oldpx

phantasy star !
phantasy star !
phantasy star !

AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 December 2002, 00:48   #22
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

space war should definitly be on there, it certaintly did start the ball rolling in the first place, but pong should remain as it was the first one to reach the masses
Old 31 December 2002, 01:06   #23
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Antiriad's list looks very good to me Could anyone enlighten me about a few games though? I don't know those, so could you tell me what their 'importance' is:
Half-Life
Planescape: Torment
The Eidolon
Way Of The Exploding Fist

In addition, I'd replace Championship Manager with Football Manager. As for Zork, this game got the genre running commercially, but Adventure invented it - hard to decide what's more important, I can live with both
Old 31 December 2002, 01:16   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
As for Zork, this game got the genre running commercially, but Adventure invented it - hard to decide what's more important, I can live with both
Yes, it would be an injustice if Adventure was left off.
Old 31 December 2002, 01:41   #25
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Half Life I included for its influence on present day fps's.
It essentially waved in the second generation of the genre as it invloved more than just simply shooting random beasties and collecting keys. Its introduction of mods - in particular Counterstrike also makes it stand out. That said, its still a goddam fps which derives from Wolfenstein 3d, so hey could be lobbed off.

Planescape: Torment, ive never personally heard of, but its mentioned several times now. Guess these people can explain.

The Eidolon. A 3d environment game (although it probably uses a 2d trick also) by Lucasfilm in 1985/86 on 8 bit computerss - before Phantasy Star. A very early fps (before Driller even)

Way Of The Exploding Fist. This came out before and heavily influenced IK+. Its not so humourous, but its style is near identical and along with Kung Fu Master is one of the earliest beat em ups. Still, you could argue IK+ had mroe impact.
Old 31 December 2002, 01:55   #26
LordBug

Quote:
In general, I wouldn't add any 'second parts' to the list, because they obviously can't be the really groundbreaking ones. 75% of Speedball 2 for example is just Speedball "1"! That also goes for 'informal' follow-ups like Quake (covered by Doom or Wolfenstein 3D) or Master of Magic (mixture of Civilization and Master of Orion).
For the most part, I agree that sequels aren't good enough to be more influential than the first one, however, you picked the exceptions

Speedball 2 is, without a doubt, a FAR superior game to Speedball. It's definately much more influential than the original. Hell, Speedball 2 is coming out on GBA soon, not Speedball.

Quake is hardly a follow up. I would consider Doom a follow-up/evolution from Wolfenstein 3D, but Quake re-defined the whole mess. Everyone stood up and took notice of Quake, like they did with Wolfenstein 3d (anyone remember Ken's Labrynth?). Quake really got the whole "true 3d" gaming jump started. (I can't think of a better wording, but I think you understand)

Never played Master of Magic, so I can't argue with you on that one

@Djay - I forgot about Space War, whoops.

@Burseg - we're not listening! la la la la la la la

@Creosote - Lemme try and clear this up some:
-Half-Life - The first really story driven FPS. Spawned numerous mods, including the ever infamous Counter Strike.

-Planescape: Torment - Another Baldur's Gate clone, IMO. Not sure why it's being kicked around so much. Although, D&D in the planes has always fascinated me.....

-The Eidolon - I need this one explained too. I'm drawing a blank on what this one is.

-Way of the Exploding Fist - 8 bit martial arts GREATNESS. Dig out your C64 collection and look it up (or emu it, whichever ). I logged so many hours in this one that I cannot believe I forgot about it.

@Twistin - Agreed. Adventure should definately make the list. I was going to edit my original list with it, but this way works too

Finally.... @Antiriad - now we just you to justify all 50 of those
Old 31 December 2002, 01:56   #27
oldpx

It cannot be told what torment is, you have to live it yourself

It uses the same engine with baldur's gate but it
's WAY different. Tormant is the most original RPG of the last decade but not the best and most entertaining one but just original. This game is so well thought that you may think it's really non-linear. For example, you can die in this game anytime you wish YET use it for your own favor if you're smart. This made me remember Robin Hood, it's gameplay was nearly non-linear, very similar to torment's. Anyway I'm supporting these titles especially Planescape: Torment. It's NOT a RPG like any other. Not everyone likes it though, I personally can't finish it for there are too much dialogue and I'm easily bored.

Last edited by Burseg; 31 December 2002 at 02:03.

Old 31 December 2002, 02:10   #28
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

planescape torment certaintly is an excellent game, not sure how influential it's been though.

as for fist, well it is one of the earliest beat em ups but lets not forget about ik+'s predecessor, international karate which i think came out around the same time
Old 31 December 2002, 02:15   #29
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

and how about summer/winter games or perhaps track & field
Old 31 December 2002, 05:05   #30
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

BAAAH, I leave for 2 days, and look what it happens! A great tread I am missing.

