English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 July 2015, 20:51   #1
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Nintendo's Cuboid Game Thingy

I've just been given a Game Cube and was wondering what to do with it given that I've never been a big Nintendo fan and mostly lost interest in modern gaming in the late nineties.

Are there many good retro-styled games for the system? I've heard of the Midway and Namco collections, but am clueless otherwise.

I believe the Wii is backwards compatible with Game Cube games and that has led lots of people to shun the Cube so it has little re-sale value.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 July 2015, 21:02   #2
-Acid-

It's got great controllers, Metroid Prime is a must play through at least once.
Old 22 July 2015, 21:03   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

If you can find one, the Gameboy player addon lets you play GB/GBC games.

Later Wii consoles dropped the ablity to play GC games.
Old 22 July 2015, 23:11   #4
Akira

Lots of great games. Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart!
Old 23 July 2015, 00:26   #5
Graham Humphrey

Get hold of Chibi-Robo if you can
Old 23 July 2015, 05:39   #6
modrobert
old bearded fool

Resident Evil 4
Old 23 July 2015, 07:09   #7
ransom1122

Emulating gamecube is pretty poor. And only the first generation of wii's can play GC games. Doing a google search for top 10 gamecube Games shows not only the games the guys Mentoned above but many more like zelda, smario sunshine, Luigis mansion etc etc. Even if you don't play it. Store it and keep it they'll always be worth more in time.

If you get serious with it look into a Nintendo GameCube SD adapter.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:50   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Emulating gamecube is pretty poor.
Dolphin 4.0 late builds aren't that bad if you have a modern PC. You can play Metroid Prime through and it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
And only the first generation of wii's can play GC games.
That first generation was 2006 until 2011. That's a lot of Wii's. Plus the Nintedont app for modded Wii's (and WiiU's) let's you play GameCube games on the other Wii's with no controller ports
Old 23 July 2015, 10:07   #9
Daedalus

Yep, the Gamecube has the nicest controllers I've ever used on any platform. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are fantastic, as are F-Zero GX, Zelda: Windwaker, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Star Wars: Rogue Leader and others that people have mentioned. Also, games that weren't Nintendo exclusives tend to be good ports with smoother graphics than their PS2 / Xbox counterparts. Extreme G 3, Timesplitters 2 and Cel Damage are a few I can think of off the top of my head. All fantastic games, especially the multiplayer mode of Timesplitters!
Old 23 July 2015, 13:17   #10
junosix

Killer 7 is terrifically mental.
Old 23 July 2015, 15:12   #11
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
That first generation was 2006 until 2011. That's a lot of Wii's. Plus the Nintedont app for modded Wii's (and WiiU's) let's you play GameCube games on the other Wii's with no controller ports
Yeah I have a Wii and have no need for a gC, and I didn't know about that app! Love the Wii homebrew world, The Wii is my main emulation machine.
Old 23 July 2015, 15:32   #12
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Plus the Nintedont app for modded Wii's (and WiiU's) let's you play GameCube games on the other Wii's with no controller ports
Yep 'Nintendont' is amazing and I've got about 30 gamecube games running perfect on my Wiiu hard-drive (which obviously doesn't even have official Gc backwards compatibility)... Even the triforce arcade games run 100% perfect (mario kart arcade gp2 is amazing playing it at home on my big tv). :-)
Old 23 July 2015, 19:56   #13
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

This has been a real eye-opener. I had no idea there would be so much love for the black sheep of the Nintendo family on an Amiga forum. Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I did wonder if there would be an Everdrive style device for the Game Cube and you've answered that question too. It looks like I've got some catching up to do.
Old 23 July 2015, 20:40   #14
Steve
FreelanceAndroidDeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Resident Evil 4
+1 for Resident Evil 4. Best RE game ever! Its even better on the Wii with the wireless controller and nunchuk.
Old 24 July 2015, 00:48   #15
rare_j
Zone Friend

Resident evil 4 is a contender for best game ever. Retro gamer or not, it should be tried. It is 100% pure gaming magic, start to finish.
Also worth picking up on gc if you're into games with a retro feel (but not style) is star wars rogue leader. Its not perfect but a fun and challenging 3d space shooter with short pick up and play levels.
Medroid prime 1 is a good 3d implementation of super metroid. Platforming/exploration. Very highly regarded. Probably not your thing.
Zelda 4 swords is a fun 2d zelda action game. Worth a look.
Virwtiful joe as already said is a 2d beatemup, i didnt like it but it was highly regarded at the time.
Chibi robo is a pretty heavy japanese modern exploration advanture game. Demands a lot of time and attention to play. Cannot recommend this one.
Cant think of anything else!
Old 24 July 2015, 02:06   #16
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Yep 'Nintendont' is amazing
Holy shit, no need to mess with cIOS, uses wireless Clasic controllers, and now I can play F-Zero GX from my SD card or USB drive!! Fantastic!! Thanks Alex for pointing this out to me!

