Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 November 2015, 22:13   #381
TenLeftFingers

Thank you Jens - you obviously did design this for people like me

Time to upgrade !
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 November 2015, 19:30   #382
TenLeftFingers

The code on the box and the code on the card differ, although they have the same format.

Looks like I have multiple warranties The only downside is that someone else has them also!
Old 18 November 2015, 20:40   #383
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It's the code on the card that counts.
Old 18 November 2015, 21:05   #384
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
It's the code on the card that counts.
Good point. It would be cool if the ACA tool could display the number in the shel.
Old 19 November 2015, 10:57   #385
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
It would be cool if the ACA tool could display the number in the shel.
It can:
Quote:
By starting ACAcontrol without any arguments: The warranty ID of the card will be shown as "Serial".
From http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1221
Old 19 November 2015, 16:14   #386
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
The code on the box and the code on the card differ, although they have the same format.

Looks like I have multiple warranties The only downside is that someone else has them also!
The code on the box and the code on the card are identical. The only difference is the preamble when you scan the machine-readable version (#p or #k), but the 5-digit string after that is identical.

If you really have different ones, the reseller must have confused them. The way we're testing the cards and printing the codes excludes any confusion.

Jens
Old 19 November 2015, 19:02   #387
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
The code on the box and the code on the card are identical. The only difference is the preamble when you scan the machine-readable version (#p or #k), but the 5-digit string after that is identical.

If you really have different ones, the reseller must have confused them. The way we're testing the cards and printing the codes excludes any confusion.

Jens
Yes, it is (again) my mistake. The box I was looking at was from the AGA MK2cr, not the 1221.
Old 29 November 2015, 13:08   #388
Superman

I got my ACA1221 delivered last week and it works great. Decided to go the whole hog and purchased the maximum upgrades at 10pm last night. Got my unlock codes at 10am this morning (Sunday). Cannot fault Jens on his customer service.
Old 03 December 2015, 18:02   #389
Piramania

I have the "old" ACA1220 for my A1200, but unfortunately I have some issues with crashing when running WHDLoad games. I suppose this is the "timing issues" people are talking about that could be fixed with some clever soldering on the motherboard.

Is it likely that the ACA1221 will work better than the ACA1220 on an unmodified A1200, or will it be the same?

Last edited by Piramania; 03 December 2015 at 18:08.

Old 03 December 2015, 18:34   #390
TjLaZer

This card has been working great on my ACA500 after the beta flash update.
Old 04 December 2015, 02:22   #391
grobda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piramania View Post
I have the "old" ACA1220 for my A1200, but unfortunately I have some issues with crashing when running WHDLoad games. I suppose this is the "timing issues" people are talking about that could be fixed with some clever soldering on the motherboard.

Is it likely that the ACA1221 will work better than the ACA1220 on an unmodified A1200, or will it be the same?
I'd guess the same, it's mentioned in the install instructions that any/all accelerators will probably have issues with the erroneous caps.

I had to desolder a couple of caps as per the instructions. I used two irons as hot tweezers and they came off easily.

Great upgrade i unlocked everything as its pretty reasonable and why wouldn't you? stable at 28mhz

one small criticism is information is a bit sparse - a readme file, a piece of paper and various entries on a webpage. would be nice if it were collated in an actual manual.
Old 04 December 2015, 03:09   #392
spudisgood

I've had mine now over a week, I am really impressed with the design and ease of install. I am not confident with hardware by any stretch but managed to install with no fuss at all.

I have since purchased the full 63Mb and 28Mhz so then the fun can hopefully really begin without any issues.

Keep up the good work :-)

Kind regards,
Spud.
Old 04 December 2015, 08:36   #393
bubbob42

Check out the developers folder of the software distribution for more info about the additional tools that come with the card.
Old 30 December 2015, 22:00   #394
turrican9

I was always annoyed how the ACA 500 did not come with enough mem to really use whdload. Then I bought the ACA 1233 which was very expensive and had much more mem than I needed for whdload. I later put this ACA 1233 to good use in a Amiga 1200 I bought. so nowadays I'm happy with the investment I did from buying the ACA 1233. However, my ACA 500 has been unused because it was missing a good cheap accelerator card. My Amiga 600 already had a good cheap accelerator in the ACA 620 which has just enough to even whdload Beneath a steel sky. Nice and cheap option for the 600.

