English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 July 2015, 21:08   #161
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yes, I saw that and ignored it as troll bait, since it doesn't help anyone. Curious.
How does it not help anyone? You want to mix down your stereo output to mono, right? Well that's what it does, right?

You plug your headphones into that, and then you plug that into your Amiga.

edit: although thinking about it, you'd probably only get the mono signal in one ear, unless you were using mono headphones. or use a mono-to-stereo adapter as well.

edit2: or see this forum post http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=956278&postcount=9 and look at the schematics to convince yourself that simply connecting left and right channels together is safe to do, since this is what the Amiga does internally anyway to create a mono output when only one phono socket is connected.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 07 July 2015 at 22:35.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 July 2015, 21:16   #162
brett71

[sarcasm] You know, it's astonishing to me how a new product announcement for the Amiga community can cause such divisiveness? hehehehe [/sarcasm]
Old 08 July 2015, 08:56   #163
kolla

I have this one for office use/parties:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx
Old 08 July 2015, 11:46   #164
adrdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yeah, I don't see how mixed stereo is beneficial for musicians, I would rather have the option of dedicated output for each channel - quadrophonia I have a cheap mixer that I use with my computers, and for amiga I use two mono channels, and mix them left and right as I wish. Any musician has mixers much better than mine.
4 individual channels would be superb, that would be an automatic "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" for me.

Is it possible to do? Afaik paula mixes each channel before going out
Old 08 July 2015, 11:54   #165
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
4 individual channels would be superb, that would be an automatic "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" for me.

Is it possible to do? Afaik paula mixes each channel before going out
according to the schematic, indeed, Paula only has two outputs, left and right.

it would require re-implementing Paula. or... hmm... using TWO Paulas (not a serious suggestion)
Old 08 July 2015, 15:26   #166
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
using TWO Paulas (not a serious suggestion)
You actually aren't far off . We have discussed this topic before here at EAB and that was actually an option suggested (but debunked)

More info here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53213
Old 08 July 2015, 17:05   #167
spudje

And new cases to complement the Amiga Reloaded:
http://a1200.tindev.net/
https://www.facebook.com/a1200housings
Old 08 July 2015, 17:48   #168
sardine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
1 : no cpu in the motherboard: > this is marketing to saving components and to sell aca cards

2 : 3.5mm jack instead 2 rca > the mobo supposedly fits on the A1200 case? I do not understand

3 : no pcmia ?

4 : no scandoubler built in: marketing to sell the indivision

5 : no external floppy conector ?? again to save components

6: no USB built in, marketing to sell the rapid road

*** sincerely I don't know in which level this mobo will be better than my original A1200 motherboard: is fact I see this totally inferior
agreed!! crippled and designed to sell more products on top.

cpu should be built in, the same 14mhz 020 will do but with a simm socket for easy addition of fast ram for most users who just want a simple 1200 with good compatibility and whdload (but that would kill aca sales though)

flicker fixer / scandoubler built in

IDE header

optional extras
USB, Network, RTG, ACA1260 (if possible) for those who find the 020 with fast ram not enough.
Old 08 July 2015, 17:56   #169
BarryB
Amigaholic

No external floppy connector is the deal breaker!
Old 08 July 2015, 20:32   #170
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
How does it not help anyone? You want to mix down your stereo output to mono, right? Well that's what it does, right?

You plug your headphones into that, and then you plug that into your Amiga.

edit: although thinking about it, you'd probably only get the mono signal in one ear, unless you were using mono headphones. or use a mono-to-stereo adapter as well.

edit2: or see this forum post http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=956278&postcount=9 and look at the schematics to convince yourself that simply connecting left and right channels together is safe to do, since this is what the Amiga does internally anyway to create a mono output when only one phono socket is connected.
I'll leave others to vote on choosing between mono and 100% separated stereo by way of plugging and unplugging cables as the best option, and sort of keep sticking up for my suggestion of a headphone output that is usable.
Old 08 July 2015, 22:30   #171
kamelito
Zone Friend

I"m surprised that what Jens told to Total Amiga can't be done after all these years.

"The current name of the project is “Clone-A”. We’re replacing each chip of an Amiga 500 bit by bit. At this point, Denise, Gary, Paula and the CIAs are completely removed and replaced by small FPGA boards. It’s pretty certain that we won’t...."

The rest can be read here : http://www.totalamiga.org/files/TA25...iewExtract.pdf
But this can be a first step, come on AEON bring Jens vision to life by founding the project

Kamelito

Kamelito
Old 08 July 2015, 23:10   #172
dJOS

New Amiga motherboards from Jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
No external floppy connector is the deal breaker!

Yeah that's crazy, I still use external a1011 drives plus a 3rd party chassis with a gotek drive in it.
Old 09 July 2015, 01:12   #173
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
kamelito I see this Amiga reloaded as a first step. He's got the chips and .... what's he gonna do with them? To sell them here.

