English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 14 March 2016, 17:43   #541
spudje
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
Here's hoping the original plan for a working prototype in 2016 Q1 is still gonna happen (2 weeks left) and Jens will have some nice updates for us...
spudje is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2016, 00:01   #542
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Here's hoping the original plan for a working prototype in 2016 Q1 is still gonna happen (2 weeks left) and Jens will have some nice updates for us...
Well, the timeframe was a best guess back in August 2015 I think. But ye.. I'm waiting for news too. I was hoping to pre-order right about now, but it's been awfully quiet from Jens in these forums lately.
Even stuff like the A604n is sold out everywhere. I think he could easily sell about a 100 or so quickly as ppl are dusting off their a600s for the Vampire but still want 2MB chip and maybe RTC + clockport for USB..
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 15 March 2016, 00:38   #543
NovaCoder
Registered User
NovaCoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Posts: 3,361
I was thinking the same thing, I guess Jens has been busy with his other business interests recently.
NovaCoder is offline  
Old 15 March 2016, 13:14   #544
grond
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I think he could easily sell about a 100 or so quickly as ppl are dusting off their a600s for the Vampire but still want 2MB chip and maybe RTC + clockport for USB..
Kipper is also selling a600 chipmem with RTC. I guess most people who want some will just order it from him together with their vampires.
grond is offline  
Old 15 March 2016, 14:50   #545
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,339
Well I got mine from Majsta and we also know Kipper is swamped.. +higher shipping cost from Canada... But is kippers chipram board confirmed to work with the Vampire?
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 16 March 2016, 16:18   #546
grond
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
But is kippers chipram board confirmed to work with the Vampire?
I have both, so yes, it does.
grond is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 02:06   #547
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I have both, so yes, it does.
Ok thanx @grond, good to know, just not sure I dare order anything from kipper at this moment in time ;-)
Now.. anyone seen any activity from Jens in *any* forum lately?
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 10:54   #548
kolla
Registered User
kolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 460
And whatever happened to that new fancy A1200 case kickstarter that was supposed to launch?
kolla is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 11:09   #549
spudje
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
Which case, the one that got funded or the other one. The other one is still trying to get all things sorted before starting the crowdfundng phase.
spudje is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 13:22   #550
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails
Lord Aga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 847
He might as well be figuring out what an Amiga is and what its case looks like.

On the other hand, the funded Kickstarter case is on the track. With production beginning this month. We (the backers) get regular updates and info.

This Kickstarter (Philippe's) cases are perfect for Jens' new motherboards. So I hope he is still working on them.
Lord Aga is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 13:34   #551
Overflow
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 193
Amigastore.eu shows restock of 604n in April, and since Im rather far behind in the Vampire queue Ill wait until I cancel that order and switch to kipper2k's card.

But as you say, there is probarly quite the demand for A600 chipmem cards.
Overflow is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 13:59   #552
roomeo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Telemark
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Ok thanx @grond, good to know, just not sure I dare order anything from kipper at this moment in time ;-)
Now.. anyone seen any activity from Jens in *any* forum lately?
He posted in the rapidroad thread a couple of days ago..
roomeo is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 14:10   #553
grond
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Now.. anyone seen any activity from Jens in *any* forum lately?
I think the last comment I saw from him was him mentioning that his turbo cards were selling like hot cakes.
grond is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 16:07   #554
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York City
Posts: 16,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
This Kickstarter (Philippe's) cases are perfect for Jens' new motherboards. So I hope he is still working on them.
Only they aren't because Jens already decided to support and go with the ones that haven't been made yet, not the french ones.

I think Jens is maybe having second thoughts about this, and that would be natural. Is it really a product that will sell as much as his accelerators?

Also, the appearance of Vampire has rattled the accelerators scene, thankfully. So there might be a lot of thinking around. Vampire's main "disadvantage" is that it runs on A600s only, but that is soon to change.
Akira is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 16:16   #555
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails
Lord Aga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Only they aren't because Jens already decided to support and go with the ones that haven't been made yet, not the french ones.
I know what you mean, but I think it's more of a case of Jens liking the concept of the "second" case. Not exclusively supporting them.
After all, the Kickstarter cases should be faithful to the original, and Jens would first and foremost target the original cases. He wouldn't be placing his hopes on an imaginary project which may or may not see the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is it really a product that will sell as much as his accelerators?
Of course it is. And it is a product with an ever brightening future. What will you/I do when your/my A1200 mobo breaks down. Hunt another used one on "the bays". Sure. And after that one dies. How many of them are there still ?
So Jens' new motherboards make a lot of sense, and they are sure sellers for years to come.
Lord Aga is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 17:57   #556
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York City
Posts: 16,103
People will use whatever case they want but Jens clearly stated support ONLY for the other model and if you had not read it there was some sort of argument between him and the french case makers on these forums. This doesn't stop anyone from using them though.

As for its use, why would they sell as much as accelerators? Most A1200s are still working and if they don't people get them fixed. You say "of course it is" but put forward no facts backing this claim.
How many motehrboards are actually out there (do you have a number?) and when exactly will they run out (again, do you have a date?)?

I changed my Amiga 1200 motherboard once because I did something stupid to the old one. I recapped it once after that. I also got a video chip fixed once. Still same motherboard.
I also got my A600 for 20+ years. It's been repaired at least 4 or 5 times. Still working. Why would I need a new motherboard? It's working fine. Unless I let stuff happen to it like acid leaking on it or whatever, it's a perfectly good motherboard and its failing parts can be fixed and/or replaced by a technician (we have many Amiga technicians around).

