English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 July 2015, 12:11   #21
rabindranath72

Thanks, got the latest beta .exe.
Re-installed WinUAE on a different PC, with a different OS (Windows 7 Professional)
Bottom line: doesn't frigging work.
Tried both with manual setting of CHS (RDB enabled) and no manual setting of CHS (RDB enabled). A590 roms ver. 7. A2091 1.30 install disk dms. KS 1.3, A500 1MBchip+1Mb slow.
I created a 21 Mb image, then set A590 controller, XT, SASI CHS, RDB enable. From there, the two attempts at manual geometry (782/2/27) and no manual geometry (the shaded boxes are left at 0).

From the logs, it seems always the same frigging CHS geometry is read (612/4/17) regardless of manual or no manual setup. So I think it's no wonder that it doesn't work. HD Toolbox allows me to set the WD device configuration, but on a reboot I can't see anything, the configuration is not "hold" by the hard disk (if I run HD Toolbox I must *again* select WD) and if I try the HD Format program, it doesn't even find DH0:
So, yeah back to square one. Well, not really, because I really think I am done with emulation

No chance at all to share your configuration file or zipped image, eh?

This whole thing is supposed to be deterministic, for Pete's sake. I can't see how we get totally different results with the same frigging software.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae_debug_XT_manual_WD.zip (36.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: zip winuae_debug_XT_nomanual.zip (68.0 KB, 215 views)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 July 2015, 15:56   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Your winuae.exe version is still the same old one. (with bugs included).

Quote:
WinUAE 3.2.0 (Public Beta 5, 2015.07.28) (6.3 [1]) 32-bit 0.6.3708 4 15:41
Timestamp "15:41" should have changed.

EDIT: Date changed to 07.29.

612/4/17 will appear in the log, it is normal. I used WD drive definition (with different geometry than 612/4/17). Problem is something else (possibly bug that only triggers when using your exact config or something) if drive type disappears after reboot. It has nothing to do with geometry, even totally wrong geometry will stay between resets.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 29 July 2015 at 16:24.
Old 30 July 2015, 12:03   #23
rabindranath72

I don't think it was a problem of caching, I have stored all the binaries, and they have all different lengths.

Last attempt: nothing works.
Here's some log files. It seems that setting autoboot on or off makes a huge difference.
1) Manual CHS, no autoboot: the emulation seems to do nothing; I left it running for 6 minutes
2) Manual CHS, autoboot enabled: WinUAE crashes
3) Auto CHS, no autoboot: I get to the workbench, but when I start HD Toolbox I don't get the WD93028 entry in the drive select option. If I create a new geometry (CHS 612 etc.) it allows me to "save changes" but on reboot it's not recognised, and with a further attempt at calling HD Toolbox AmigaOS crashes.
4) Auto CHS, autoboot: WinUAE crashes.

Anyway, this is my last attempt. Right now WinUAE has sank at the bottom of my priorities; I simply can't waste time on it anymore; it's just frustrating. I have very limited time to devote to what is essentially a secondary hobby, and I'd rather spend it writing actual Amiga code than blindly debugging WinUAE

Furthermore, I honestly don't understand your reticence in sharing your configuration file and/or formatted XT image (after compression it's just a small file). Rather than wasting time for a week blindly shooting in the dark trying to hit the "right" configuration (if it even exists), I could have tried your configuration to see how that worked. At least we could have excluded configuration as a problem, and actually aim at finding where the issue is. It's clear there are issues somewhere if WinUAE can't handle the A2091 drivers, either due to my configuration, or my hardware, or whatever.

Since my aim is to use MINIX on WinUAE, using your XT formatted hdf image I could have answered the question of MINIX compatibility with WinUAE straight away; it could have led to another improvement for WinUAE. I realise I may be the only one interested in MINIX on WinUAE, but as a matter of completeness in WinUAE development it might have been interesting in its own right. Oh well.

So...take the above as "constructive criticism." I'll be honest: unless you are willing to share your configuration and/or the XT formatted hdf, I am not going to spend more time with WinUAE; if it's my fault, I'd like to know what I am doing wrong. Otherwise, the whole enterprise looks pretty pointless to me

Regards,
Antonio
Attached Files
File Type: zip lastdebug.zip (112.9 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by rabindranath72; 30 July 2015 at 12:48.
Old 30 July 2015, 13:45   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I didn't share any files because it would not have made any sense, it woulds not have helped, there is obviously bug somewhere and even if you'd had my config or hdf, you would still have triggered the bug, sooner or later. In worst case it would only have made the bug hidden. It needs to be fixed first, it has 100% priority.

winuae.7z updated, I am now quite sure the real bug is now fixed. It probably triggered very regularly with your config because it had cycle exact enabled. (It still happens with other modes but only very randomly which made finding it quite difficult). Above version also includes lots of XT logging so if you still have problems, attach it.