Yep, he will read this thread and others and he will take his own decision, based on:

What he has to change (time/cost) but also available software (blit).
How much it changes the original Amiga design.
If it can fit in an A600.
If he can sell later more things it will need.
If he can use better and/but cheap things (memory/internet/graphics/sound/speed).
If he can add more expensive things in the future.
Total cost under two hundred.

Two years later when he sells the last one he will make a FPGA amiga if people haven't already made it.

Just my thought.
Old 09 July 2015, 05:28   #174
AEV

Hey Jens, for the external floppy would you consider adding a pin header or leave a place on the board where people could solder there own on (not hard but voiding warranty) to plug in a ribbon cable connection for an external floppy drive.
Old 09 July 2015, 05:55   #175
IanP

Leaving the CPU off the motherboard makes sense to me. If he put one on, it wouldn't be cheap and it wouldn't satisfy every customer. People that want this board are likely to want something better than a 14Mhz 020 but with 680x0 series chip supplies being harder to source and FPGA accelerator boards out performing the real thing, designing in a specific 680x0 chip on the motherboard could be unwise.

No external floppy drive connector, no big deal. Floppy drives are outdated and you don't need two of them on a new Amiga design, one internal option is enough. The removable CF card provides extra file transfer/storage options as do the optional USB and network add-ons. Leaving out the external floppy connector I assume makes space for a VGA connector at the back of an A500.

The black & white only composite output sounds a little odd. I assume it's to discourage it's use. If a cheap colour option had been included instead that "poor" quality output may have ended up being used long term by people that don't get around to trying something better. This way you are forced to get a quality video output option.

Since the PCMCIA port is not include, which makes sense as it is an outdated technology that got replaced by USB ports and integration of wifi/network adapters, more memory, optical drives, flash memory etc in the PC world. I'd like to see USB included as standard on the new motherboard.

Using a modern laptop power supply makes sense. It can be cheap and will do the job reliably compared to old Amiga PSU's.

Keyboard options are bound to be limited to re-using an old A500 or A1200 keyboard given the target housings unless somebody hacks together or sources an alternative new keyboard solution.

The legacy parallel, serial and joystick ports are all very cheap to include as you've got the full chipset and these standard connectors cost peanuts. So although the parallel and serial ports may not see much action these days there inclusion seems reasonalbe. A modern mouse port (PS2 or USB) with a (microcontroller if needed and) jumper to translate the mouse signals to the Amiga mouse input would make a good addition. Amiga mice are hard to find, don't or wont last forever and aren't generally the best ever designs.

I'd like to see a real time clock included as standard on the motherboard. When most A500s and A1200s were sold as floppy only machines leaving a clock (and leaky battery) off the motherboard saving a few cents on the BOM probably made some sense but what motherboard doesn't include an RTC in this day and age. Just don't choose a leaky old battery type like they did back in the day.

Leaving the network adapter off the motherboard probably makes sense if it keeps the initial cost down significantly. Only machines with a fast CPU and plenty of memory can run a web browser to any usable degree and people aren't short of devices for tasks like e-mails, irc and web browsing. Any smart phone or tablet will outperform a classic amiga for these.
Old 09 July 2015, 22:49   #176
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'll leave others to vote on choosing between mono and 100% separated stereo by way of plugging and unplugging cables as the best option, and sort of keep sticking up for my suggestion of a headphone output that is usable.
back when i was recording my Amiga music (and Turrican music obviously) onto cassette tapes my dad made me a box with a switch on it.

It is really very simple to convert Amiga sound output to mono, and reduce the volume as well just with a variable resistor (as Akira suggests is necessary for headphones). You don't need expensive or bulky amps that require a power supply.

i appreciate that you would like to get mono out from the Amiga without any external device or modification but i also appreciate that Jens probably won't want to do any such thing, but it is really not a difficult problem to work around and imho not worth complaining about.
Old 09 July 2015, 23:35   #177
kolla

He is not asking for mono, he is asking for balanced/paned stereo, meaning that left-sound will also exist on right output (25% volume f.eks) and vice versa, creating a sound more bearable for headphones. My argument is that you would want an external mixer anyhow, for volume control, equalizer and amp for otherwise low 14bit AHI output.
Old 10 July 2015, 09:59   #178
demolition
Unregistered User

It should also be possible to do passive variable cross mix of the two channels with a stereo potentiometer, however you cannot get a decent headphone output as the output impedance would be too high which would mean a big boost in the low frequencies in the headphones as you reach their resonance frequency. Also, this boost would vary with any passive volume control, so you really need an active solution (opamp) to avoid this.
Old 10 July 2015, 10:38   #179
Nostromo

I am really interested in this port, although I do have a query. If I get the HDMI option, will it be possible to get 50hz output?
Old 10 July 2015, 10:42   #180
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I am really interested in this port, although I do have a query. If I get the HDMI option, will it be possible to get 50hz output?
With vsync, no less. With an example config we can load that gives a stutter free scandoubled PAL.
AdSense AdSense