It even works launched from within the latest beta of WiiFlow. I love it!
Old 24 July 2015, 02:32   #17
ransom1122

Quote:
first generation was 2006 until 2011. That's a lot of Wii's. Plus the Nintedont app for modded Wii's (and WiiU's) let's you play GameCube games on the other Wii's with no controller ports
Thx Alex. I can now look at setting up my gc games on ext hdd for my wii.
Old 24 July 2015, 09:10   #18
Bugala

@dreamkatcha

Problem with all these answers is that you specifically mentioned you havent been very interested in modern gaming after late 90s anymore, and yet they are mentioning modern games.

With this comment only it is bit difficult to suggest you games, but Im going to give a try for couple.

My own stroy is that I woudlnt so much describe as having lost my interest to modern games, but rather i dropped from the wagon and never really got back. I havent played any modern 3D RPG game, While i basically like FPS shooters, I really havent played others than Battlefield 1942 and Castle Wolfenstein plus that free multiplayer Wolfenstein game they made afterwards which name i cant recall right now.

However, I do have WII U and Gamecube both, and I have played some modern games on them. I also have noticed this Watchdogs game: [ Show youtube player ] And I am planning to buy it at some point and play it.

So saying I am not interested in modern games isnt quite right, but I do find it very hard to be interested enough to go through all the FPS games to find the one that I would like, for I am sure there is such FPS game that would be exactly what I would like, for the before mentioned have some annoying things in multiplayer mode that I very much dislike. Like that if i have machine gun, get behind three enemies, Instead of shooting them, i better go away, for there is no chance to shoot them all down since it takes multiple shots to kill them.

Anyway, this in mind, I am throwing here some games:
Retro kind:

Bust-a-Move_3000 - I havent played this one, but I have played other BUst-A-Moves. This is game where they took inspiration to Amiga game "Bubble Heroes"

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - while reviewers have given this low points, and i do understand why, I did like it. I felt it was worthy sequel to Gauntlets, but it does require that you do like those Gauntlet games since it is more of the same basically. I also felt this had quite good arcade machine feeling to it many times during the game. You can check video from here to get the idea and difference to old Gauntlets: [ Show youtube player ] (jump to about 4 minutes part)

Ikaruga - a basically 2D shoot em up: [ Show youtube player ]

Those were old kind of games, then couple of modern ones you might, or might not like.

Odama - Its a mix of pinball and some sort of real time strategy (not RTS in dune II sense): [ Show youtube player ]

Then there if you dont absolutely hate all kinds of Nintendo, then Paper Mario - A thousand year door is Super mario take on RPGs, and I personally enjoy everytime they make new release to Paper Mario, for they are RPGs but they are slightly different RPGs and so much fun. Like when you do some special attack, you need to do some Action kind of things, for example time pushing the button at right timing or repeatedly push buttons etc. for maximum effect.

Pikmin - was pretty interesting and although 3D still very 2D kind of some sort of mis of puzzle and strategy.

And if you have more people to play with (although it is entertaining enough for one two games against computers only as well) then I would also suggest checking Mario Party 7.

It is game where you compete against other players (or computer controlled characters) in minigames. And then there is this possibility of having this board game mode where each player moves on board based upon dice and then there comes minigames when you land on places, but that is not all. There are all kinds of things on that board, like you can set up traps and stuff to other players and it is also not necessarily just a straightfroward move from number 1 to 50 board, but might have multiple different roads to take and targets to aim at.

Luigis Mansion was also very much fun game, and it is short enough that you can play it through in evening or two.
Old 24 July 2015, 10:37   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugala View Post
I do have WII U I also have noticed this Watchdogs game: [ Show youtube player ] And I am planning to buy it at some point and play it.
I wouldn't If I were you.

"The frame rate problems of Watchdog are enough that you don’t really need to consider the game’s intrinsic qualities to know that this is not a title worth considering for the Wii U"
Old 24 July 2015, 10:38   #20
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I believe the Wii is backwards compatible with Game Cube games and that has led lots of people to shun the Cube so it has little re-sale value.
There are always collectors who want to play on the original hardware. Besides that, especially the controller still has a great deal of love world wide. If anything you might trigger a sale by focusing on the controller(s) and throwing in the console itself as a bonus
AdSense AdSense