I think you are overestimating demand for this kind of product. I think it's great for building an A1200 from the ground up for someone who doesn't have one or wants an extra (you would be getting a NEW A1200!), but for the existing userbase, it'll be only for those who need to have all the things or really need this futureproof machine. Personally, at the price it will probably go for, I wouldn't be buying it. I love the C64 reloaded but I don't have one, there's no reason for me to have one.
And when this motherboard breaks, and when Jens runs out of custom chips (will he ever??), what then? This is the same "logic" you're posing. You talk about "years to come" when we have seen that Jens' products run their course and don't come back. Some times he releases an updated product in their stead, some times not. You CANNOT assure these motehrbaords would be available "for years to come" especially without inside knowledge of the market, knowledge I believe Jens of all people would clearly have.
Akira is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 19:37   #557
Meshuggah
1200 gamer

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Paris, France
Age: 39
Posts: 34
I personally have no need for a new MB in the form of what Jens is proposing. Something like a standalone vampire that fits a 1200 case and I'd be very interested.
Meshuggah is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 20:04   #558
eXeler0
Registered User

eXeler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
People will use whatever case they want but Jens clearly stated support ONLY for the other model and if you had not read it there was some sort of argument between him and the french case makers on these forums. This doesn't stop anyone from using them though.
@Akira I Think you misunderstood this part. Jens did not officially support Phils kickstarter because he thought the other one was better. That however, is not the same as making the Reloaded mobo in such a way that it will only work with that other case. That would be pretty stupid and if you take the time to read the Reloaded Wiki this is what it says:

"Form factor

The Amiga became really popular when the A500 has hit the market: A computer in a keyboard case. We therefore mainly aim at the A500 case. A second target will be the A1200 case: We'll do everything that's possible to make one single design fit both these very popular cases. We've already heard calls to make it fit the A600 case as well, but that's currently on the "nice to have" list, and not a "must have". There is one prime directive for the form factor design: The target cases are classic computer cases, so "little to no" modifications shall be required to install the board."
eXeler0 is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 20:50   #559
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails
Lord Aga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 847
What eXeler0 said

And yes, I have seen the case(s) discussion. I believe I (and eXeler0) got it right. We may be wrong, Jens can shed shed some more light when he comes.

On top of everything, I do know some German. So I read German forums. Which kinda makes me a tad better informed than the non-German speaking crowd, if I do say so myself.
Now, I am not a market analyst, or in any case affiliated with any Amiga software/hardware developer, but my impression is that there is enough interest for this product to make it justifiable.

I am really glad your mobos are serving you well, and I hope I will have the same luck you do. But time is really working against us here. Do you think fixing the fixes on the 20 year old hardware has a bright future ? I don't know how many of them are still out there, but it is a finite number that only goes down with each year, not up. And even if you buy a replacement board it is still 20+ years old, just happen to be working still.

If Jens (or anyone) makes another batch of mobos, they can serve us for another 20-30 years. That, in my book, is "years to come". He said that he had a huge supply of chips, so this won't be a one-time 100-pieces run.

Used A1200 motherboards go for about 100 EUR. And they can die the next day. With new mobos we have warranty. Even if the price is higher. A choice is always good. I don't know why people get upset about upcoming products. If you don't want it, there are people who do.

Sorry I couldn't put up more facts. But there are very few facts left in the Amiga land. Most things require a leap of faith. This is mainly my feeling, and positive attitude
Lord Aga is offline  
Old 18 March 2016, 21:43   #560
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails
Lord Aga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 847
No man, we read your posts carefully. It's just that you are making a very vocal statement which doesn't really mean anything.

We agree that Jens will/should target the original cases format. It is a reasonable/German thing to do So everyone can use an old case, or a Kickstarter one since they should be identical in measures. We agree.

And then you go: "But, BUT BUT, Jens ENDORSES the other case !!!11 one one ! eleven"
What does that mean in reality ? It doesn't mean anything. Sure, Jens may like them. We may even see a bundle some day, although I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

But a Kickstarter case will still be perfect for the new motherboard. And this is something you jumped to disprove (you said that it wouldn't be). Here lies the root of this silly argument, where you are basically negating, and then agreeing, and then accusing us of not reading carefully

Regarding this fact hunting...
It is downright silly. I didn't want to come across hostile, but what are these facts you talk about ?

Can you give me some facts ?
Is it a fact that my mobo will live forever ?
Is it a fact that I will be able to repair it even if it does break someday ?
Is it a fact that there are enough mobos for us to last forever ?
Is it a fact that there is no market for a new mobo ?
Can you sign a guarantee letter that my mobo will work forever ?
Will you pay the costs of repairs ?

You don't really have to answer these questions, they are just an illustration of how silly "facts" can be. As I said, there are very few facts left in the Amiga land. I don't know why are you insisting on this kind of talk.

Individual products have been selling well for years. Accelerators have sold in hundreds (well I guess this is one fact I can pull out). A lot of people (Amiga-wise lot) are interested in new mobos. People will (need to) buy them. I don't see any reason to doubt this. Ye of little faith are entitled to your opinion, and I respect your skepticism, but it's kinda silly to waste your time in threads about things you have no faith in.
Lord Aga is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Amiga 600 motherboards majsta MarketPlace 6 06 September 2012 20:20
Jens Schoenfeld : XSurf2 Diagnostics help ancalimon support.Hardware 1 30 November 2011 18:46
Update on Jens FlickerFixer for A1200? mfletcher support.Hardware 25 11 July 2008 00:08
Met Jens Schoenfeld :) blade002 Amiga scene 7 10 July 2007 02:31
New from Jens Schoenfeld Methanoid News 20 01 July 2005 21:48

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.26282 seconds with 12 queries