English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 February 2003, 23:34   #41
Jim

Shadow of The Beast II sold a shit load of Amigas......what could be more influential than that ?

Gran Turismo made me buy my Playstation.

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker - "Real" snooker at last.

Star Wars (the original arcade machine sit-in) was the first 3D blaster I remember, and the first big movie tie-in too. And it had novel joystick.

Yie Ar Kung Fu should surely replace Way Of The Exploding Fist ?

Double Dragon - how many people did not brag about how little they spent to complete this game ?

Maybe even Altered Beast for it's kick ass bad guys at the end, and it's novel power-up mode ?

<Insert-flightsim-name-here>. The Amiga example would probably be F/A-18 Interceptor. But I remember earlier sims on older machines.

Super Sprint (Arcade, with Steering wheels).

Hard Drivin' - at last a "real" car ! haha

You have Pong, which is 2 player tennis....but you're missing Arkanoid/Breakout which is a different style of game if you think about it.

That Duckshoot game - the old Atari one with the real gun.

Frogger.

Pipemania seemed pretty novel to me, or maybe Klax - one of the first "exactly-the-same-as-the-arcade" games I remember. And also Pang.

Xenon II - a game that had music to die by. First tie-in with major musician (Bomb The Bass) ?

And finally......Party Games - the invention of cybersex ! ?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 March 2003, 15:56   #42
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Any one think if including Alone in The Dark? This started the whole survival horror thing, and without this there would be no Resident Evils, Parasite Eves, and Silent Hills etc. etc. (getting a little crowded now)

Also, what about Defender of the Crown? this game sold a lot of Amigas. The graphics alone made people buy them.

And I know it sounds weird but Mario 64 should be included. This was a groundbreaking game and got 3D platformers off to a rolling start. (I know Jumping Flash on the PS was the first 3d platformer, but I think M64 gets the credit for what it did to the genre)

The trouble is when defining lists like this, you need to state the system that it was released on to bring relevance to the game.

Wolf/Doom for example both helped define FPS on the PC, however, consoles never had the same fate. Wolf and Doom on console made very little impact at all, but Turok really turned the Console FPS on it's head. Another fave is Goldeneye which was a major influence on multi-player console gaming. It was the first FPS ever that could be played 4 player without the need for extra hardware and it was the first FPS that meant that shots to different parts of the body do different amounts of damage.

I could rant on but it's mothers day tomorrow, and I need to get to the shops quick!
Old 29 March 2003, 18:02   #43
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

I would think FFVII would need to be added to the list too. It too was a defining moment in the PSX's success, & is still a measuring stick to other console RPG's to this day.

And possibly Leisure Suit Larry?? Although it wasn't innovative like Kings Quest, it was responsible for introducing people to the graphic adventure genre who'd normally wouldn't go near an adventure game. (It did have numerous sequels).
Old 09 April 2003, 20:26   #44
spiff
Oh noes!

Nominations:
Daytona USA - Most profitable arcade ever, and damn fun
Virtual Fighter - Starts the 3d fighter craze.
Ultima online - First MMorg(?)
Raiden and Radiant silvergun - Rebirth of the shmup genere.

votes for :
Baldurs gate
Halflife, not just a great game.. but the mother of all modding
Old 10 April 2003, 00:17   #45
Drake1009

FYI Ultima online wasn't the first MMORPG. It might be the first commercial one with graphics but long before that there were game engines text based running MMORPG games. I remember once watching my brother connect to an RPG server using Telnet. It played a lot like a text-adventure except you had stats, and items you could do with what you wanted. My brother had set up a nice little business in the game world. He'd go out with small groups of adventurers, defeat the evil creatures and get some of the less useful weapons. He'd take them back and pay a blacksmith to fix them and then he'd start casting rune spells on the weapons greatly increasing their value.

Sorry for going off like this though. I'm just biased against ultima online I guess and just won't want it recognized for being first with the concept of a lot of people on one server RPGing.
Old 06 May 2003, 23:15   #46
SabreGolly

BUMP! sorry, I couldn't let this thread lie - I had to get my two cents in.

I'd nominate for consideration..

Knight Lore (Most UK 8bit machines especially ZXSpectrum) - when this came out everyone was gob-smacked - every second game for about 3 years after was a clone of it - even today it looks really smart - and this was written in 1983! (released '84) - and as well as introducing a new genre, really upped the ante for developers to produce quality games.

Virus/Zarch (Amiga/Archie etc)- this made me buy my amiga! Nothing like it seen before - colourful shaded vector graphics - a control system that needed mastering, and a real sense of fear and panic. Again gave the old 3D wireframe/polygon genre a huge boost.

