English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 June 2015, 21:00   #21
Aughie

I fired up Emacs but it cannot any Parbench enteries in either the startup sequence or the user startup. I remember I owned a Psion 5 back in the day and I regularly connected it to the Amiga. There is even Amiga Psion software on it to do this. Unfortunately the Psion suffered from an inherent ribbon cable problem as opening and closing constantly eventually broke the links in it. The hinges also expired on mine. The Parbench entries lead me to think its trying to get the Amiga online. I will try the two mouse mouse button trick and see how that goes

PS Was there a starup drawer you just dropped items into?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 June 2015, 22:58   #22
Nobby_UK

YUP :
Old 11 June 2015, 01:04   #23
Aughie

http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/ParBENCH31

Seems Parbench was used with a special parallel cable to allow tranferring files between two Amigas. I dont remember doing this but I must have. I used to own a towered a1200 as my main computer. The above URL gives a list of where the Parbench bits all go on the Amiga so I might try removing them manually unless somebody can suggest something less crude
Old 11 June 2015, 04:04   #24
Aughie

I followed the trail and created drawers where I shifted the offending bits of Parbench and now it boots up normally. However I discovered a new problem as the shift key dosent work on the keyboard so no !"%$ etc.

I think pulling out the ribbon cable may have damaged it. Can it be fixed?
Old 11 June 2015, 07:42   #25
ajk

Did you just pull out the ribbon cable without releasing the clamp? If so, investigate closely for any damage. People have fixed keyboard cables by cutting off a very short length of it so you get fresh contact areas all the way to the end.
Old 11 June 2015, 12:03   #26
jools_

What clamp? I have accidentally pulled out mine many times and it has always worked when putting it back. It happens easily if you opened up the amiga and try to rearrange the LED-cable...
Old 11 June 2015, 13:34   #27
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools_ View Post
What clamp? I have accidentally pulled out mine many times and it has always worked when putting it back. It happens easily if you opened up the amiga and try to rearrange the LED-cable...
Sounds like someone hasn't got a clamp.

It's a small piece of plastic with a slot in it that goes over the keyboard connector to retain the ribbon in place.

Most times it just requires you to lift it slightly to remove the cable but sometimes it comes off the connector with enough force.
Old 11 June 2015, 14:20   #28
ajk

Here is a picture of the connector. The top part with the thin slot needs to be pulled up first to release the cable. Otherwise you need considerable force to get the cable out (and might damage it).

Without the clamp (or if you don't push it back down) the cable won't stay in very well.
Old 11 June 2015, 21:25   #29
Aughie

I didnt know anything about the clamp thingy. I just pulled it out and pushed it back in again This could prove expensive OUCH!

Last edited by Aughie; 11 June 2015 at 23:19.
Old 24 June 2015, 02:52   #30
Aughie

I tried cutting 1mm off the old keyboard cable but the fault remained as the shift key still didnt work. I then repeated the cutting but that just stopped all keys working.

I since saw a 2nd hand A1200 keyboard on EBay so took a chance and bought it. I have plugged it in and happy days all keys now respond perfectly.

Not sure what to do with the old one

Last edited by Aughie; 24 June 2015 at 03:00.
Old 24 June 2015, 10:01   #31
crazyc

Keep for spares
(Key caps and springs etc)
Old 25 June 2015, 14:48   #32
Aughie

I am starting to gather the bits I need to transfer my A1200 into a PC case. I have scourced a PC Key 1200 Keyboard Adapter on ebay and bought it. How do you actually connect one of these to the amiga?

When I was having my earlier keyboard woes on one occasion I accidentally completely removed the plastic locking sleeve into which you push the ribbon cable. Luckily it reseated easily and is currently working fine. Do I need to remove this to use the PC adaptor or do I push it into the top of the locking sleeve? I only get one shot at this and when I do track down a suitable PC case I want to do things properly.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by Aughie; 30 June 2015 at 21:30.
Old 03 July 2015, 00:40   #33
Nobby_UK

Clip Off for PC Key 1200 --- At least it is on mine

AdSense AdSense