I still haven't managed to duplicate the crash but hopefully it was just a side effect of the real bug. Unfortunately dump files are useless unless it was created with official beta so if you still get a crash, you need to wait for next beta first.
Old 30 July 2015, 18:02   #25
rabindranath72

OK, tried the new version, now I can format under XT protocol, and it seems stable, at least under AmigaDOS. So should "cycle exact" be kept unchecked?
Haven't tried MINIX yet, probably not before the next week.
Thanks for the fix!
Old 30 July 2015, 18:22   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Cycle-exact is usually not needed when running non-game/demo programs, it only makes emulation slower. Unless you want to duplicate correct (slow) speed but note that HD expansion hardware (including external DMA controllers) are not emulated cycle-exactly.

Fastest possible with turbo floppy mode probably works fine in MINIX and makes it much nicer to use
Old 30 July 2015, 22:04   #27
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Toni,

I've had a play with this and I'm struggling to get the HD to format.

I've tried 3 different sizes of HDF, 21, 30 & 80mb.

Last edited by Arnie; 12 October 2015 at 20:54.
Old 30 July 2015, 22:08   #28
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

RDB mode is not enabled.
Old 30 July 2015, 22:12   #29
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hmm, strange, I did enable it before booting. With the RDB disabled the format gets to the last 15 then fails.

Old 30 July 2015, 22:19   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Cylinder 1600? That is out of bounds for XT drives. Old pre-SCSI/IDE drives = you must use EXACTLY correct geometry or bad things will happen.
Old 30 July 2015, 22:27   #31
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

What is the correct geometry? No matter what size HDF is used it always says 20mb.

I don't touch any settings other than change WDH0: to DH0: in HDToolBox

I just tried with a 21mb HDF and the results are the same, also after the failed format the drive definitions are reset.

Old 30 July 2015, 22:38   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

A590 install disk comes with WD93028 drive definition, use it. You must also tick manual geometry in HDF settings and use same geometry values (cyl=782,head=2,sector=27) before partitioning the drive.

EDIT: HDF file can be too large, it does not cause any problems. (and it is safer than trying to get it exactly right)
Old 30 July 2015, 23:03   #33
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I saw that geometry in post #21 but never used it as the OP said it didn't work. I got it working now, thanks.

BTW, how did you get the geometry? Is it something worth adding to the GUI for WD93028 settings?
Old 31 July 2015, 06:40   #34
Magic

Sorry I wasn't sure how to use thumbnails Here are some pictures of the XT Hard Card that I am using in my A1060 side car. I can pull the Bios chip and try to read it unless someone knows how to grab the ROM with software.

Here is another XT controller but the BIOS is soldered on this one. It's an OMTI 5527 RLL card.

Does anyone know the easiest way to make a bootable image of the HD with Ms-Dos? I can put it in the Zone.

[EDIT] It looks like there are quite a few xt bios images here;

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm

Last edited by Magic; 31 July 2015 at 08:51.
Old 31 July 2015, 10:02   #35
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Does anyone know the easiest way to make a bootable image of the HD with Ms-Dos? I can put it in the Zone.
What sort of image is it? PCDos/Amiga?
Old 31 July 2015, 10:08   #36
rabindranath72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I saw that geometry in post #21 but never used it as the OP said it didn't work. I got it working now, thanks.

BTW, how did you get the geometry? Is it something worth adding to the GUI for WD93028 settings?
Yes it doesn't work with WinUAE stable. With the latest beta it works now thanks to Toni's fix.
If you want to know more about the WD drive, look here:
http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Wester..._Install_Guide

I haven't tried with different geometries for bigger sizes (e.g. increase number of heads), so I don't know whether it would still work.
Old 31 July 2015, 15:10   #37
rabindranath72

So, I have done some tests to create some file systems on MINIX partitioned drives, and it seems to work! What's more, it now works with SCSI too, whereas previously it didn't. Thanks again for the fix!

Do you think the new beta is stable enough for "routine" use? (well, for MINIX routine use, that is.)
Old 31 July 2015, 16:39   #38
mark_k

You should be able to use DEBUG.COM (part of MS-DOS) to dump the card's BIOS to floppy disk, I think.
Old 05 August 2015, 10:59   #39
rabindranath72

After further testing, it still doesn't work. Now I can format under AmigaDOS, and when I go in MINIX it allows creation of a filesystem, but when I start using the disk "massively" (for installation of MINIX on the hard drive) I start getting random writing errors. This happens both for SCSI and XT. It happens both with and without cycle-exact.
So, there's a sort of "improvement" in that at least now things seem to work under AmigaDOS.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to debug for the foreseeable future, hopefully Toni will be able to dig a bit deeper into this issue.
Old 05 August 2015, 11:41   #40
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No need to debug anything just few log lines showing the SCSI command and returning error would show some hints. (for example if it is LBA out of bounds or some other error)

Also at least Amix's FS can corrupt very easily if system is reset or switched off without proper OS shutdown sequence.
AdSense AdSense