English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 June 2015, 23:00   #1
With MMU and FPU!

So who really created Quik and Silva?

Hall of Light provides the following credits on the Adventures of Quik and Silva:

Coder : Andreas Breebruck
Graphician : Markus Kohlmann
Musician : Chris Hülsbeck (Huelsbeck)

However, the first two seem to be a cheap pun on the following names: (for people from Germany it's really obvious)

Andreas Breebruck = Andrew Braybrook (Graftgold)
Markus Kohlmann = Mark Coleman (Bitmap Brothers)

Rumour has it that Quik and Silva was actually created by Factor 5 and uses the Turrican II engine. Thus, the real coder would be Holger Schmidt with graphics by Andreas Escher.

The question remains: Why didn't they use their real names and chose pseudonyms instead? Looking at Quik and Silva we can see that it probably infringes on several copyrights (there are elements in the level maps that look like Super Mario, Sonic is an enemy, Nebulus is in there too). After the experience with Giana Sisters probably nobody wanted to risk a lawsuit.

Still, it would be nice to have some definite information on who is actually responsible for this game. It really plays and feels like the Turrican II engine. But as of now, HOL still has these dummy credits with "Andreas Breebruck" and "Markus Kohlmann" who most certainly don't exist.

I think we need to find out who is really responsible for this game and then update the credits accordingly, i.e.

Coder: Holger Schmidt (as Andreas Breebruck)
Graphics: Andreas Escher (as Markus Kohlmann)

But first we need to find out if it's really Schmidt & Escher who were responsible for this game!

Anybody here who knows more and can shed some light unto this mystery? Maybe Chris Hülsbeck knows more? At least he's the only one who is credited for this game without being hidden behind a pseudonym.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 July 2015, 00:00   #2
Missile Command Champion

It was Kaiko/A.U.D.I.O.S. Frank Matzke did the graphics, don't know exactly the Kaiko coder for Quik and Silva and Metal Law.

Frank Matzke:

Gem´X was the first real KAIKO-game and was published via DEMONWARE (one of the founders now works again at NEON)...
developed for c64, atari st, pc and of course Amiga... all Versions were finished, but to my knowledge only the amiga and C64-discs actually reached the stores.

As NEW BITS ON THE RAM (or similarly) we finished two budget-games: QUIK'N'SILVA and METAL LAW both came to the public over magazines.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 July 2015 at 00:16.
Old 01 July 2015, 00:36   #3
Aaah that explains why I like the game so much away from the superb music the game has.
Old 01 July 2015, 06:31   #4
2 contact me: email only!

I know a contact who is in touch with Peter Thierolf, I'll ask if he did it or knows who did. I have removed the fake graphics artist.
Old 11 July 2015, 03:17   #5
I remember egging on my mate to buy an Atari ST magazine because it had a Quick N Silver as the free game on the Cover Disk.

It worked out well though as we were both amazed at how good a game it was (even on the ST) for a cover disk game.
Old 12 July 2015, 05:21   #6

At least CHuelsbeck is confirmed as musician, he recognized his artwork at the Amiga30Y event in Amsterdam while Quik+Silva has being displayed on one of the Amigas shown on site.:-)
Old 12 August 2015, 07:37   #7
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
Had a conversation with Frank Matzke today and he told me that indeed Peter Thierolf made the Amiga coding and Thomas Engel did the Atari ST port.

Old 14 August 2015, 21:13   #8
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 August 2015, 16:21   #9
My elbow tastes of icky

Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
I dug out this thread to tell everyone about this. Looks like you beat me to the punch. I wonder if Larry got his info from here or it's just coincidence that he came to the same conclusion as mc68060.

Don't go shouting about it too loudly though, it's never too late for Sega to sue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-08-15 01:12:03.png
Views:	143
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	45070  
Old 20 August 2015, 12:23   #10
With MMU and FPU!

If Peter Thierolf really did the coding, he must have used the Turrican II sources IMHO because everything about Quik and Silva feels like the Turrican II engine and I see no reason for reinventing the wheel for such a game. Still it would be interesting to know Larry's sources. If he doesn't have any, I think we can indeed believe Frank Matzke.
Old 20 August 2015, 15:05   #11
Missile Command Champion

The recycled everything they had. Can't find the interview, maybe i read it in a magazine. Quik and Silva was made to collect money because they had financial problems with Apidya. Kaiko got 15000 Deutsch marks for each version, Amiga and ST, from the Amiga Fun magazine. So they could complete the game.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 August 2015 at 15:42.
AdSense AdSense