English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2015, 10:42   #61
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

What would you choose between the TAC-2 and the Slik Stik? I'm really fascinated by the idea of the TAC-2 not having microswitches (not because I don't like the sound) as it's a completely different way of creating a joystick and one rarely used at that.

Some actually swear that makes the TAC-2 the most accurate joystick ever!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 October 2015, 17:43   #62
Akira

Have you ever opened one? It's really brute force but WORKS GREAT! The Slik Stik is the same, basically the shaft has a big steel ball in the end and a connection to ground, and when you move it it hits metal contacts firmly planted on the case. It can never break unless you are truly a beast. And of course it doesn't click, so even late at night with volume really low or off, you can peacefully play any game you want. I'm really sensitive to noise, so microswitch joysticks drive me truly insane.

I think accuracy is paramount with this. The Slik Stik's shortest response time (because it's a smaller stick) makes it perfect for games where fast reactions are needed. It tends to sometimes trick you into doing a diagonal though, but that's as far as I have found problems with it, I guess after a while I'll get used to it and won't have any problems avoiding accidental diagonal input.

I don't really think I can choose between the two. They are very similar. It will depend in the end on what kinda form factor you want. If you want smaller and maybe quicker reaction, Slik Stik. For a standard arcade-like operation, TAC-2. But they will BOTH hurt your thumb palm muscle with constant firing and holding the button.

Next, I want to try the Suncom Starfighter. It's a TAC-2 with a different stick. But they are pricey and maybe not worth my hassle. That's the other advantage of the Slik Stik, at least in the US, they can be found much cheaper than TAC-2s and Starfighters.
Old 01 October 2015, 18:07   #63
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Thanks mate, I think I'll get hold of a TAC-2. I have gigantic hands and the Slik Stik seems really too small for mine

I've always played with long-throw sticks, so I think I'll do fine!

Now about that "thumb hurting" part, it sounds quite familiar... I remember having sore thumbs the entire day after playing some games on my Quickshot Python - you just had to press fire a lot and even if placed on the top of the stick, it'd still be pretty tiring!
Old 01 October 2015, 19:33   #64
Akira

Its not the thumb that hurts, but the part of your palm where your thumb is attached. That muscle gets a lot of strain from the design of this joystick. If I knew about ergonomics I could try to fix it, but I don't :P

[edit]: another plus f the TAC-2 is two fire buttons, so fit for lefties and righteys.

Last edited by Akira; 02 October 2015 at 01:40.
Old 02 October 2015, 08:29   #65
Cpt. Hindsight

I found a TAC-2 about a year ago in the US and it was just about 20 including an Atari CX 40 and shipping to germany. It's really well, but the fire button is a little unreliable. I've read about tweeking the button with tin foil and I should give it a try, since I like every other aspect of the TAC-2.
Old 02 October 2015, 11:34   #66
eXeler0

How long is this thread gonna go on until someone realizes that there IS no single perfect joystic that is the best solution for every situation? ;-)
Old 02 October 2015, 12:08   #67
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Its not the thumb that hurts, but the part of your palm where your thumb is attached. That muscle gets a lot of strain from the design of this joystick.
Yeah, sorry, I meant that

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
How long is this thread gonna go on until someone realizes that there IS no single perfect joystic that is the best solution for every situation? ;-)
This thread is now about "share your experiences about the supposedly best joysticks"
Old 02 October 2015, 19:08   #68
Akira

My joystick is the best joystick and none of your best joysticks is the best
Old 02 October 2015, 19:42   #69
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
My joystick is the best joystick and none of your best joysticks is the best
Old 07 December 2015, 10:06   #70
s2325
Zone Friend

Anyone tried that one?

https://ia800503.us.archive.org/29/i...6_1988_Dec.pdf
Old 07 December 2015, 10:13   #71
vulture

Never tried that one, but it sure hurts my eyes! How could anyone play for more than a couple of minutes with this thing?
Old 07 December 2015, 10:17   #72
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe it's similar to Vectrex joypad, I think it wasn't too bad.
Old 08 December 2015, 15:09   #73
Cpt. Hindsight

It's looking like a remote control for a model airplane and it's certainly no match for my Microspot Flying 2000 Plus analogue Flight Stick.

Old 09 December 2015, 10:28   #74
vulture

This one:

hand made by a member of the greek amiga community, he has started producing it for a few months now using arcade parts of great quality. Just got mine yesterday and it's definitely awesome! Light on the hand, great stick response, and pure arcade fire buttons joy!
Old 09 December 2015, 10:43   #75
s2325
Zone Friend

Almost like Competition Pro, good job
Old 09 December 2015, 11:10   #76
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
This one:

hand made by a member of the greek amiga community, he has started producing it for a few months now using arcade parts of great quality. Just got mine yesterday and it's definitely awesome! Light on the hand, great stick response, and pure arcade fire buttons joy!
I noticed these on Amibay. The quality looks top notch and the retro aesthetics are spot on. Great to see more new-old manufacturing taking place.
Old 09 December 2015, 11:14   #77
vulture

It's actually much much better than competition pro, it's the closest thing to true arcade controls on miggy, I've nothing but praise for this one! And its directions can be customized , ie stick to the right or left and buttons at the opposite side instead of the buttons at the top, also customizable colours are available for the top and bottom plastics of the body!

Last edited by vulture; 09 December 2015 at 11:20.
Old 09 December 2015, 13:39   #78
eXeler0

Cool, is there a PC version out there too? Wouldnt mind playing MAME with it.
Old 09 December 2015, 15:35   #79
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

He hasn't listed one so far and not made any reference to one as far as I know. If they're as good as they look it would be well worth investing in a 9 pin to USB adapter though.
Old 09 December 2015, 16:26   #80
vulture

I'll talk to him tonight and report back as I've asked him for exactly that: if he can build a 9pin->usb for me so I can use this joystick not only on my A1200, but on the pc or pegasos2 as well. Maybe his device will be cheaper than what's already available, especially if he bundles it with his joystick.
AdSense AdSense