English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 July 2015, 17:45   #1
lubas

Stupid questions from a newbie

Hi all!

Finally I bought an Amiga 2000 that is in the service for changing the battery and do the cleaning. I am using WinUAE with WB 1.3. When my AMIGA 2000 will be ok I will use it only for write my articles (not PDF, not Email) in txt. I will use Word Perfect 4.1 for this. But I am training myself using WinUAE and I have some questions (really stupids):

1.- I am creating in CLI directories using "makedir" command. But when I go to my hard drive I canīt see any icon there. For example: I type "makedir WP4.1" and I can see in CLI the directory but not in the GUI.

2.- For have a good tool I want also to install Directory Opus 4.12 but when I type "copy df0: wb1.3/DirOpus all" the cli start working but when I reset the computer and if I go to cli (because I canīt see the icon) the amiga say me that "please insert volume DirOpus in df0:". I want only to install in my hard drive to donīt have to insert disks everytime that I want to start a program. Same problem with WP4.1!

3.- How can I install LHA.run in my system?

Thank you guys!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 July 2015, 18:02   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Lubas,

Well you are using one of the most frustrating Workbenches ever, but here goes.

After using makedir you need to copy an existing icon for your new dir to see it.

Type copy tools.info <yournewdir.info> (doesn't have to be tools.info, you can use any as long as it's a dir info)

For Dopus you have to add a line to S:StartupII......

Assign Dopus: Sys:

To do this type ed s:StartupII, add the line near the bottom and then press esc x to save.

I have never used Dopus on WB1.3, does it run well/at all?
Old 19 July 2015, 18:17   #3
lubas

Hi!

First of all thank you for your fast answer.

I have done what you said but nothing is working. I write in CLI:

1.SYS:> copy tools.info <DirOpus.info>

and the CLI write:

1.SYS:>

I go also to ED and add "assign Dopus: Sys:" but when I type in Sys "DirectoryOpus" the system tell me to insert the disk.

I will continue trying

Old 19 July 2015, 18:30   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Don't use the < >, that was just for an example.

SYS:> copy Tools.info DirOpus.info

With Dopus, try assign Dopus: to wherever you made the dir;

eg Assign Dopus: Sys:DirOpus

Dopus comes with an installer but you wont get it to run on WB1.3. You would be better off upgrading to WB2.0. Life will be so much easier.
Old 19 July 2015, 19:02   #5
lubas

Thank you soooo much!
Now I can create directories with Icon images!
Yes! Directory Opus 4.12 works perfect in old Amigas! I am emulating a basic A500 (with no fast ram, etc.) and it works great.
The problem that I am still having is that I canīt install it properly (like WP4.1) . The system still ask for the disks. I have done what you said me before but nothing is working. I install the software using this in CLI:

SYS:> copy df0: wb1.3Opus

and after I write in ED what you have said me before. But nothings happen, still system ask for disk! I will try again.

I canīt use WB2.0 because I donīt have money to spend in my hobbies. I will use the 1.3 ROM and WB 1.3 until i have some money to invest in my Amiga. Since then...

Old 19 July 2015, 19:30   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It might be worth using Dopus to copy the contents of DF0: to Sys:, C: to C: etc. Just don't overwrite S:Startup-sequence.

Where are you putting the Assign Dopus in S:StartupII?

Last edited by Arnie; 19 July 2015 at 19:36.
AdSense AdSense