Herzog Zwei is a GREAT game, and yes, it reminds me a little bit of Dune 2. In Herzog Zwei you control a ship, and you have a main base. In your main base, you can develop new units, like tanks and soldiers and stuff, and then you can use your ship to deploy them where you want. Your ship can also shoot and destroy the enemy units. Oh, and the game is played in a split-screen, so you can see all your enemy is doing. The game is GREAT in 2 players mode. The game actually is more a cross of a Shoot'em up with a strategy game, so I don't know if it can be called an RTS.

But it can't be called influential, as Herzog Zwei is actually a SEQUEL. Herzog , the 1st game, was publised for MSX , in 1987 if I remember correctly, and it plays a lot like Herzog Zwei, without the split-screen , and of course more simplier. Yet it's a great game, and it's has more emphasis in the shoot'em up area than Herzog Zwei.

X-Com (or UFO: Enemy Unknown ), can't be called influential. It's basically Laser Squad with some boring management stuff throw in.

There was a game called Bomberman for NES, and it's older than Dynablaster for PC-Engine, yes. But this NES game doesn't have the multiplayer option (Only the single player mode), and I think that's the real nice thing with Dynablaster and the follow-up bomberman games. And even before NES' Bomberman, there was Bomberman for MSX .. that's where the series begun, back in 1985. Bomberman for MSX has only single player mode, played in single screen stages, and it can easily called crap (Like 95% of the stuff Hudson made for the MSX).

Mario Bros was the first "Single screen, kill all enemies" platform game ever, and influented games like Bubble Bobble and Parasol Stars.

And I don't think we need to say why Super Mario Bros was influential.

I want to add Xevious to the list, as it was the 1st vertical shmup ever.

Maybe Robotron could be added to. Its control method was copied over and over through the year, and inspired games like Smash TV, Total Carnage and Bangaioh (I never played this one, though).

Pole Position, because I think it was the first sprite-based racing game to use a real wheel, and take advantage of it and also it was basically the set-up for the racing games that would come later (Including Lotus series and all).

Dragon's Lair , being crap and all, should be considered influential.
Old 02 January 2003, 00:56   #31
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

First of all, thanks for all your explanations concerning the games I didn't know - there is always something new to learn left

LordBug: Speedball / Speedball 2 might be right, but I just can't agree on Quake. It got far less attention than Doom here and as for being the first 'true' 3D game, I seem to remember some before it. Descent for example. I have to confess I never really followed that genre though.

One genre which is still missing completely is hex-strategy (for the lack of a better term). In the 80s, it was one of the greatest genres, a huge amount of titles appeared! Some old SSI game would probably be fitting there, but I can't name one at the moment......
Old 02 January 2003, 12:38   #32
manicx

KICK OFF 2 SHOULD BE THERE...
Old 02 January 2003, 15:31   #33
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Remember people, this list is about influential games, not your favourite games!

I would say that means that slideshow games like Myst should be included, because of the massive impact it had in gaming - e.g. selling millions of copies - for good or bad and even if we don't like the game.

The same goes for The Sims. It has signalled a move for gaming to become popular among previous non-gamers.

Of course, I wouldn't want to include these sorts of games in a list, but it is a list of influential games...

Wolfenstein 3D was in no way as influential as Doom! People bought PCs just to play Doom...
Old 02 January 2003, 15:39   #34
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett

Wolfenstein 3D was in no way as influential as Doom! People bought PCs just to play Doom...
Agreed, and Id say SOTB did the same for a lot of Amiga sales.
Old 02 January 2003, 17:21   #35
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I don't think this works.
At the end of the millenium, there was a top 100 list for everything from movies to toilet paper. Hell man, it's all up to YOU.
You're all individuals, you've all got to work it out for yourslves!!
Old 02 January 2003, 17:22   #36
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Hey, you sound like Brian!
Old 02 January 2003, 21:55   #37
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

What about those juniper bushes?
Old 03 January 2003, 05:41   #38
LordBug

Quote:
Wolfenstein 3D was in no way as influential as Doom!
I actually disagree with this. Wolfenstein 3D got the whole thing going. IMO, it had a much bigger impact on 3D FPS games then Doom did.

Quote:
Remember people, this list is about influential games, not your favourite games!
I've tried to keep my list that way. Of course, it does list games I do like, and ones I think are influential Myst, for example, very much impacted CD-ROM based gaming. I hate Myst. Thus I didn't think of it, and didn't list it.
Old 03 January 2003, 05:52   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBug
I actually disagree with this. Wolfenstein 3D got the whole thing going. IMO, it had a much bigger impact on 3D FPS games then Doom did.
Agreed. Whilst Doom became a bigger cultural phenomenon, this was more based on the fact that PC's were becoming more mainstream in the home. But when Wolfenstein 3D came out, it caused quite a stir and frankly influenced the entire FPS genre that we all know and hate today.
Old 03 January 2003, 16:49   #40
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Doom did make everybody buy network cards for lan parties, so I say it was more influential.

I mean whats a FPS without network play?
AdSense AdSense