Pinball Dreams and sequels - apparently sold over a million worldwide on Amiga (Note to self... must check accuaracy of this statement.) Must be one of the best sellers.

Tomb Raider - love it or hate it, and especially hate the hype, but when this was just another PS/Saturn release many years ago - it hit people like a ton of bricks. Lots of old fashioned gameplay elements moulded into a fantastic looking game. Later hype and endless sequels can make people forget how wonderful it was the first time they played this.

Oh and must second FFVII for 7-Zark-7 - my feelings for this game can't be put into words.

These would be at the top of my list, anyway.
Old 06 May 2003, 23:34   #47
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by SabreGolly
Knight Lore (Most UK 8bit machines especially ZXSpectrum) - when this came out everyone was gob-smacked - every second game for about 3 years after was a clone of it - even today it looks really smart - and this was written in 1983! (released '84) - and as well as introducing a new genre, really upped the ante for developers to produce quality games.
Damn fine game.
Old 07 May 2003, 11:00   #48
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I second Zarch. For some reason I never liked virus. The control scheme was a lot better on Zarch, you could perform quicker movements and it had a better feeling. Virus seemed too loose and a bit spongey to me.

The pinball series was amazing. Dreams, Fantasies and Illusions all made some serious hours of fun. And to be honest no pinball game has ever come close. Especially not the one you get free with Windows.

I also second tomb raider. People forget that it came out on the Saturn first (some people forget it came out on the Saturn at all) but the Sony machine realised a good thing and bagged the exclusive rights for a while. Until that awful Dreamcast port was made. Dear oh dear what a poor conversion.

FFVII - Enough said about that one already. *cue highwind music*

I'd give a vote for Zelda on the Snes too. It was one of the best (and only) action-rpgs and frankly it kicked serious ass. It wasn't the first Zelda but it was certainly (IMO) the best.
Old 07 May 2003, 23:16   #49
SabreGolly

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla

The pinball series was amazing. Dreams, Fantasies and Illusions all made some serious hours of fun. And to be honest no pinball game has ever come close. Especially not the one you get free with Windows.
Well - I consider 'Slamtilt' the zenith of Pinball on the amiga - , even though none of the tables are as fine as 'Law'n'Justice' in Pinball Illusions, at least all 4 tables were seriously playable -unlike the other two in Illusions - which were a bit pants, to be honest. But not as influential - as the topic says.

Quote:
I'd give a vote for Zelda on the Snes too. It was one of the best (and only) action-rpgs and frankly it kicked serious ass. It wasn't the first Zelda but it was certainly (IMO) the best.
Never played it, but just got the GBA version - supposed to be the same game - looking forward to many hours in bed with this!
Old 07 May 2003, 23:32   #50
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Wipeout made my buy the PSX, the sheer speed of the game is impressive, can't think of any other racing games that matches the speed of wipeout, the visuals are great and the music matches the gameplay perfectly...
Old 08 May 2003, 00:02   #51
SabreGolly

Yeah - Wipeout is cool. Really brought gaming to the masses. All the PS games were good - a bit disappointed with the PS2 wipeout fusion though...

Going back a bit - Jim mentioned SOTB II - has anyone got anywhere in that game without cheating? - it is ROCK SOLID! How pissed off must you have been to have paid 25 quid for that and you're dead within 2 minutes and it's NOT YOUR FAULT- every time! (maybe I'm just crap at it...)
Old 08 May 2003, 01:53   #52
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I forgot all about wipeout, definitely a massive influence on gaming. It did do a lot to introduce gaming to the masses, and it had a lot of big collaborations with musicians.

It was well balanced too, some of those later levels where rock solid. Who'd have thought it all started from F-Zero?

SOTB 2 was impossible. I thought the first one was hard!

I gave up on it because it was just too damn difficult to get into.

The new Zelda rocks as well by the way.
Old 09 May 2003, 00:13   #53
SabreGolly

Quote:
The new Zelda rocks as well by the way.
I have been thinking for a while of getting a gamecube - especially when Argos were doing them dead cheap (apologies to non UK peeps - Argos (n) catalogue shop; famed for high quality jewellry dept. (sarcasm)) - however still be a big spend top get a few top games.

How many gamecube releases would make it into this top 50 though? Haven't seen anything yet to make me REALLY excited but then I've not seen the new Zelda, and FF crystal chronicles is still to come...

I feel a chi-ching coming on.
AdSense AdSense