English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 December 2002, 21:31   #1
Time Bandit

another amiga scene history died today!!!

The Party 2002 now officially sux

The competent pc + amiga demo groups have boycotted The Party 2002 resulting in cancellation of the intro & demo competitions - moving the few entries to a combined 64k/demo/wild compo, which can at best be described as utter crap. Perhaps this was a result of the demo prizes only being 1/4 of e.g. the CounterStrike competition.

Therefore another amiga history died, the biggest and best scene party, formed by wellknown amiga guys in the 90ties has become a gaming LAN party.

It has nothing more to do with the demo amiga spirit.

Also german Mekka Symbosium party 2003 is cancelled, the demo scene is fading away.

thanks anway to all demo groups, making me really enjoy their art of work for the last 12 years.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 December 2002, 22:16   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: another amiga scene history died today!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Time Bandit
Therefore another amiga history died, the biggest and best scene party, formed by wellknown amiga guys in the 90ties has become a gaming LAN party.
Leave it to the stoopid PC 'scene' to fuck things up. There goes the neighbourhood...
Old 29 December 2002, 22:39   #3
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
are there any Amiga only scene parties anymore... even the PC scene parties turn into just LAN parties... which is crap cos everyone can play games remotely now (broadband=no lag)

sad.. sad.. sad
Old 30 December 2002, 01:04   #4
Ash
Zone Friend

That sux, is there any chance at all of being brought back at some later stage?
Old 30 December 2002, 01:05   #5
LaundroMat

Why the boycott?
Old 30 December 2002, 01:08   #6
kriz

the scene aint dead, it never will ...

http://breakpoint.untergrund.net/ - scene party instead of mekkaSymposium (should be good)..

there is still a lot of other (smaller) parties with a lot of sceners . ..

check www.scenet.de for scene newz.
Old 30 December 2002, 01:49   #7
Akira

I've seen this LAN party shit going on here...

The scene is Argentina is almost non-existant.
And the ONLY scene party there is, is flooded by kiddies who scream in delight at the possibility of a free LAN party.

In the end, in a huge room with 200 computers, only 20 are sceners, the rest are kids playing their Countershite.

This year we didn't have this party. Every year I waited with excitement the day for this party to arrive, so I was VERY disappointed this year.

My call is: do you need teh fucking LAN? Back then with teh C64s and stuff there was no fucking LAN.

I say make a party with not a single hub in it. Screw the network.
I say the only parties to look aheaad for from now on are those that focus on retro equipment. The rest are buggered.
Old 30 December 2002, 02:03   #8
Time Bandit

Quote:
Originally posted by kriz
the scene aint dead, it never will ...

http://breakpoint.untergrund.net/ - scene party instead of mekkaSymposium (should be good)..

there is still a lot of other (smaller) parties with a lot of sceners . ..

check www.scenet.de for scene newz.

perhaps there are other parties, but for myself the party was symbols of amiga history. Nearly all the big legendary amiga demos were released there. I can remember 1991 at the Party I no C64 competitions were planned and because of the pressure from c64 and amiga groups they organized the competiton for the C-64. It was some kind of spirit there, that was unbelievable.

Now it is another fuckin' LAN party with Conter Strike, Unreal 2K3 and i can understand the boycott. The winner for the CS competition gets 4.000 € ( as well as the Unreal / Warcraft / Battlefield Winner ) and the winner of the amiga/pc demo competition gets 1.000€ . It is a shame.

Old 30 December 2002, 02:34   #9
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Time Bandit
perhaps there are other parties, but for myself the party was symbols of amiga history. Nearly all the big legendary amiga demos were released there. I can remember 1991 at the Party I no C64 competitions were planned and because of the pressure from c64 and amiga groups they organized the competiton for the C-64. It was some kind of spirit there, that was unbelievable.

Now it is another fuckin' LAN party with Conter Strike, Unreal 2K3 and i can understand the boycott. The winner for the CS competition gets 4.000 ? ( as well as the Unreal / Warcraft / Battlefield Winner ) and the winner of the amiga/pc demo competition gets 1.000? . It is a shame.
Someone should set up a scene party with lan for the kiddies out there and make them subsidise the prizes for the demo party... I wonder if that would work?

