English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 December 2002, 04:37   #1
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Amiga TOSEC USENET flood

It has been about nine months since I posted one of these notices, so here I go again.

If you don't have access to Usenet and a high-speed internet connect, woe is thee. In my opinion, it is by far the BEST way to get ahold of TOSEC'd files.

Once again, alt.binaries.emulators.misc is being flooded with Amiga TOSEC files. Right now, a gentleman named ant-on-ee is flooding the group with cover disks and demos. Great stuff. Go on over and grab a handful or two.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 December 2002, 04:39   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

ant-on-ee is the flood master. He rocks! Thanks for the heads-up. Feels like old times again!
Old 22 December 2002, 05:48   #3
v8juice

I have it on very good authority that ant-on-ee is a nutter, bless him... & thanks to easynews I can get these, even on dial up. Now, when will this ever end? Isn't CAPS about to start something? Yikes!
Old 22 December 2002, 06:55   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hey - how is EasyNews? That is to say, how long is the retention time? Are articles (binary) purged after a certain amount of time or by how much content is there? Is there a lot of parts missing on multi-part messages?

I am looking for a good third-party commercial news provider, but preferrably not one that has a download cap per month. The last one I used was crap...they promised high speed, but I rarely exceeded 56k on my cable connection; you had to bounce between three different servers, depending on different criteria (retention, better propagation, etc.); and after a month, I could not connect to the servers any longer (yet they managed to keep billing me!), plus connecting to the servers was a hit and miss thing anyhow.

I've been to the web sites for new providers and they all share the same hyperbole, so I'd rather rely on the opinions of actual subscribers, since in my experience, the promises made by these companies very often are broken.
Old 22 December 2002, 07:13   #5
v8juice

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Hey - how is EasyNews? That is to say, how long is the retention time? Are articles (binary) purged after a certain amount of time or by how much content is there? Is there a lot of parts missing on multi-part messages?

I am looking for a good third-party commercial news provider, but preferrably not one that has a download cap per month.
Via their web interface, 30 days retention with downloads resumable plus all files are already decoded. On the down side, 6 gigs costs $9.98. As long as the files get posted correctly, they show up just fine. I could not live in bum fook nowhere without easynews & no, I don't work for them, just pay them twice a month... They are the best for dial up users, in my opinion.
Old 22 December 2002, 08:04   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Web interface? Ewww...I hope they have support for NNTP (ie, Agent).
Old 22 December 2002, 08:27   #7
v8juice

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Web interface? Ewww...I hope they have support for NNTP (ie, Agent).
Of course, but the retention is not near as good. Via the web interface, you can use Go!zilla, GetRight, etc. I only use Agent to retrieve new headers anymore... Used to use Agent for everything, split up files & downloaded each part, one by one, then combine them but no more. Why bother? The only problem with easynews' web interface is when someone doesn't post something properly & that's not their fault (easynews). Now, if I had high speed access, I would be downloading all the recently posted Amiga files right now but ant-on-ee is very, very good so I'm not worried, I've got a month to line them up at my lesiure. Easynews has a 3 day free trial, I think, why not try them out, go for the web interface & see how you like it...

A happy 2 years+ easynews user
Old 22 December 2002, 17:57   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hmmm...why would they give better retention to web users than NNTP? That sucks. It's as if they have two different services, rather than one. I just don't understand how they work that (or why). I've tried usenet/web combo and didn't care for it. Can you use their free trial in Agent?

Another reason I hate web/usenet is that nasty web code, banners, etc. (things you don't want from spammers) gets launched in a web browser that just sits idle in a news agent.
Old 22 December 2002, 22:07   #9
Fissuras
Old Luny

I assure you, the web interface at easynews is superb. It is by far the easiest way of downloading files ever. Files in a thread (like ABEM) are sorted by name and pages are sorted by day. If there are 360 files of a TOSEC group just check the first and the last, click in range so all files in between are marked, chose ZIP so that all files are zipped together in one huge zip (in 0 time) and use Getright to download.

I used newsbin, but the web interface is waaaaay easier and faster, as there is no need to download message headers, or to decode files, it is just plain simple.

OH, AND BEFORE I FORGET, CHECK alt.binaries.warez.amiga as there is a HUGE flood that started a month ago and have not stopped yet (too many OLd and New TOSECs)...

Last edited by Fissuras; 23 December 2002 at 00:39.
AdSense AdSense