussion? We've had enough of those during the years
Yes, its starts with things like "MorphOS isn't AmigaOS" and deteriorates from there.
Personally, I'm not sure anything is AmigaOS after 3.1.

But if McBill had had his way originally, MorphOS would be the current OS and the package currently called OS4 would never have been created.

Now we have two OS' with one claiming its 'real'.

And the same arguments continue to drag us down.

One day, hopefully, I'll find this all funny.
iggybeans is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 November 2015, 04:09   #62
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal/Canadia
Age: 46
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
Yes, its starts with things like "MorphOS isn't AmigaOS" and deteriorates from there.
Personally, I'm not sure anything is AmigaOS after 3.1.
[...]
And the same arguments continue to drag us down.

One day, hopefully, I'll find this all funny.
Read these threads with a bottle of whiskey at hand and you won't have to wait much.
ReadOnlyCat is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 08:31   #63
ppcamiga1
Banned

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 15
We amiga developers use better cpu than 68k because 68k is too slow.
Making software for real 68k is not interesting because this crap has 486 level performance.
Amiga is hobby and hobby has to be interesting.
We amiga developers will not resign from decent C compiler.
And gcc is one and only decent C compiler that generate code for amiga.
It is simple - code generated by gcc is too slow to real 68k cpu this means real 68k cpu is crap and need to be replaced with something better.
It may be any cpu able to work in 32 bit bigendian mode due to integration with the old 68k software - all 32 bit bigendian.
ppcamiga1 is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 15:02   #64
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
We amiga developers use better cpu than 68k because 68k is too slow.
Making software for real 68k is not interesting because this crap has 486 level performance.
Amiga is hobby and hobby has to be interesting.
We amiga developers will not resign from decent C compiler.
And gcc is one and only decent C compiler that generate code for amiga.
It is simple - code generated by gcc is too slow to real 68k cpu this means real 68k cpu is crap and need to be replaced with something better.
It may be any cpu able to work in 32 bit bigendian mode due to integration with the old 68k software - all 32 bit bigendian.
You "amiga developer"? What great PPC software packages have you "amiga developer" developed already?
OlafSch is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 17:16   #65
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
You "amiga developer"? What great PPC software packages have you "amiga developer" developed already?

PPC do help with the endian issue, but I still rather like using 68K assembly code.
I wish there was better support for 68K code under NG systems.
iggybeans is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 18:46   #66
ppcamiga1
Banned

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 15
olaf schownweiss is well known powerpc hater.
His problems started when he tried to persuade amiga ppc user to use x86 but he get to get lost.
ppcamiga1 is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 18:49   #67
ppcamiga1
Banned

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
PPC do help with the endian issue, but I still rather like using 68K assembly code.
Ok. Why not. 68K assembly code that use OS usually work ok.
ppcamiga1 is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 19:35   #68
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
olaf schownweiss is well known powerpc hater.
His problems started when he tried to persuade amiga ppc user to use x86 but he get to get lost.
Maybe, but he asked a simple question and you actively ignored it and chose to say something negative about him. That attitude doesnt really benefit anyone...
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 19:37   #69
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
olaf schownweiss is well known powerpc hater.
His problems started when he tried to persuade amiga ppc user to use x86 but he get to get lost.
and you are a fanatical PPC supporter...

but you did not answer my question... you claimed to be a "amiga developer". So what have you developed on PPC?
OlafSch is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 20:24   #70
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
and you are a fanatical PPC supporter...

but you did not answer my question... you claimed to be a "amiga developer". So what have you developed on PPC?
Yes, a valid question, I am a PPC fanatic and I still write code for my own amusement, but I don't consider myself a developer.

So...an answer to OlafSch's question does seem in order.
iggybeans is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 20:38   #71
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
Yes, a valid question, I am a PPC fanatic and I still write code for my own amusement, but I don't consider myself a developer.

So...an answer to OlafSch's question does seem in order.
The question is not for you... I think PPCAmiga is a talker, he propably never has written just one line of code and just spreads nonsense
OlafSch is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 21:17   #72
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
The question is not for you... I think PPCAmiga is a talker, he propably never has written just one line of code and just spreads nonsense
That does seem likely.
I moved from 6809, to 680XX, and now to PPC.

