English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 October 2015, 02:23   #361
Smakar
Amiga Fan in Phoenix

Thank you for the replies - and I'm very much looking forward to the ACA500+.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 October 2015, 13:31   #362
Nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I believe most of us posting here are not among the customers of this board anyways, so... not much to care about. Right?
On the contrary. This card was mentioned to me by one of my good friends.

After reading the sales site and info on licenses. To be honest, MASSIVE BLOODY TURN OFF.

I was interested in buying a few new accelerators. Now, yeah NO.

The idea is Dumb Shit Stuff.
Old 28 October 2015, 13:47   #363
Daedalus

@Nian

Well, there's always eBay with a regular supply of accelerators...
Old 28 October 2015, 14:03   #364
TenLeftFingers

I'm happy with mine so far. I have enough RAM to run an FTP client _with_ high screen resolutions I consider it good value already. If it proves stable over time I'll experiment with the upgrade options.

And although I expressed annoyance with another device in an earlier post, this is very simple to set up.
Old 28 October 2015, 22:46   #365
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
I would not consider it an accelerator in it's base config. It's merely a memory expansion, and being that, it's even cheaper than others, while it provides 1MByte more than others. The acceleration is moderate, but noticable in it's base config.

You can *make* it an accelerator if you spend more. Many people have done so - I consider the new pricing model a success.

And what's even better: You, among others who are criticising me, have the power to buy the product, but make sure that I - the person who introduced this evil deal - won't make any money on the sale. All you need to do is to not buy any license.

Jens
Old 31 October 2015, 00:03   #366
kolla

I may get one just to ruin it and a CD32 for shits and giggles.
Old 31 October 2015, 03:34   #367
iggybeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
... You, among others who are criticising me, have the power to buy the product, but make sure that I - the person who introduced this evil deal - won't make any money on the sale. All you need to do is to not buy any license.
Jens

I obviously don't agree with Jens about everything, BUT what he has pointed out to you is critical.
If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Its the decision of the entire marketplace as to whether a product sells or it doesn't.

Having been in sales and marketing, its a great point.
Old 31 October 2015, 04:12   #368
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nian View Post
On the contrary. This card was mentioned to me by one of my good friends.

After reading the sales site and info on licenses. To be honest, MASSIVE BLOODY TURN OFF.

The idea is Dumb Shit Stuff.
This idea is actually what allows Jens to give you much lower prices.Are you saying you want to pay a higher price for less features?

Because the bundling of features on the same board allows for very important reductions of the price compared to producing a different board model for each possible combinations.
This is just how manufacturing economics work: a single batch of boards sharing the same design and components costs *much* lower than separate smaller batches of different cards each with their own components and designs.

If you do not want unlockable features, then you must also be prepared for a much higher cost because this system allows to drastically reduce prices.

What matters is whether you get good features for the price you pay.
Jens is actually selling high end boards for the price of low end ones and you will actually pay these components only when you need them. If you don't need them you will not have to pay for their production and R&D.

Fairly reasonable if you ask me.
Old 31 October 2015, 17:21   #369
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Amazing! After all the posts, some people still can't grasp the concept of this card.
Old 04 November 2015, 12:37   #370
dodogildo

I bought this card last week (from Vesalia). Since then, I'm in love with it. I don't get why some people are opposing so consistently against this wonderful concept?!

This card:
1) is amazing! 2) relatively cheap. 3) Very small. 4) So easy to install even for a moron like me. 5) has a very streamlined upgrade process

I'm very grateful to the makers of ACA 1221 for producing a sleek modern piece of hardware for a computer of 30 years old, in 2015.

To the haters: -Why don't you produce a better, more streamlined hardware upgrade yourself, if you hate this card so much???
Old 09 November 2015, 22:43   #371
AGAbunga

Hello,

I bought this card beside my ACA500. I will buy some upgrade for it.
Is there any advantage to buy the MapROM upgrade, since the ACA500 has this function?

Old 12 November 2015, 23:01   #372
Xebec

RAM for ACA1221

Hi folks - first post to this forum. I'm an Atari ST transplant but enjoying my Amigas (500 and 1200). I have an ACA1221 on order, and I was curious what kinds of applications or games benefit from more than 9MB of FastRAM on an A1200?

The MAPROM and the 28 mhz upgrades seem great (Faster OS, Frontier Elite II), but other than maybe a web browser what else would benefit from >9MB?

Also just curious - are any of the ACA1221s coming with socketed CPUs or are they all soldered on? I assume no chance of a 68020-33 mhz chip making 42.5 mhz? (based on the dividers of the 85 mhz clock)

Thanks
John H

Old 13 November 2015, 16:38   #373
amigakit.com

ACA 1221 back in stock and available at AmigaKit.com

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1251
Old 14 November 2015, 00:04   #374
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebec View Post
I have an ACA1221 on order, and I was curious what kinds of applications or games benefit from more than 9MB of FastRAM on an A1200?

The MAPROM and the 28 mhz upgrades seem great (Faster OS, Frontier Elite II), but other than maybe a web browser what else would benefit from >9MB?
Amiga OS is a multitasking operating system, more RAM means that you can run more programs at simultaneously. For example, you may run a terminal program or TCP stack, and have many command line shells with scroll back buffers, a file manager like Directory Opus, flip back and forth between image processing software and paint or animation program, all while playing mods in the background. I am not at all exaggerating here, this is a very real life scenario
Old 16 November 2015, 03:12   #375
Xebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Amiga OS is a multitasking operating system, more RAM means that you can run more programs at simultaneously. For example, you may run a terminal program or TCP stack, and have many command line shells with scroll back buffers, a file manager like Directory Opus, flip back and forth between image processing software and paint or animation program, all while playing mods in the background. I am not at all exaggerating here, this is a very real life scenario
Fair enough - thank you

Old 16 November 2015, 04:16   #376
TjLaZer

9mb would be enough but just get the 64mb for bragging rights!
Old 16 November 2015, 23:36   #377
TenLeftFingers

Is the warranty ID on the paper that came with the device or on the device itself? I can't find the former anywhere. Was hoping not to open the machine if it's the latter but at least I know I haven't lost that
Old 17 November 2015, 00:38   #378
amigakit.com

@TenLeftFingers

If you have bought the card from us, it is shown in your AmigaKit Order History.
Old 17 November 2015, 00:43   #379
TenLeftFingers

Thanks amigakit.com
Old 17 November 2015, 10:50   #380
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Is the warranty ID on the paper that came with the device or on the device itself? I can't find the former anywhere. Was hoping not to open the machine if it's the latter but at least I know I haven't lost that
Sometimes it helps to read the documentation. The warranty ID is in three spaces:

- the box, machine-readable with a 1D-barcode (code 128)
- the unit itself, bottom side on the silver sticker with a 2D-barcode (Datamatrix)
- stored in the ACA1221, can be displayed with the ACAcontrol tool without opening the computer.

You'd have to make a lot of mistakes to lose the code ;-)

Jens
AdSense AdSense