Its sad to hear where all these scene parties are going. Retro computing culture is slowly fading away.
Old 30 December 2002, 03:13   #10
Akira

I repeat: fuck the LAN. There's no need for a LAN in a scene party. Need to swap stuff between sceners? Use your favorite removable media.

What's the point of having a LAN setup in one? To vote? make it more old-fashioned style, no need for an electronic votesystem. I dunno. I say it's unneeded. From my little experience at this kind of parties, I say the LAN means pish all to the organization of a demoparty. I bet they do it to attract the crowd, but is it a needed crowd? is it the people you want to attend yoru party?

The fact that a Countershite tourney winner gets more than a demo compo winner is disgusting. The demo creators use their creativity and skills to make one bloody nice piece of art. What productive thing does the countershite player do?

Then you ask why I hate FPSes. Here's yet another reason :P
Old 03 January 2003, 20:39   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Big demo parties usually have corporate sponsors, right?

If that's the case then no doubt demo party organisers have been pressured or "persuaded" by these sponsors to organise LAN parties to get bigger crowds at these events.
Bigger crowds = greater exposure to the sponsor's products = greater (potential for) sales.

Long live globalisation (big yay!)

Then again maybe I'm way off target here on this one.........
Old 03 January 2003, 21:18   #12
Frog

As scene seems to became smaller and smaller each years, Parties were great to offer ppl to meet them together. If it turn into LAN then perhaps it's simply due because ppl move into others interests..
I hate these sentence but "i remember in the old days" no party was needed to release a demo. Lot of prods were done for fun, also to show their skills but with the growing popularity of some party such as The Party or Mekka, it became a business. The friendship turn into a real competition, the good point is that it really give some good demos. Believe me or not but i remember seeing Gengis/COMPLEX hide behind a box of paperboard to not allow ppl to see his demos. Nice paranoia. I don't know if he got some fun at this party but ppl around get some
Of course it wasn't a majority of people. I remember these good days, i think they can't be the same now, it's a bit as trying to get the same fun i got in the past with those old games. I recently discover some old games i never play before such as Dune II and was really enjoy with it whereas playing to Turrican quickly bored me. I've not play to recent games on PS2 or others consoles but i think i could have some fun such as RCK seems to get at each new Shoot'em up

BTW i think sceners want to be "recognized" for their work, get some attention from software companies, now they get it.
Old 03 January 2003, 21:45   #13
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
People get older and move on, platforms die out. Once you start having to bride people with cash prizes its not the same scene anymore. I remember all the cool intro's people used to package for the c64 releases. People did this to show off, and for friendly competition. The only recognition/prize they got was to have the best demo out at the time and anybody in the scene would know thier names, the lamers would just wonder how they could do what they did.

These days the parties sound like they are held by the lamers for the lamers so why would a coder even bother to show up. If you can make a killer demo (for any machine) you just put your name on it and it bounces around the net in seconds. The internet has changed the cracking/demo/asci scene, it happens get over it. You still have your memories to remind you of the good old days.
Old 03 January 2003, 21:54   #14
§ane

It's becoming more evident, the FPS genre is a cancer, and in relation to online gaming, an epidemic.
Old 03 January 2003, 22:13   #15
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by §ane
It's becoming more evident, the FPS genre is a cancer, and in relation to online gaming, an epidemic.
Some FPS games are fun to blow off steam once and a while

Including original Tribes, Unreal tournament 1, quakeworld was fun for a while also.

RTS games are also big online Age of Kings (my favorite), Age of Mythology.

Each type has it place, and since very few fun single player games are coming out with good AI, FPS RTS and Everquest crap is whats coming off the production line.
Old 03 January 2003, 22:46   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The best RTS's are the Sudden Strike and Close Combat series. Love that stuff.
Old 03 January 2003, 23:52   #17
Time Bandit

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
The best RTS's are the Sudden Strike and Close Combat series. Love that stuff.

don't miss the new sudden strike evolution called blitzkrieg.

AdSense AdSense