The first was pretty easy, the second somewhat different but with some great advantages, and the third is a real bitch.

So, "what have you written" is a really valid point.

I'm just in the process of rewriting a 16550 driver for an 6809 application to take advantage of the dual and quad versions available.

That is within my comfort zone.

Claiming to be proficient in NG coding, ah..I don't believe it either.

So...PPCAmiga...can you point to anything you have created?
iggybeans is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 23:21   #73
ppcamiga1
Banned

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
That does seem likely.
I moved from 6809, to 680XX, and now to PPC.

The first was pretty easy, the second somewhat different but with some great advantages, and the third is a real bitch.
I do not use asm since 1992.

Proper code in C for amiga compiles without changes on gcc for 68k and ppc.

olaf schoenweiss do not kow this because olaf schoenweiss never use any ppc amiga.
ppcamiga1 is offline  
Old 01 November 2015, 23:29   #74
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
I do not use asm since 1992.

Proper code in C for amiga compiles without changes on gcc for 68k and ppc.

olaf schoenweiss do not kow this because olaf schoenweiss never use any ppc amiga.
Sigh.....
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 00:26   #75
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
I do not use asm since 1992.

Proper code in C for amiga compiles without changes on gcc for 68k and ppc.

olaf schoenweiss do not kow this because olaf schoenweiss never use any ppc amiga.
I first learned to use assembly code in the '80's, and with the 68K it still produces tighter, faster code than C (so I still use it).

Conversely, I would never try to figure out PPC machine code.

The primary advantage I find in C is that it is pretty easy to create small modules that often can be reused (or reworked with a little effort).

But my style of coding is probably quite different then most programmers.

Since by the late '80's and early '90s I was using primarily re-entrant code, today I tend to break most functions into small modules.

I find most C coders are quite sloppy with little regard for program size or efficiency.
iggybeans is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 00:42   #76
OlafSch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nuernberg
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Sigh.....
ok he answered the question
OlafSch is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 01:03   #77
wawa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: berlin/germany
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcamiga1 View Post
I do not use asm since 1992.

Proper code in C for amiga compiles without changes on gcc for 68k and ppc.

olaf schoenweiss do not kow this because olaf schoenweiss never use any ppc amiga.
now, that sounds defintely like a bot. whoever constructed it, who cares? simply delete its account and be done with it. except you think, bots may write amiga aoftware?
wawa is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 01:08   #78
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
now, that sounds defintely like a bot. whoever constructed it, who cares? simply delete its account and be done with it. except you think, bots may write amiga aoftware?
Yeah, the old "you can just recompile it" argument is pretty telling.
iggybeans is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 01:22   #79
wawa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: berlin/germany
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
Yeah, the old "you can just recompile it" argument is pretty telling.
wrong. being able to argument implies intelligence. the texts in question are simple repetitions and variations of a pattern.
wawa is offline  
Old 02 November 2015, 02:37   #80
iggybeans
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bear Delaware, USA
Age: 56
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
wrong. being able to argument implies intelligence. the texts in question are simple repetitions and variations of a pattern.

Sir, you are quite mean spirited...and I like it.
"being able to argument implies intelligence", that is a great summation.
iggybeans is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Reminder "Lincs Amiga User Group aka "LAG" Meet Sat 5th of January 2013" rockape News 4 30 January 2013 01:06
CD32 Image-Name-Bug: "...(bla)[!].zip" -> "...(bla)[" / "...[test].zip" -> "...[tes" cfTrio support.WinUAE 8 18 December 2012 17:31
Modded cs-ppc , socketed oscillators on small "pcb" keropi Hardware pics 9 26 March 2007 16:21
PPC-Hardware: "Samantha" with PPC440 and ATI-onboard graphic? Paul News 3 09 September 2006 21:17
Problems with "Thespywholovedme", "Flood", "Shinobi" sareks support.Games 12 03 May 2006 15:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.36928 seconds with 11 queries