So when I saw this ACA 1221 I was finally able to get a cheap accelerator for my ACA 500 so I could make that usable again. I don't mind these unlock features as the whole point for me was to get something cheap for my ACA 500 that would make whdload usable. It's nice to have the upgrade path if I need it. I may unlock a bit more mem on it later on. Well, I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I think this was just the product we needed now. Nice and cheap option for both the ACA 500 and Amiga 1200 that will probably whdload almost every game in it's standard form (with no unlocks) except maybe Beneath a steel sky (will test that when I get the card).
Old 01 January 2016, 05:16   #395
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
So when I saw this ACA 1221 I was finally able to get a cheap accelerator for my ACA 500 so I could make that usable again. I don't mind these unlock features as the whole point for me was to get something cheap for my ACA 500 that would make whdload usable. It's nice to have the upgrade path if I need it.

This is exactly what Jens is aiming at, instead of having to master 5 or 6 different models, needing 5 or 6 different Crystals (for the clock speed), he masters one device, with different configurations.

Someone who wants the 9MB option (8+1) gets it at a cheaper cost than someone who wants the 64MB option (63+1), who otherwise would have said "Nah mate, not shelling out for a 64MB device just because I only want the 9MB".

The whole exercise is that Jets makes lets say 1000 devices, instead of 200 of each differing configuration. Bulk manufacture on the one device means cheaper production cost. He caters to different needs in the one unit.

The cry alot people here can go make their own device if they wish, I applaud Jens' efforts in the Amiga community.

Do people honestly cry foul at their Paytv provider for offering different packages at different costs, CableTV or Satellite, the signal (channels) is/are already there, it just depends on your package paid for as to what you get to see.
Old 05 January 2016, 21:03   #396
turrican9

So I got my ACA 1221 today. I noticed there was a jumper to put it in trial mode. I first thought that the trial mode lasted for 10 power ons as the card came. But it's only if you put it into trial mode to test the overclocking. I like that. Very nice.

So I plugged it into my ACA 500 and booted up. Working really nice in it's stock configuration with the 9MB RAM (about 7.5MB+ was available to Classic Workbench). Loading every whdload game with no problems. Only Beneath a steel sky (which is the biggest whdload game I have) would flash when loading due to running out of memory. But it worked fine when it was loaded. All other games loads very fast.

The ACA 1221 was just was I was looking for to put into my ACA 500. It does exactly what I need it to do. Since it's in the ACA 500 I have no use for the maprom function, I don't really need to overclock it for whdload games and the standard 9MB mem seems to be enough for my whdload needs. All this for a really nice price. Really nice product from Indivision, with the possibility to put it in trial mode to test the upgrade options and then upgrade it later for those who needs it.

Highly recommended for ACA 500 users or Amiga 1200 users that wants a cheap accelerator to use whdload (works fine with no upgrades/unlocks for whdload gaming) and at the same time have the option to upgrade/unlock it later down the road.

Last edited by turrican9; 05 January 2016 at 21:23.
Old 07 January 2016, 22:40   #397
turrican9

So I ordered the maprom and 9>17MB upgrades online for the ACA 1221. I got a mail telling me my order is being processed and some pdf documents in German (which I don't understand). It was not clear to me how I will get the license serials. Are they sent on my email and how long does it take for them to process the order? I was under the impression that this was on the fly. As soon as you paid and had typed your ACA 1221 serial number the unlock serials would be sent right away.
Old 07 January 2016, 22:45   #398
demolition
Unregistered User

I think they need to be created manually. At least wait until tomorrow. For the PDF files you could just paste them into google translate to figure out what they say.
Old 07 January 2016, 22:57   #399
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think they need to be created manually. At least wait until tomorrow. For the PDF files you could just paste them into google translate to figure out what they say.
Thanks for the answer. You are probably right. Good point with google translator.
Old 07 January 2016, 23:00   #400
turrican9

lol. I just got the codes from Jens on email. It didn't even take an hour. I am just too impatient
AdSense AdSense