English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 August 2015, 19:14   #1
mjnurney

Commodore phone trademark issue

The new upcoming ‘Commodore’ Smartphone got a lot of attention (good and bad) in the past few months, but it looks like they don’t own the rights to use the Commodore brand after all. They were actually trying to register a new trademark using the same name.

The actual owner of all Commodore-related brands is the company C= Holdings B.V., which has sent out a press-release making very clear that:
C=Holdings B.V. hereby announces that it has not granted any rights to CBM for making use of the COMMODORE trademark, nor that C=Holdings B.V. has any involvement in the development and marketing of its products. C=Holdings B.V. will vigorously defend its rights in this matter.
The smartphone maker new trademark application is now showing the status ‘Opposed’, which is filed by C= Holdings on August 11th.

C= Holdings B.V. itself doesn’t seem to be doing anything interesting with the brand they own, but that doesn’t give the rights to other companies to take over the Commodore name and do whatever they want with it. The Italian company filed the trademark application as Commodore Business Machines with headquarters in London- UK back in May, and the opposition was filed only yesterday, which means no decision was made so far.

If you are one of those dreaming about a Commodore Smartphone, maybe it is time to give up on that dream. Now, if you are one of the many thinking a Commodore Smartphone is a sacrilege against Commodore legacy, maybe it is time to start to celebrate. -

Have you ordered this phone ? if its by paypal you can claim it back

See more at: http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/so....noocC0a7.dpuf

http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/so...-after-all-eh/

Last edited by prowler; 16 August 2015 at 00:33.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 August 2015, 09:59   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

as expected.
Old 15 August 2015, 10:34   #3
modrobert
old bearded fool

mjnurney,

vBulletin ate your links, the sucky '....' url shortener strikes again.
Old 15 August 2015, 12:16   #4
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

I do find it amusing that there are people out there who think they can use defunct (and highly respected) brand names of old to push/sell their crap. What were they thinking?! I hope the right holders sue them
Old 15 August 2015, 17:13   #5
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I do find it amusing that there are people out there who think they can use defunct (and highly respected) brand names of old to push/sell their crap. What were they thinking?! I hope the right holders sue them
What were they thinking? To cash in on nostalgia, which really works. I saw a bunch of people interested in this piece of shit just because they were nostalgic.
Old 16 August 2015, 00:21   #6
Kitty
Canít rain all the time..

The two links in first post don't work for me, here's a working link http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/so...-after-all-eh/
Old 16 August 2015, 00:35   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks, Kitty.

I've edited the corresponding link in the first post.
Old 18 August 2015, 19:21   #8
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What were they thinking? To cash in on nostalgia, which really works. I saw a bunch of people interested in this piece of shit just because they were nostalgic.
Appears to be a trend for this kind of thing nowadays.

I'm just watching someone selling a product on television. They're touting that the company has been going for 100 years +. Checking around I can see the original manufacturer closed in 2005 - so someone has obviously bought the trademark and is selling cheap tat off the back of a recognised/trusted name (not in the case of whoever tried to rip off the C= branding with these phones).

Another one I've seen a lot of is old 'British' watch makers... made in China Bloody con-merchants.
Old 18 August 2015, 20:51   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Another one I've seen a lot of is old 'British' watch makers... made in China Bloody con-merchants.
Just like Panasonic, shipping all tv's in pieces and assembling them in UK, just so they could stick "Made in the UK" on them.
Old 20 August 2015, 09:12   #10
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Commodore is dead and buried. Let the company rest in piece.
Old 20 August 2015, 11:18   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I totally called it a month ago:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1030763&postcount=3

I suppose that the upside of being an italian is that you can recognise their ways from miles away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
They somehow got an hold of the Commodore license (and even so, I wouldn't be so sure of that - they conduct business in truly questionable ways in Italy, usually "forgetting" to do stuff like licensing until later)
I'd also like to add this other delicious tidbit of info from the original source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga-news.de
Yesterday, Cloanto - owner of the copyright of most software released by Commodore and Amiga - issued a press release aswell, stating that Canigiani is not in a position to include software emulations of old Commodore computers with his smartphone since he does not have a license for the required firmware.
Source: http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-...-00032-EN.html
AdSense AdSense